Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Garage
99' Boxster factory radio configuration question

The previous owner pulled the head unit out of my car and installed some JVC POS, a power amp in the front trunk, aftermarket door speakers and an aftermarket alarm system with remote kill switch.

I have removed all of this junk and will put the car back to it's original factory configuration. The speakers are easy enough to find and replace and so is the head unit. What I don't know is if the system had an amp and if so, where is it?

Anyone have any experience with the factory sound system or can point me in the right direction?

michael_J_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_J_brown View Post
The previous owner pulled the head unit out of my car and installed some JVC POS, a power amp in the front trunk, aftermarket door speakers and an aftermarket alarm system with remote kill switch.

I have removed all of this junk and will put the car back to it's original factory configuration. The speakers are easy enough to find and replace and so is the head unit. What I don't know is if the system had an amp and if so, where is it?

Anyone have any experience with the factory sound system or can point me in the right direction?
If the car had a factory amp, it should be located behind the spare tire.
Most likely it was removed, and the aftermarket one is taking his place.
If you are lucky, the installer didn't cut off the original amp plug.
I'll try to get you a pic
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
This is the location of where the original amp should be.
Also take in mind that most likely the after market amp was wired differently.
After market door speakers are usually full range. On the Boxster the speakers in the doors are woofers and the full range (two way speaker) is located in the dashboard.
Hope it helps.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

Garage
You may have just answered a question

Yes this has helped and in fact answer a question. I have attached a photo I just took of something that has obviously been removed from behind the spare tire. I'm assuming that this was the power amp?

michael_J_brown is offline   Reply With Quote