Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
2.7 to 2.7 Engine Swap

Would anyone else here be suspicious of an Porsche shop logging 60 hours to do a 1 for 1 engine swap?

cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 969
60??? Talk to "thestone" about engine swaps. He's a racer and has done several. 60 hours is crazy... That would be more in the realm of remove, rebuild, replace. Even then... seems excessive as heck!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Registered User
 
seningen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: austin
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellkid22 View Post
Would anyone else here be suspicious of an Porsche shop logging 60 hours to do a 1 for 1 engine swap?
Just buy a new car :-)

60 is ridiculous. What's the book say?

Mike
__________________
Drivers: '08 Cayenne Turbo, 96 993 «ab/Tip (wife's) & '92 964 Cab
Race Cars: '75 911 RSR Clone & '99 Spec Boxster
mike@lonestarrpm.com
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
Thatís what my Indy is telling me has into my car! I supplied the engine and he did all the prep work to that on a previous invoice. Ims,plugs, tubes etc. I think he is completely full of it. And he may have be acquiring another Boxster because Iím not sure I am paying that. I was originally quoted 16-24 hours for the swap. Between the used motor purchase the prep for that and now his new invoice I will be into my 2000 Boxster for 13k and that ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Just buy a new car :-)

60 is ridiculous. What's the book say?

Mike
cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
01101
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellkid22 View Post
That’s what my Indy is telling me has into my car! I supplied the engine and he did all the prep work to that on a previous invoice. Ims,plugs, tubes etc. I think he is completely full of it. And he may have be acquiring another Boxster because I’m not sure I am paying that. I was originally quoted 16-24 hours for the swap. Between the used motor purchase the prep for that and now his new invoice I will be into my 2000 Boxster for 13k and that ridiculous!
He can't do extra work and charge you more than you agreed to. This doesn't sound right.

Do not let him take the car if that is what he is hinting at. If anything, you get to take the car, with whatever work was done, for the agreed price.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 65
Itís ~20 hr job per All Data to do a R&R.
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
And to add insult to injury he has had the car since December
cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,131
I've never done one on a Box but I bet I could do it in under 60 hours....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
60??? Talk to "thestone" about engine swaps. He's a racer and has done several. 60 hours is crazy... That would be more in the realm of remove, rebuild, replace. Even then... seems excessive as heck!
I am currently in the process of having my 5th engine installed!

A typical shop quote is 16-20 hrs for a 1-to-1 engine swap.

There are usually a few more hours to do some prep work to the new engine before installing it like swapping the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel from the old engine to the new and installing new spark plugs and oil/filter. But in your case, it sounds like all of that work was already done.

The shop doing my engine swap literally had it out of the car in less than 4 hours on Tuesday morning. They had to do a lot of swap work between my old and new engine so that was planned for today/tomorrow. They expect to get the engine installed on Monday and I might pick up the car on Tuesday. Total duration = 5 working days.

I can't imagine how a shop could have 60 hrs in an engine swap???
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 845
Me and two other guys had my 2.5 out in 3 hours so call it 9 hours working alone. With minimal swap overs, lets say another 3 hours to prep new engine, and then another 9 hours to reinstall.

60 hours is absolutely bull**************** insanity. that is robbery.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
I agree with everyone. I am going to have to figure out how I am going to handle this
cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,085
Garage
Do you have a written quote?
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I am currently in the process of having my 5th engine installed!

The shop doing my engine swap literally had it out of the car in less than 4 hours on Tuesday morning. They had to do a lot of swap work between my old and new engine so that was planned for today/tomorrow. They expect to get the engine installed on Monday and I might pick up the car on Tuesday. Total duration = 5 working days.
The shop already has the replacement engine installed. The car will be running later today. Total duration 4 days.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,370
Does NY have a written quote rule/law? Like a tell the customer and get approval if over 10% over written and signed quote.

Why you check out the shop's reputation before committing to a job. Have they ever worked on Porsches before? Are you paying for their learning experience?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
It is a very reputable shop and the owner is actually a big name in the PCA/Spec Boxster racing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Does NY have a written quote rule/law? Like a tell the customer and get approval if over 10% over written and signed quote.

Why you check out the shop's reputation before committing to a job. Have they ever worked on Porsches before? Are you paying for their learning experience?
cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellkid22 View Post
It is a very reputable shop and the owner is actually a big name in the PCA/Spec Boxster racing world
So letís hear why the expert still needs 60 hrs for a simple engine replacement.
__________________
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Benís short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, daily driven shine or snow.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
Exactly! The five months is because I got put on the back burner for his more important customers probably. And five months for an engine swap and the inflated hours tells a story to me. Lesson learned I never got a written quote because I have known him for years not a friend but friendly at the track over the years I really didnít think I would need one.
cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellkid22 View Post
Exactly! The five months is because I got put on the back burner for his more important customers probably. And five months for an engine swap and the inflated hours tells a story to me. Lesson learned I never got a written quote because I have known him for years not a friend but friendly at the track over the years I really didnít think I would need one.
Rule #1 in auto repairs: What isn't in writing, isn't...........
__________________
ďAnything really new is invented only in oneís youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous Ė and more stupid.Ē - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fairview NJ
Posts: 1
I own a shop that has done MANY 996/986 engine rebuilds and swaps.

Scratching your ass and taking your sweet time, I'd find it hard to justify more than 25-30 hours of labor. It takes about 3-4 days, tops. Including roadtesting and bleeding the system.

Is there information missing? Is he swapping over the intake manifold and accessories onto a long block and is taking care of broken exhaust manifold bolts?
Fast986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 411
No. The replacement engine was complete and all prep work was done on a previous invoice. I got suspicious when he let me review the work log and all the hours I questioned he said that the tech didnít work there anymore so he couldnít get clarification. Money aside clearly 5 months is a crazy turn around time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast986 View Post
I own a shop that has done MANY 996/986 engine rebuilds and swaps.

Scratching your ass and taking your sweet time, I'd find it hard to justify more than 25-30 hours of labor. It takes about 3-4 days, tops. Including roadtesting and bleeding the system.

Is there information missing? Is he swapping over the intake manifold and accessories onto a long block and is taking care of broken exhaust manifold bolts?

cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page