Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #1

Suspension....please help me choose

My '99 base suspension is probably on its last legs, so thinking of a refresh. I will look at control arms and other parts to replace when in it, but mainly looking at what to do springs, dampers and roll bars.

Please help me choose.

My parameters:
- under $2K. The car is worth $10k, so, I don't want to spend a lot of money on the car.
- driving history => I used to track a lot years ago (raced a year, HPDE instructor, etc.). But lifestyle has changed and haven't been on the track or autocross in many years. At most, I would see the track once or twice a year. Not looking to win the HPDE championship, just want something fun, but not sloppy that would take away from the fun.
- previous car had PSS9. I kept it at 5 - 7 on the street and it didn't bother me. However, that was in a different region with smoother streets. I live in Northern VA now and streets are a little rougher (at times).

I have researched on this site the easy button ROWM030, whatever brand lowering springs with whatever brand dampers, etc. etc. It appears that the best thing to do is just do the ROWM030 and call it a day. Just want to hear other opinions.

davidnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #2

Let me know how the upgrade works out. I am a 25 year PCA HPDE instructor and past club racer. looking to upgrade my 99 Boxster for HPDE use. I would appreciate any suggestions for helping it work better on track while maintaining some comfort for street use.
Boxster#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Racer Boy

I have the ROWM030 kit minus the sway bars on my 2002, and like it. It is a fairly firm ride for the street, but I'm 56 years old so I'm not into a hard, jarring ride like I would have been in my younger days.

The car does get on track a few times a year, and of course I wish it was stiffer in those conditions. I've seen pictures of my car in the turns, and it does roll a fair amount, so I'm pondering getting sway bars, but the set-up I have now is actually a pretty good compromise. The stiffer sways probably won't affect the ride too much, so I may go ahead and order the bars.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 07-27-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

With a budget under $2K, the M030 kit is probably the best way to go. It will be fun to drive on the street and the track at the same time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #5

The X73 Kit costs about $1,300 (..?) and it is an awesome upgrade as well.

However.. keeping in mind that you will have to replace the lower control arms and caster arms due to the high mileage...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
B6T

I ordered these a few days ago - they seem to have good reviews:
https://ceika-store.com/products/ceika-type-1m-coilover-kit-for-porsche-986-boxster-96-04

I'm in the same boat. I wanted the adjustability of a coil-over but I didn't want to spend $3,750 on PSS9s.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
I ordered these a few days ago - they seem to have good reviews:
https://ceika-store.com/products/ceika-type-1m-coilover-kit-for-porsche-986-boxster-96-04

I'm in the same boat. I wanted the adjustability of a coil-over but I didn't want to spend $3,750 on PSS9s.
I've got PSS9s on my Audi with almost 200K miles on them and they are still going strong and stiff. PSS9s could be the last COs you'll ever need