View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Oldcarguy

Bye Bye Borla, Hello Brombacher

Having punched through my 986 winter project list ahead of schedule, I decided to tackle an issue that is causing real problems for my tinnitus (have I mentioned I'm old??). I absolutely love the sound of my Borla exhaust that was already installed on my 550SE when I bought it last year. However, after a year with the car it's clear that the 2,500-3,000 rpm resonance has been adversely affecting my tinnitus (and the muffler construction come to find out).

Having some experience with exhaust systems across the last four decades or so, I decided that I could add a system cross pipe immediately prior to the outlets (the only practical place) to help cancel the harmonic vibrations created by having two sets of three cylinders isolated. Checked under the car and it was doable:

Next step was to check the Borla with my infamous "whack" test to make sure everything was tightly in place in the cans and mounts. It was here that I found that the right (passenger) can failed the test. Mega vibrations when the can was whacked with the base of my fist. Not the mounts, not the clamps, not a cat shield, it's inside the (non serviceable) can. It's terminal.

I still have the original muffler, hardware and 550 SE tip, but the muffler has some northeastern induced rot at the seams. I'll keep it in off chance I decide to ever sell the 550SE (not likely).

So, after much research across the web / YouTube / etc (thanks 10/10ths for the Brombacher shoutout), I've decided that I will order the Brombacher "Sound Version" tomorrow morn. Expensive, but what the hey, I can't take it with me. Dansk sausage was less expensive and a close runner up, but the Brombacher is calling me.

More to come after it arrives!
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-12-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote