Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #1

Alignment

Anyone in the Richmond, VA area know a good alignment shop that is not gonna put me over a barrel? The dealer wanted like $120. I don’t mind paying but I want it done right. Has anyone had any good results with some local shops?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #2

Smile Alingment

Hi, I'm over in Farmville, VA and our local mechanic will do it for about half that of what Euroclassics in Richmond in Richmond charges. But I am having Euroclassics put on new Michellin's on Monday, and I am having them do the alingment at the same time.

With the costs associated with this "new" toy, tires, MAF sensor and such, the 50.00 or so I would save by having another party do the alingment, does not seem like that much. Also, when I am at the dealer, I always bug Gene, the mechanic that has worked on my Boxster last two times. I ask questions and discuss any issues I am having with the car. For me, that alone, is worth the extra few bucks. Have fun,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster
Arctic Silver/Black
Intake/Chip/Cat Bypass
17" stock wheels
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvaster
Anyone in the Richmond, VA area know a good alignment shop that is not gonna put me over a barrel? The dealer wanted like $120. I don’t mind paying but I want it done right. Has anyone had any good results with some local shops?
Honestly, $120 for a proper 4 wheel alignment on a Boxster is CHEAP. My dealer get's $245 for the same service and I gladly pay it because I haven't found anyone yet in Central Florida that I trust to do it right.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930
Honestly, $120 for a proper 4 wheel alignment on a Boxster is CHEAP. My dealer get's $245 for the same service and I gladly pay it because I haven't found anyone yet in Central Florida that I trust to do it right.
Honestly, $120 is rip off. Good thing I got connection, even the Porsche employee will say they charged "too much".
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman12
Honestly, $120 is rip off. Good thing I got connection, even the Porsche employee will say they charged "too much".
Hmm, so you think $120 is a rip off. Well, how much time will the average Porsche mechanic who knows what they are doing spend on the car, 1 hour, 2 hours, 30 minutes? Let's talk average time. My guess is about 1 hour average. Consider the dealership's hourly rate at anywhere from $75 - $150 depending on location. Also factor in the cost of the machine (many thousands of $$$$) and that hourly rate need to be that high to pay for the overhead of being able to service your car.

You may not like to pay it or you may have a shop that had paid for equipment and "Bubba" over in the corner who's "always wanted to work on a Poorsh" either way, you get what you pay for. With my dealer I know the alignment tech and I can take it back for minor "tweaks" gratus, that kind of post sales support is why I write the dealer larger checks than some may feel is "fair".

Come on people, you don't own a Kia. No one said Porsche ownership was going to be cheap..... At least it hasn't been cheap for the last 30 year's I've owned Porsches.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #6

Euroclassics Service Is Terrible

I like their sales staff but .... their service staff is terrible. Overpriced and not well done IMO. Do not leave without making sure they did what they said they would do. Alignment from EC -- not on my car and why buy tires from a dealer?

Just my dime.

ATB,
Tom

PS I bought two Boxsters from them but will not go back or recommend them due to their service staff. Plus the owner is rude.

Last edited by trube78; 08-27-2006 at 07:55 PM.
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote