Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Surprise during 2004 AOS change

High today was 0 degrees F and I was bored so I decided to start my AOS replacement this afternoon. Based on various forum research I expected to find allen head bolts, instead they are torx!

Short pause waiting on torx socket set and 1/4 6” extension delivery from Amazon (arrives tues). The oil you see in the pic is penetrating oil I applied. Everything was dry when I opened up the engine compartment. Dust is due to our road before we had the lime crusher and dust control applied.

More to come on my AOS replacement after I finish and test vacuum at the oil cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
High today was 0 degrees F and I was bored so I decided to start my AOS replacement this afternoon. Based on various forum research I expected to find allen head bolts, instead they are torx!

Short pause waiting on torx socket set and 1/4 6” extension delivery from Amazon (arrives tues). The oil you see in the pic is penetrating oil I applied. Everything was dry when I opened up the engine compartment. Dust is due to our road before we had the lime crusher and dust control applied.

More to come on my AOS replacement after I finish and test vacuum at the oil cap.

I believe a good 8mm 6-point socket will remove those torx bolts if you get to warm hanging around indoors. Torx fasteners are OEM starting around 2007up
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I believe a good 8mm 6-point socket will remove those torx bolts if you get to warm hanging around indoors. Torx fasteners are OEM starting around 2007up
Hi Byprod, yes both an 8mm and 5/16 appeared to be adequately snug. I’m not in any hurry and it gave me a reason to order more tools.

The lower ‘squeeze’ connector is the only challenge left. I can’t get any leverage. Plan is to liberate the AOS and then try to release the lower tube.

I’ll be able to do a 2003/2004 AOS in no time if the opportunity ever presents itself in the future.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 01-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Man, I hate all those squeeze connectors that never seem to want to let go without tears of frustration and a few well selected words! Persevere! Do not be tempted to use the BFH!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Man, I hate all those squeeze connectors that never seem to want to let go without tears of frustration and a few well selected words! Persevere! Do not be tempted to use the BFH!
+1 on what you said. I’ll leave the BFH (and the channel lock pliers) on the shelf won’t have another opportunity to work on it until Wednesday, so I expect to roll into the garage and have that thing come loose the first time I touch it
Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #6

But, the BFH is so Fing fun to use!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 AM   #7

Rule #1 - it's never a project unless you have to buy a new tool.

Rule #2 - it's a contest to see how far I can throw those %$#@ squeeze connectors when I get them off. Once you replace them with normal hose clamps, an AOS replacement project becomes much easier.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
... so I expect to roll into the garage and have that thing come loose the first time I touch it
Haha! Yeah right! Good luck with that one!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Rule #1 - it's never a project unless you have to buy a new tool.

Rule #2 - it's a contest to see how far I can throw those %$#@ squeeze connectors when I get them off. Once you replace them with normal hose clamps, an AOS replacement project becomes much easier.
I just did the AOS last weekend. Had transmission out for IMS/RMS/Clutch so super easy access from under car. STILL couldn't get the freaking squeeze connector off the bottom of the AOS, so after many futile attempts I took the BFH (channel locks) squeezed and rotated, broke it clean off and out the hose came! I had already decided to replace with hose clamp. glad to find out I'm not the only one, and I recommend the BFH process highly with those connectors.
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #10

I must be a bit thick , what is a BFH ?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggo View Post
I must be a bit thick , what is a BFH ?
Big F-----g Hammer.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #12

Thanks, got it now , the universal tool !!!
Old 01-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
or, if you do it like me, to buy the cheapest squeeze connector tool possible, only to have the little fittings on the end come flying off and land somewhere in the engine (only held on with a weak little circlip).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
or, if you do it like me, to buy the cheapest squeeze connector tool possible, only to have the little fittings on the end come flying off and land somewhere in the engine (only held on with a weak little circlip).
Wait, there’s a tool? That gives me an idea
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #15

https://www.amazon.com/4525-Cable-Type-Flexible-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B000F5JM0O
Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #16

but not this - those end fittings cannot be trusted:

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W80654-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B002KSAIXE
Old 01-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #17

that 1st link is the best tool ever....i got my 30 bucks worth over the past few years
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:59 AM   #18

COOL - a project where you have to buy TWO new tools.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
COOL - a project where you have to buy TWO new tools.
Gotta love it! For the AOS lower hose spring clamp I bought the Mayhew Rigiflex (which worked great accessing from under the car):

Still waiting on delivery of the torx sockets (delayed due to weather plus we live in the middle of nowhere).

My schedule cleared up so I’m back in the garage today to see if I can conquer the lower squeeze clamp which secures the ribbed plastic tube. After successfully removing the top one, I see how it works. May try to make a tool to ‘presqueeze’ the top and bottom of the connector so I can use my hand to pull it away from the AOS:

Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #20

Quote:
. . . May try to make a tool to ‘presqueeze’ the top and bottom of the connector so I can use my hand to pull it away . . .
Boom! Rocked into the garage today with an idea and had the bottom AOS ribbed hose with integrated connector off in under a minute using only, wait for it, my ‘magic wand’ (aka the BFScrewdriver) and a very small slotted screwdriver:

When you squeeze the integrated connector, it deforms into an oval theoretically releasing the two small clamps on each side from the AOS allowing you to pull the hose free (you squeeze on the top and bottom, not the sides as I am doing here):

On the lower hose, I couldn’t make this happen from above or below the engine. No room to squeeze the top and bottom at the same time while pulling the hose off of the AOS. By inserting a small flat head screwdriver on each side of the connector and rotating gently/slightly while lightly prying the hose away from the AOS using my BFS, the clamps disengaged and hose came off with no problem. Here’s an example using the top hose showing the place to disengage the clamp on one side

When removing the hose, you can’t pry with the BFS against the connector ring (it distorts the connector and the clamps reengage) you have to move further down the hose and pry against the hose rib using the AOS as your fulcrum while you rotate the small screwdriver to disengage the clamps.

WARNING - attempt at your own risk. The connector is an integral part of the AOS hose. If you break it (and you easily can) your hose is toast and you’ve just created serious work and expense for yourself (especially for the bottom hose).

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-09-2018 at 10:35 PM.