Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Suspected water pump failure

Got home last night and car was making an unusual noise. I took a video in the dark, and it sounds like other water pump failure noises I've heard:

https://youtu.be/eiEof53IOEU

Tonight I'll pull the belt off and crank it up to confirm. Anyone want to chime in with confirmation, or alternate theories?

Would this be safe to drive 30min to my friend's lift, or will I be stuck doing this at home on jackstands?

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

For anyone keeping track, this is only two days after buttoning up the alternator problems.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Got home last night and car was making an unusual noise. I took a video in the dark, and it sounds like other water pump failure noises I've heard:

https://youtu.be/eiEof53IOEU

Tonight I'll pull the belt off and crank it up to confirm. Anyone want to chime in with confirmation, or alternate theories?

Would this be safe to drive 30min to my friend's lift, or will I be stuck doing this at home on jackstands?
If you suspect a bad water pump, I would not drive it two feet..........
Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

....don't even run the engine.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

What I think you guys are saying, is that I shouldn't drive it anywhere.

Jackstands it is then. Maybe next week, or the week after that.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
Remember to flush the coolant in both directions. And when you think you've flushed it enough, do it one more time. Cracked heads are a ********************.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

#1 -if the impeller blades are missing chunks, you must retrieve all the missing pieces. They may be found in the Heat X !Not good.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
ISSIMI

I am not familiar with what a failing water pump sounds like. Is it the ticking in the video posted that's of concern? Other than that the engine sounded fine to me. From what I know aside from removing the belt and checking for play in the pulley or leaks a faulty water pump is difficult to diagnose. Does your car overheat? I plan to change mine the next time i do something coolant related so very interested in your outcome.
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Remember to flush the coolant in both directions. And when you think you've flushed it enough, do it one more time. Cracked heads are a ********************.
Good Luck on that! When my WP went, I had maybe 1/3 of the surface area of the blades shear off. I flushed and flushed, running everything through a big sieve I picked up somewhere or other. Never recovered a single piece. The good news: that was several years ago--not a problem has surfaced since, cracked head or otherwise. Do what you can, then drive it!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Wanted View Post
I am not familiar with what a failing water pump sounds like. Is it the ticking in the video posted that's of concern? Other than that the engine sounded fine to me. From what I know aside from removing the belt and checking for play in the pulley or leaks a faulty water pump is difficult to diagnose. Does your car overheat? I plan to change mine the next time i do something coolant related so very interested in your outcome.
The ticking is normal... But on the video right around 22seconds I move the camera under the car in front of the passenger rear tire. At that point you can really hear the sound I would describe as a diesel truck idling.

I may have time to get the car apart and up on jacks later today to confirm.