Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

WEVO Motor Mount Install

I just had a WEVO motor mount bushing installed and shocked on the increase in vibration and motor noise within the passenger compartment. Is this typical or should I be concerned with the install? Please let me know if you have had a similar experience or advice on moving forward. I have a HPDE event in two weeks and don't want to go if there could be a problem. Thanks for your help and advice.

ClayJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

the vibration should diminish a bit within a week or two of use, but at the end I ended going back to the stock mount
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

I run the wevo transmission mounts but with oem engine mount. I had one and sold it, and the buyer took it out after a short bit. I've heard that the wevo engine mount adds a fair amount of nvh.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #4

I'm the one who bought it from Steveox and I didn't like it either. The vibration was just too weird feeling and sounding. I gave it to a spec boxster guy.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Plus...

...I bet your car is slower.

Seriously.

The extra vibes fool the knock sensor and your computer will pull out timing.

The Porsche engineers knew what they were doing.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Yeah the Wevo isn’t great for a driver. Race, or dedicated track car perhaps. I went with the 987 mount. No vibes, works great.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:01 AM   #7

Thanks everyone, I'm regretfully going to change it out, dang!

Should have asked before I did this....
ClayJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I run both the Wevo semi-solid engine and transmission mounts and yes, the increase in NVH is far too great for a street car.

I've never had the hard mounts fool the knock sensor. There were reports of this a long time ago and this legend continues to be repeated but as you can see from my recent dyno, my engine produces full power.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #9

Rennline and function first make trans mounts as well..........not sure which one I am going with yet.....don't want any more NVH but need an improvement in shift quality

Rennline Tunable Semi-Solid Engine Mount (Pair)-Rennline, Inc.

FUNCTION-FIRST > Trans Mount Upgrade
Old 04-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Rennline and function first make trans mounts as well..........not sure which one I am going with yet.....don't want any more NVH but need an improvement in shift quality

The Function First version you can create yourself using your own standard mounts and some poly. I have these for effectively 200 less than their retail price.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage

The FF ones have the void around the stud filled. The other side is the hydraulic fluid. On old mounts you can move the stud by hand. For more firmness you can fill in both sides.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
The Function First version you can create yourself using your own standard mounts and some poly. I have these for effectively 200 less than their retail price.
EDC what type of " poly " did you use ? Where did you purchase ? What brand or part number ? I think the idea is interesting and may want to try the home brew version . Thanks .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #13
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I was a second run guinea pig from a fellow owner on boxa.net Username is jimk04 and he posts here from time to time. From memory the poly is nothing special, 80 shore from memory. I didn't want a rock solid mount with loads of NVH and in discussion with Jim was concerned a harder shore and also both sides filled would be too much so I chose this option as a trial. They've been in since 2015/16 ish. I've always been one of the first to try Jim's stuff, underdrive pulley and metal shifter bearing inserts too. I did a brief write up on boxa.net
Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post

Have you upgraded your shifter to either a 987 or gt3 shifter? That can solve a good portion of shifting woes, cables might be dead too. Replacing the motor mount makes a ton of difference, and I have found the 987 mount to be just fine... I think any more solid mount will increase NVH to one degree or another...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #15
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
For a fast road based car I've found a fresh 987 engine mount is just fine.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Have you upgraded your shifter to either a 987 or gt3 shifter? That can solve a good portion of shifting woes, cables might be dead too. Replacing the motor mount makes a ton of difference, and I have found the 987 mount to be just fine... I think any more solid mount will increase NVH to one degree or another...
Yes front is now a 987 mount but the rears are stock and have never been changed. Do you have 987 rears as well. The cables seem fine but I suspect the routing is a little off such that too much pressure against the under side of the engine cover is set up in the cables. Are new spec cables an improvement over the old? My plan is to install a 987 cover to take some pressure of my cables.....

When things get hot 2 to 3 can become a crap shoot....very disconcerting when this happened on the track.

I may give the GT3 a try as it's longer throws and higher resolution might be a better fit for my old 6-speed.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Do you mean 987 engine cover? If so I don't think that will help. The cables run in a thick sheaf so you would have to be putting some serious pressure on them and on top of the plenums for them to snag. I think you would dislodge a plenum or create an airleak before the cables become stuck.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #18

Yes....you could be right but I was not considering sheath collapsing onto cable persay.

I was considering or imagining compression of the cable run "arc" giving rise to restricted movement....IIRC cable operated fine when removed from the car.

The 987 with more clearance could eliminate this if it was a factor.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I was a second run guinea pig from a fellow owner on boxa.net Username is jimk04 and he posts here from time to time. From memory the poly is nothing special, 80 shore from memory. I didn't want a rock solid mount with loads of NVH and in discussion with Jim was concerned a harder shore and also both sides filled would be too much so I chose this option as a trial. They've been in since 2015/16 ish. I've always been one of the first to try Jim's stuff, underdrive pulley and metal shifter bearing inserts too. I did a brief write up on boxa.net
Any idea how the stock mounts work? Oil filled would seem pretty solid to me....although they would theoretically allow varying "home attitudes" as imparted by the engine trans assembly.

What degrades in the stock mount....if it is oil filled?

Last edited by jaykay; 04-04-2018 at 01:18 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #20
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
The fluid can leak. If you do it the above way it is a cheap mod to do. It's a shame to spend good money refreshing other suspension, balljoints and other rubber mount parts and not do these.