Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Folks running Tarett camber plates - do you have to run your struts fully inboard?

I called Tarett and Ira is out of the office right now, and I need to finish my install tonight.

I've got Tarett front camber plates set into high-camber mode, and when I install my strut, I have to run the strut tops fully inboard, or else the outboard edge of the camber plate is hitting something and the plate doesn't mount flush to the underside.

I'm about to finish buttoning up that side and doing the other side tonight, but before I go any further I want to make sure I haven't made a configuration error.

I know several of us on here are running these plates, has anyone seen the issue I am describing? If I have to run fully inboard that's fine, as I can use LCA shims to tweak the camber if needed, but I don't want to button it all up if I have made a mistake

I'll upload a photo shortly, but anyone that has installed these plates would know what I am talking about (if indeed that is how they are...)

Thanks

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #2

Actually I can see it in this picture from 101projects:

Unless the strut tops are fully (or nearly fully) inboard, the plate hits the protusion pointed in the photo, and won't sit flush.

So looks like it is normal.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

So am I understanding correctly from this, that the tarret camber plates can't be used effectively without adjustable LCA's?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
So am I understanding correctly from this, that the tarret camber plates can't be used effectively without adjustable LCA's?
No, that is not correct.

I have them and they add 1 deg camber with stock LCA's
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #5

Following this with interest as I have no knowledge of how camber plate adjustments are properly done.

I would expect to see one part of the plate perform the mounting function ( to strut tower ) and the other portion ( moveable/ adjustable ) housing the top of the strut such that it can be moved inboard and outboard against index markings for coarse reference.

These features are not immediately evident in images. All I see is a nice mounting arrangement, bearing, and elimination of compliance.....looks like one would still have to slot strut tower holes.

Elephant racing pieces look to have the above described features save index markings

Last edited by jaykay; 12-26-2018 at 10:22 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Following this with interest as I have no knowledge of how camber plate adjustments are properly done.

I would expect to see one part of the plate perform the mounting function ( to strut tower ) and the other portion ( moveable/ adjustable ) housing the top of the strut such that it can be moved inboard and outboard against index markings for coarse reference.

These features are not immediately evident in images. All I see is a nice mounting arrangement, bearing, and elimination of compliance.....looks like one would still have to slot strut tower holes.

Elephant racing pieces look to have the above described features save index markings
You don't need to slot the towers to get the additional 1 deg of camber
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post

The tarrett plates have 2 sets of bolt holes. One for standard camber adjustment, another for -1.1 on top of standard camber adjustment.

My Ksport camber plates need to be tightened regularly and I wonder if it is because my plates are not sitting flush in the tower.