Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #1

Window switches

One of my windows is intermittent and will only go up or down and inch or two every time I press the switch in the centre console. If I keep pressing it I can still get the window to go up or down and it hasn't completely failed yet.
I was trying to swap the left and right swotches yesterday and for the life of me could not get them removed from the small wiring harnesses under the centre console. I see two tabs on the connector which i lifted thinking this would release the switch but no dice...I dont see any other tabs etc...I am thinking I am overlooking something...can anyone enlighten me as to how to remore these?

Thanks

jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There are no tabs that hold the connectors on. You just have to pull, pry and wiggle.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks. They did come off and I swapped them and it's not the switch..I was concerned about breaking them. Now to find the actual problem.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It sounds like the motor in the regulator has gotten weak. Drawing too much current...
Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Not sure. I disconnected the battery and tried the reset by holding the switches. I was wondering if its the microswitch somehow causing it
Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
Not sure. I disconnected the battery and tried the reset by holding the switches. I was wondering if its the microswitch somehow causing it
What "microswitch"?
Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #7

The door handle switch...does this not make the wondow lower part way when you open the door? Mine don't do this allthe time. Also the switch up where the convertible top release is ( microswitch? )....this doen't always lower that window when I release the top top fold it down. Because the window only moves in small increments usually when I push the switch in the centre console I was thinking that the motor and regulator might be ok. I am new to all this and still learning with my first Porsche so hope my nomenclature isn't too far off

I had also read in another post or perhaps in the Dempsey book that the door wondowswitch inside the door can make the gauges act up...my tach is not very responsive nor is my speedometer

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #8

My driver's window has decided to stop working. It doesn't drop when I open the door with either inside or outside handle. I checked the fuse for good measure and no problem there. I swapped out the center console switches and the problem stayed with the driver's window. Trying the key in the door doesn't lower the window either. It's a real pain to open and close the door when the window doesn't drop!

From searching it appears the door latch or microswitch might be the problem. Any way of knowing which part is at fault so I can get something on order to fix it?

Thanks
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

I am still having the same problem. Seems intermittent with regards to the window dropping and I'm not too sure either which switch is causing it. My passenger window only moves about an inch each time I press the centre console switch and have to keep pressing it to make the window go up or down. It seems like the distance that it moves is about the same as it should drop when opening the door or engaging the convertible roof. I am thinking to pull the door panel this week and see if it's a loose connection or something simple
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjar View Post
I am still having the same problem. Seems intermittent with regards to the window dropping and I'm not too sure either which switch is causing it. My passenger window only moves about an inch each time I press the centre console switch and have to keep pressing it to make the window go up or down. It seems like the distance that it moves is about the same as it should drop when opening the door or engaging the convertible roof. I am thinking to pull the door panel this week and see if it's a loose connection or something simple
I might be having to remove the door panel as well to take a look. But I was hoping the collective wisdom of the forum would save me from that and I could get some part(s) ordered before I take things apart and get it fixed. I think your issues is a little trickier. Mine is just dead and I'm hoping its a simple fix since it worked fine day before yesterday.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
My driver's window has decided to stop working. It doesn't drop when I open the door with either inside or outside handle. I checked the fuse for good measure and no problem there. I swapped out the center console switches and the problem stayed with the driver's window. Trying the key in the door doesn't lower the window either. It's a real pain to open and close the door when the window doesn't drop!

From searching it appears the door latch or microswitch might be the problem. Any way of knowing which part is at fault so I can get something on order to fix it?

Thanks
Had the same this spring. Drives you mad.....
My experience is that you need to replace the entire window mechanism in the door.
Not the world in cost but a bit fiddly apparently.
I am not the greatest mechanic so I had it done at an independent, but Porsche approved, garage. They say they do tons of them on 986 and 996 these days. Especially the passenger side for some reason.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruich10 View Post
Had the same this spring. Drives you mad.....
My experience is that you need to replace the entire window mechanism in the door.
Not the world in cost but a bit fiddly apparently.
I am not the greatest mechanic so I had it done at an independent, but Porsche approved, garage. They say they do tons of them on 986 and 996 these days. Especially the passenger side for some reason.
Thanks, I think I will replace the whole mechanism and anything else that needs to be replaced once I get the door apart. Not my favorite job so might at least try and prevent having to do it multiple times. I just hope I get the right part number for the driver's side mechanism.