Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #41

Garage
Picture is not of a Boxster engine. Intake plenum is on the wrong side, as is the oil fill. Suspect it is a 996 engine.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #42
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I wonder how many times I have posted this link. On a Boxster, 911monty is quite right.
Sounds like everyone here agrees?
what'd I miss?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #43
Who's askin'?

Hey y'all! Great news!
The leakdown numbers are FANTASTIC!
I've got less than 3% loss in ANY cylinder. Honestly, given the consistency and the sealing, I'm still wondering if the P.O. put a new motor in this. I've yet to see any signs of any wear in the motor, and the borescope view doesn't show me anything that looks like mileage accrual on the cylinder walls or piston tops. No carbon build-up, no visible ridge on the cyl. wall. I mean, it's CLEAN!!!

Anyway: this is good news. I now feel confident enough to buy new seals, o-rings, AOS, etc and button her back up.

I'm considering replacing the coil packs, since they're all out, and a couple are cracked. Preferred brand?

I'm ALSO considering a sump / baffle while I'm under there. Preferred manufacturer brand / style?

Anything else I should do? (I already did thermostat & water pump this fall)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #44
Pathological Tinkerer

Liquid oil in the exhaust.... and other oddities

Great news!!!

My car delivered a constant misfire one day this summer and I replaced all my coils with an updated 997 part from Beru. All of the old ones had cracked potting.

I ordered a 2 qt Bilt Racing sump/baffle along with their IMS solution from LN during their 25% - 30% Black Friday Sale based on my reading of multiple forums. Comes with the 997 oil return tubes.

The 997 oil pressure release piston/spring are also something others have done that I will also do when I do the sump/IMS.

All fluids changed?

Last edited by P_Carfahrer; 12-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #45
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
Great news!!!

My car delivered a constant misfire one day this summer and I replaced all my coils with an updated 997 part from Beru. All of the old ones had cracked potting.

I ordered a 2 qt Bilt Racing sump/baffle along with their IMS solution from LN during their 25% - 30% Black Friday Sale based on my reading of multiple forums. Comes with the 997 oil return tubes.

The 997 oil pressure release piston/spring are also something others have done that I will also do when I do the sump/IMS.

All fluids changed?
I see your location, but don't recognize the forum name..... Do I know you personally yet?

Yeah, I was looking at that updated BERU part for the coils. I'll probably go that way.

I won't buy the LN sump, so I'll keep looking around and reading as much as I can.

I already did the oil pump piston & spring.

Your "all fluids changed?" question leads me to think that in fact you don't know me yet, haha.
Yes.... all fluids changed regularly, frequently, preemptively, proactively, anal-retentively, and any other way you can think of.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #46
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I see your location, but don't recognize the forum name..... Do I know you personally yet?

We have exchanged emails and PMs but haven’t met yet as I was planning on looking you up at the Oct DE event but I was there Saturday only and missed the now ‘infamous’ Boxster fire at UMP you had on Friday.

P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote