Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #61

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
sad to say its been a waiting game for parts.

So, as anyone who has dealt with the long AOS tubes, its a fragile pain in the ass. I initially ordered some an12 braided hose to replace it, but seems that was too small, so I have an16 hose arriving today. I lowered the motor .5" with some readily available spacers. Once the hose is in, it should be quick work. I should be done by saturday.

If you had all the parts ahead of time, this wouldn't be so bad. I'm working on it in little pieces, which is making it feel much longer.
Recommend you replace the "air breather" at the front of the driver side head where that hose will connect too.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #62

did that when I swapped the motor in last year.

doing that is a real pain with the motor in the car.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #63

Garage
Don´t mean to destroy the thread, but do "we" believe that the 996-manifold is the ticket to more power (in relation to the usual breathing-mods)? If I understand Woody:s posts correctly it sure seems that way.. I´ve always thought that the "next level" needs to be very expensive: turbo/compressor/larger displacement. But if we can get close to 300hp with the 996 manifold, that would be really great value for money
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #64

Garage
I´m also curious about how the lowering of the engine is done, what spacers? Pics?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #65

I think the theory is that the 3.2L in the boxster makes 258bhp and the 3.4L in the early 996 makes 300bhp. Partly the differences are due to the airbox, which is truly pathetic in the 986, as well as exhaust.

With a 3.2L with a 996 throttle body, full exhaust, 987 airbox, pullies, and the plenum, it should produce as much or more than a stock 996 given the very small displacement difference.

As to lowering the motor.

The stock setup is some M10 by 83mm studs.

I purchased M10 by 100mm studs along with 4 M10 .5" spacers.

so you basically support motor, remove stock nuts and studs

Lower motor by .5" or more

slide in spacer, thread in stud, and tighten nut and you're done.

Took maybe an hour. I didn't lower the tranny as I believe the .5" difference should not cause any weirdness with drivetrain angles.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #66

Its done, car runs pretty damn good. More details tomorrow
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #67

Garage
Quote:
Damn, very cool!!! Looking forward to more reports!!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #68

Garage
Quote:
I think the theory is that the 3.2L in the boxster makes 258bhp and the 3.4L in the early 996 makes 300bhp. Partly the differences are due to the airbox, which is truly pathetic in the 986, as well as exhaust.

With a 3.2L with a 996 throttle body, full exhaust, 987 airbox, pullies, and the plenum, it should produce as much or more than a stock 996 given the very small displacement difference.

Took maybe an hour. I didn't lower the tranny as I believe the .5" difference should not cause any weirdness with drivetrain angles.
Thanks for a good answer! The "problem" I have in general is that I have seen any conclusive dyno figures on air-mods, many reports of "seat of the pants", and then on the dyno there isn´t much. Will be really interesting to find out how yours run when you have had the chance to evaluate.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 AM   #69
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Well, congratulations to you for your perseverance and thanks for keeping us in the loop!
I will re-read this thread and consider doing this with the 3.6 intake manifolds, tb and fuel rails, etc that I already have from my 996 engine teardown. Since I already have the airbox in place and the headers and high flow cats, it may be worth the time and trouble.
And, of course, my engine will be on a stand!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #70

Quote:

Thanks for this any pictures of this set up? This arrangement sounds like the rear mounts which would lower the transmission would it not? I can't recall the exact configuration up front but would have thought that there would be no facility to lower there......I will have to did up my old mount and have a look
Old 02-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #71

ok here goes. Might be a bit rambly.

General steps:

