Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Just to clarify, if you have a CD220 currently, with the amplifier in the frunk, this head unit, with the associated Bergvillfx harness, is 100% plug-and-play?
I went to the site I think you have to order the appropriate interface cables with the radio then it should be plug and play bas3d off my reading.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #42

There are 2 different cables. I got the wrong one initially. I can't remember how you tell but the option codes aren't definitive. PM me if you have questions and I'll check my emails to Bergville.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #43

Thanks to the help of this thread, I installed the Continental CDD7416UB-OR unit in my 2001 Boxster. I used the M490 harness described above. It works great so far and I really like its appearance in the cabin.

The only problem, though, is that when I lock the car using the remote, the horn honks once, indicating that something isn't right (like the glove box is ajar, trunk not latched, etc.). I did notice that the instruction guide talked about a blue/brown wire that had to be isolated. I see a wire like this in the bundle, but assumed that it would have been handled by the harness. Has any one else experienced this issue?

Last edited by cc986; 07-06-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: clarified problem description
cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #44

I'm curious to know if the FM reception improved with this unit? My CD220 reception is crappy. I already tried to clean the ground connection of the fm antenna amplifier in the A pillar. It improved a lot but not as in my honda civic
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc986 View Post
Thanks to the help of this thread, I installed the Continental CDD7416UB-OR unit in my 2001 Boxster. I used the M490 harness described above. It works great so far and I really like its appearance in the cabin.

The only problem, though, is that when I lock the car using the remote, the horn honks once, indicating that something isn't right (like the glove box is ajar, trunk not latched, etc.). I did notice that the instruction guide talked about a blue/brown wire that had to be isolated. I see a wire like this in the bundle, but assumed that it would have been handled by the harness. Has any one else experienced this issue?
The wire is connected to the factory radio chassis left side look into the hole you should see it pull it from the chassis and wrap in electrical tape.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:03 AM   #46
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomerlo View Post
I'm curious to know if the FM reception improved with this unit? My CD220 reception is crappy. I already tried to clean the ground connection of the fm antenna amplifier in the A pillar. It improved a lot but not as in my honda civic
I had the same problem, and nothing I tried fixed it. Well, replacing the stock radio fixed it; something in the radio had failed and it couldn't receive radio signals.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
The wire is connected to the factory radio chassis left side look into the hole you should see it pull it from the chassis and wrap in electrical tape.
Thank you, Cunningr! Using a more powerful flashlight, I was able to find it. Here are two pictures. First, what it looks like plugged in:

And second, what it looks like when it's disconnected:

The security system is happy now.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc986 View Post
Thank you, Cunningr! Using a more powerful flashlight, I was able to find it. Here are two pictures. First, what it looks like plugged in:

And second, what it looks like when it's disconnected:

The security system is happy now.
Glad I could help! Make sure you wrapped it if it grounds out by accident It will cause some issues.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #49
Racer Boy

I have a 2002 2.7 with the BOSE sound system, and got a TR7421UB Continental radio with the BergvillFX adaptor, but the adaptor isn't right. I can plug the factory harness directly into the new head unit, and everything seems to work with the minor exception of getting no sound. If I try using the adaptor, the connectors aren't right.

The A connector (black) plugs into the adaptor harness, which then plugs into the head unit, but the B (brown) connector on the Bergvill harness is a different type of connector (see first picture). I'm pretty certain that I have the M490 Bose system, and not the MOST system. The second picture shows the stock harness coming from the car.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping that I'm just a bonehead, and am missing something obvious.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 07-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #50
Racer Boy

In looking at other pictures, it appears that I may have the wrong adaptor. Mine doesn't have the square yellow plug that is shown in other pictures of the harness.

In looking at the Bergvill site, it looks like I have the "ISO audio/power harness Porsche 968/928 CR-1".

The first picture is the harness that I do have, the second picture is of what I should have.

Ugh, I wonder how long it will take to get the correct harness from Norway. Ironically, I just got back from Norway!

Old 07-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #51

My radio worked with the adapter in your second photo, the one with the yellow plug.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #52
Racer Boy

I received what appears to be the correct wiring harness for my 2002 with the BOSE system, and the same thing is happening - the stereo comes on, I can select stations, everything works but no sound. It appears that there is only one way to plug the harness in (with the large stock brown connector not being used). If I do indeed have it hooked up incorrectly, then I'm an idiot and someone here will point me in the right direction (and I'll own up to being an idiot, it's something I'm kind of used to). Or, the harness or stereo have a problem.

I have not yet dove into checking voltages from the pins yet.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I am an idiot. It turns out that you plug the stock brown connector into the stereo, and the brown connector on the new Bergvill harness is unused. Kind of non-intuitive if you ask me (which I'm an idiot, so why would you ask?).

Anyway, it all seems to work, and it sounds great and looks so much better than the aftermarket deck I had before.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 08-04-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #53

Thanks

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. It made the install of the TR7412UB-OR much easier. Special thanks to ryanjboutin on shaving down the plastic tabs on the side of the opening so that the frame slides in easily. Otherwise, I would have assumed that I had received the incorrect frame.

My 2000 986 has the M490 amp AND the Porsche rear speaker kit. This was a bit of a problem because the M490 harness from BERGVILLFX does not have the ability to connect both the front amp / speakers and the rear speakers. I hadn't paid any attention when I originally installed the rear speaker kit, I just plugged in the brown connector that came with the kit into the B connector on the back of the Becker radio. Turns out that the B connector is for speaker level outputs and that the M490 and front speakers are driven from the C connector line outputs. After some back and forth email with Tore Bergvill he made the correct harness for me, and it works great.

Other learnings from the install:

You will need the Becker keys to pull the Becker radio.

The Continental comes with its own frame and keys.

The kit comes with a SWRC (Steering Wheel Remote Control) cable. Not sure why, the documentation says that it "is not compatible with any known car models".

You can stream music, or whatever, in BT mode.

I ended up using the remote mic. We tried both the front panel mic and the remote mic and my wife said the sound quality was better with the remote mic. I mounted it on top of the steering column.

danstub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #54

Thanks for posting this and the info for the harness. Getting ready to remove a crappy Alpine unit and install a Continental. This helps a lot.
JP Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #55

I'm curious if anyone knows of when the radio is turned on/off, if it can default to going to A2DP/Bluetooth mode, as opposed to having to cycle through the inputs (i.e. FM Radio, CD, Aux, etc.)
Old 01-26-2023, 05:49 PM   #56

Im wanting to do this upgrade and make sure I order all the correct parts.

It seems like there are a few continental models for the 986 boxster

Im looking for the model number that does NOT have cd player but just BT and radio.

Also exactly what harness is needed for base 1997 boxster?

Surprised there isnt a kit on ECS or pelican parts

joshuatrueanderson is offline   Reply With Quote