Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #21
Hinemn

Garage
I will see the extend of the damage once I pull the engine our and apart, you're not the only person who didn't replace the rings. How did you instal the wrist pins for cylinder 4,5, and 6?

Hinemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #22
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinemn View Post
I will see the extend of the damage once I pull the engine our and apart, you're not the only person who didn't replace the rings. How did you instal the wrist pins for cylinder 4,5, and 6?
Watch all of the glenn986 videos. They are quite good and will answer your questions.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #23
Hinemn

Garage
A quick update on the dead Boxster, I will keep this short.
After a some contemplation about what to do with the engine with IMS bearing failure I decided that either a complete rebuild or used engine was the way to go.
The car is rust free and still holds its original paint which meant to me it was worth spending some time and money on it but not too much money.
So shortly after the end of this thread I found the same year and model Boxster on eBay. The car was a Flood car located in NY, when I say flood I mean nothing worked, all the electrical was pooched and I had no idea if the engine was any good or how many miles were on it, so I decided to take a big leap of faith and buy it.
The engine is in the car and I took video of the whole project and if I can find the time to edit them I would like to put on them on youtube so maybe I shouldn't give it away weather the car runs or not.

Hinemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #24

Garage
JamesSP,
Thx for the warning to lock the engine before disassembly or risk damage. Can you specify the damage? I bought a roller and just dropped the engine. Looks like the PO overheated it - 2 melted spark plug tubes but oil in filter & sump is clean. Want to disassemble but cannot rotate at all so TDC cannot happen. Any thoughts how I can avoid the damage in your warning?
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Watch all of the glenn986 videos. They are quite good and will answer your questions.
Do you mean 986fix.com.......authored by Glenn? Yes, nothing beats a good mechanical engineer
Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #26

Garage
Turning the engine to Zero will take most of the spring tension off the cams. The valve cover acts as the bearing caps for 2/3 of the camshafts. Once removed the cams can be damaged if too much spring tension is left on them.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 AM   #27

Garage
Thx for the explanation. Now, in my case, because the engine cannot rotate, is there another way???
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #28

Garage
Try to take the chain tensioner springs out of the block. Remove the chain sprockets screws on the cams to Let the cams settle on their own and remove the valve covers.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , ims bearings , manual , metal , rebuild