Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #1

Unhappy coolant loss

I bought my 2000 Boxster less than 3 months ago with 11,200 miles in new condition from a nonporsche dealer; clean carfax with one owner. When I bought it , coolant was low and I topped off. I brought to my porsche mechanic and he replaced the thermostat gasket as he said it had a small leak. He did a pressure test that indicated a drop in pressure (no apparent leaks anywhere). I informed the dealer that I bought it from that I am having a problem that I believe is covered by Mass. 90 day lemon law; he suggested bringing it to a local porsche dealer for a 2nd pressure test, which I did today. Results-a loss in pressure, everything dry, oil looks clean. They are now going to remove spark plugs, pressure test overnight, and look for coolant in the cylinders. If that's the problem, we're probably looking at a new engine. Any input???

milist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
bmussatti

I assume you have checked the rear trunk area, and everything is dry? Under the carpet too?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #3

The first thing to check is the plastic tank in the trunk because the bottom likes to develope cracks. Remove the larger section of carpet and the wooden floor, then look for coolant.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #4

I can't believe the dealer is wasting thier time.....with the overnight deal.

This is a CLASSIC situation of the coolant reservior cracking. I had the same thing.....some minor loss over a couple days, no problem.....turning into WTF happened to my coolant that I just put in last night.....then a low coolant light on the drive into work.....followed by a dip in my coolant pool located under the carpet in my trunk........fixed by a couple 5 Benjamin's.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #5

I'm sorry...I should have mentioned that the rear trunk is down to bare metal. Everything else has been removed; no coolant on metal or carpet or residue.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milist
I'm sorry...I should have mentioned that the rear trunk is down to bare metal. Everything else has been removed; no coolant on metal or carpet or residue.
Danger Will Robinson!!!! Danger!!!!

Please keep us updated.

Thank,

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #7

update to coolant loss

The overnight pressure test revealed no coolant in the cylinders(yea!) but a leak at the water pump gasket. The dealer wants to replace the water pump as well as the gasket even though the pump itself is o.k. He says it may leak now that it is being disturbed. Is he right to replace it? Total cost=$988 including the $300+ water pump.
The used car dealer is hedging on paying for the fix. I believe I am well covered by Mass. lemon law 90 day safety and use warranty. What do you think?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #8

A 2000 Boxster with 11,200 miles, your experiencing typical symptoms of a car sitting for awhile, gasket dryed up from non use. Should you replace the pump? I would, since you indicated that you had to add coolant when you got it, that would indicate that air was in the system and if the bearings on the pump was exposed to air for a any lenght of time they could have become corroded, which can possibily lead to early failure.

As for the Lemon law, I'm not familiar with the Mass specific law, but most States with USED lemon law generally don't consider normal wear items as a basis for a case. Reccomend you check with your local officials.
johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
bmussatti

I think you pay $300 for the pump and the used car dealer pays $688 for the gasket repair. Negotiate towards a win-win.

I know nothing about the Mass. Lemon Law.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #10

I believe Mass Lemon Law for PRIVATE sales only applies if car won't pass inspection. Seller must pay for repairs to have the car pass or may void the sale, at his/her discretion.

DEALER sale is a whole different animal. Do a web search for details.