1. Drain pressure from fuel lines, remove battery cables, remove stock intake plenums, all associated vacuum lines, harness connections, and fuel rails. Be super careful with the AOS hose if you plan to reuse. Its a biatch to get in or out and if you flex it, it will crack.
2. Remove SAI pump if you haven't already done so to get plenums out.
3. Remove AOS
4. Remove Alternator and loosen a/ compressor.
5. Clean and vacuum areas in question, making sure to stuff towels or similar in intake ports
6. Mark, drill (5.5mm) and tap (m6x1x15mm depth) your holes. My holes were not perfectly located so I had to hog out aluminum intake risers. Not perfect, but good enough.
7. bolt down lowers with new steel gasket (make sure to slot gasket holes if you had to widen intake holes). Retighten a/c compressor and reinstall alternator
8. I used a 3/4" hose with hose spring to prevent collapse to replace that dreaded AOS hose. That will slot through the holes in the aluminum riser. I ended up using the 45 degree angle AOS connector from the upper AOS hose to make the angle better on the lower AOS fitting, but I don't think its necessary.
9. cut tabs off stock fuel rail, use rubber clamps with longer m6 bolt and nut to hold rail in place. On my model year, the regulator side rails is bigger than the other side oddly enough. Could not tell you why, but clamps will need to be sized accordingly (i used 3/4" clamps and slotted and shortened them as necessary.
10. bolt down fuel rail being cautious about how fuel lines are run.
11. Lower the motor by at least 1.25" using spacers. I ended up using some thick washers along with my spacers to make a more solid lowering arrangement. Any less than this and the damn passenger side plenum hits the body. At 1.25", its close, but it clears. I lowered the tranny about .25" by using spacers above the triangle brackets that hold the tranny. This is only possible with aftermarket mounts.
12. Cut the vacuum hose on the drivers side with the slide on connection. Run 5/8" hose with hose spring from the remaining line to the slide on connector piece to make a splice. The hose spring is necessary to prevent the hose from collapsing. Clamp with regular hose clamps, but don't go nuts
13. Route all your vacuum lines as necessary. You have the one from the fuel pressure regulator and one from the SAI (with check valve (blow in it to confirm which side goes where)) that go into the crossover boots so be mindful there.
14.Remember to hook up your crossover flap vac lines and electrical connector
15. Bolt on your upper plenums with new gaskets. 7.5 foot lbs on all intake bolts. Don't torque these yet, leave them in but loose.
15. squeeze in the crossover tubes. much easier with upper plenums installed but not bolted down hard
16. Install all remaining ancillaries, tighten all clamps, secure plenums, zip tie or otherwise secure wiring harnesses, etc etc.
17. I had to shorten my custom intake tube to make the angle better. Maybe 1" cut off did the trick.

Honestly, the hard part and long part was waiting for parts and trying to do stuff without removing nearby things that just made life harder.

Pro-tip, if you think it might be easier to do something with something else removed, just do it. wasting time trying to sort it out with the thing in the way will just frustrate

Pro-tip 2: Don't tighten much of anything until you have everything in place (does not apply to aluminum risers). Basically the upper plenums, hose clamps on the crossover, etc should stay loose till you're ready for final tightening.

Pro-tip 3: Upon start up, check for vacuum leaks and particularly fuel leaks. Have fire extinguisher handy. Luckily I had none of either.

Tools: drill, metric drill set with 5.5mm bit, m6x1 tap, drill block (optional, i probably would not use again), 90 degree drill bit holder the accepts round bits, variety of hand tools, maybe a dremel, utility knife

The car runs fine and power felt good, but its been a little while since I've driven. Real test will come when I get out to the track and can measure vmax at end of straights.

No pics right now as I was in a rush to finish, but since I still have to play around with a few things, I'll take some.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #72
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Wow! Great write up.
I’m worried about clearance with 1.25” lowered engine, 1.25” lowered car, and 2 litre deep sump.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Wow! Great write up.
I’m worried about clearance with 1.25” lowered engine, 1.25” lowered car, and 2 litre deep sump.
I have the car lowered by like 1.5", with 2qt deep sump and its certainly low, but its not hateful. High manhole covers and the like need to be avoided.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #74

Garage
Soo, how is it running now, have you had time to evaluate the performance?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Soo, how is it running now, have you had time to evaluate the performance?
So the car performs well. I would say that power is up across the board, but 10hp is not super easy to feel. Im way faster at lime rock then i was but the weather was more conducive also.

All in all, id say its a worthwhile mod if you get the parts cheap and can do the work yourself.

True data will come at lightning or tbolt as thats the best comparison
Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #76
Who's askin'?

Nice write up! I love the fearlessness exhibited, too! Haha. A man after my own heart.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Wow! Great write up.
I built a skid plate for mine and it has protected the motor quite a few times. It has rash marks all over it.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #78

Garage
So, what is the general impression after the summer? Still happy? I'm considering wether to try this mod during the upcoming winter.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #79

While I do believe it added a bit of top end power, I'm not sure its worth the trouble as the lower ground clearance and work involved. If you want the absolute last hp, do it, otherwise I'm not convinced.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #80

Garage
Quote:
While I do believe it added a bit of top end power, I'm not sure its worth the trouble as the lower ground clearance and work involved. If you want the absolute last hp, do it, otherwise I'm not convinced.
Thanks, then I might settle for the easier mods, exhaust, airbox, maf, throttle body, plenum and tune!