Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Bye Bye Borla, Hello Brombacher

Having punched through my 986 winter project list ahead of schedule, I decided to tackle an issue that is causing real problems for my tinnitus (have I mentioned I'm old??). I absolutely love the sound of my Borla exhaust that was already installed on my 550SE when I bought it last year. However, after a year with the car it's clear that the 2,500-3,000 rpm resonance has been adversely affecting my tinnitus (and the muffler construction come to find out).

Having some experience with exhaust systems across the last four decades or so, I decided that I could add a system cross pipe immediately prior to the outlets (the only practical place) to help cancel the harmonic vibrations created by having two sets of three cylinders isolated. Checked under the car and it was doable:

Next step was to check the Borla with my infamous "whack" test to make sure everything was tightly in place in the cans and mounts. It was here that I found that the right (passenger) can failed the test. Mega vibrations when the can was whacked with the base of my fist. Not the mounts, not the clamps, not a cat shield, it's inside the (non serviceable) can. It's terminal.

I still have the original muffler, hardware and 550 SE tip, but the muffler has some northeastern induced rot at the seams. I'll keep it in off chance I decide to ever sell the 550SE (not likely).

So, after much research across the web / YouTube / etc (thanks 10/10ths for the Brombacher shoutout), I've decided that I will order the Brombacher "Sound Version" tomorrow morn. Expensive, but what the hey, I can't take it with me. Dansk sausage was less expensive and a close runner up, but the Brombacher is calling me.

More to come after it arrives!

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-12-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

SpeedArt

I believe that the Brombacher is manufactuured by SpeedArt, I have the same unit you order and I believe that you are going to love it!
PS: And yes, cero drone...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I believe that the Brombacher is manufactured by SpeedArt, I have the same unit you order and I believe that you are going to love it!
PS: And yes, cero drone...
Hi Gilles, I saw your earlier comments to 10/10ths while I was doing my research. I checked out the SpeedArt and I think you are right that they are the same unit. I also watched the FVD YouTube videos for a sound check. It’ll be a dream come true to have an exhaust built this well that sounds this good, with no drone. For others who are interested, here’s the link to 10/10th’s original thread (which has pics and the link to the FVD videos):

FVD Brombacher "Sound Version" muffler installed....Wow!!!

I ordered the Brombacher from FVD this morning. Rhonda is great and she -for real- really knows Porsche. The ‘sound version’ is not in stock in FL, but they have it in the Germany warehouse. I should have it in hand no later than Friday, Feb 23rd. Can’t wait.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-12-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

THIS THREAD IS EVIL! I DID NOT need to hear that exhaust. My wife will be mad!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
THIS THREAD IS EVIL! I DID NOT need to hear that exhaust. My wife will be mad!
Welcome to the DarkSide
Old 02-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Well, I think I owe an apology to Borla. Pulled my Borla exhaust today in prep for the Brombacher install, did my whack test again with the Borla suspended several different ways free standing and . . . no vibrations, solid as a rock. Hmmm, back under the car and I discovered the vibration appears to be from the heat shield immediately in back of and above the Borla’s right can location. Oops, too bad the Brombacher is already on order (not )

Anyway, because the Borla seems a-ok I’ll put it up for sale at some point. It’s a drone king at any rate and I’ll recommend to anyone who purchases it to at least weld in the crossover pipe in an attempt to quell the drone. If I had more time, I’d experiment myself just for grins but the to-do list is stacking up with spring on the horizon (kart prep for the 2018 season, visitors, etc.). Here’s a pic I snapped today:

More to come when the Brombacher arrives. Until then I’ll just keep watching the YouTube vids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Update on mine....

...I bought some Circuit Weeks secondary cat delete pipes from an inmate here and they, combined with the FVD muffler are street exhaust heaven.

The secondary cat delete made the exhaust QUIETER inside, yet LOUDER outside, and completely eliminated the drone. There was still a very faint drone with the FVD. It is now completely eliminated.

BUT, when you get on the throttle, it sounds awesome.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...I bought some Circuit Weeks secondary cat delete pipes from an inmate here and they, combined with the FVD muffler are street exhaust heaven.

The secondary cat delete made the exhaust QUIETER inside, yet LOUDER outside, and completely eliminated the drone. There was still a very faint drone with the FVD. It is now completely eliminated.

BUT, when you get on the throttle, it sounds awesome.
Can you post a sound clip inside and outside? There is another thread about the cat delete and I have been considering this setup.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

No...

...sorry.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #10

On the Brombacher... how much, if any, weight savings might there be?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
On the Brombacher... how much, if any, weight savings might there be?
Brombacher spec says 23lbs. I’m going to weigh the stock muffler and the Brombacher with my digital luggage scale side by side when the Brombacher arrives.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 AM   #12

Garage
Sound like the one on ebay, I think I bought the 6 spd trans from that boxster S, correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

frankle951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankle951 View Post
Sound like the one on ebay, I think I bought the 6 spd trans from that boxster S, correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.
Hi Frankle, not sure what you are referring to, but I did not buy the Brombacher muffler used on eBay. I bought it new from FVD in Florida.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-19-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #14

Garage
Ok, my mistake, cheers
frankle951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #15

It’s here! Unfortunately so is the snow that just turned into ‘winter mix’. I had to meet UPS in town. They couldn’t make it up the road that connects to our road, much less our road itself. Also brought up a ‘next day’ package for our neighbor on the connecting road so they wouldn’t have to wait until next week for it. Logistics can be tough up here this time of the year.

Great packaging by FVD and great service by their Florida distributor and CSR (Rhonda).

Taking the weekend off, so no work on the 986 until Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-23-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #16

Garage
Congratulations Oldcarguy!

I hope it sounds as good as it looks! Look forward to hearing it and your comments.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Ocg.....

....Winning!!!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #18

There is something just wrong when a shiny object like that looks "sexy". Sweet! Videos... we need videos.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #19
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

One reason......

...the FVD muffler is so expensive is that it is made out of T316 Stainless instead of T304 like the Borla, et. al.

Shiny. Stays shiny. also give better quality sound than T304.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Congratulations Oldcarguy!

I hope it sounds as good as it looks! Look forward to hearing it and your comments.
Congrates, and me too ready for comments!

I almost went for a fabspeed being they are on sale, would cover shipping. But i really like the sound clips of the fvd. Beutiful piece of metal.