Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Continental Extreme Contact Sport: thumbs up

Just thought I'd share for those out there thinking about new tires. I've been considering tires for my 01S for a while. I put Continental Extreme Contact DW's on my daily (Volvo 850 turbo with suspension mods) and was pleased, so after some price comparisons and reading, I went with the new generation of this tire, the Extreme Contact Sport, for my Boxster.

75 miles into ownership, I am impressed. Great levels of grip, very communicative, and not too loud. Haven't pushed them to their limit, but all the initial signs point to them being a good choice at about 2/3rds the cost of the new Michelin Pilots.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

Garage
After using Michelen's for decades on various vehicles, I tried Conts Extreme Contacts on my Audi; a year later a tire flatted out without warning; returned to trusty Michelens
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Had a good experience with my Conti DWS all seasons, so just today I ordered a set of the Extreme Contact Sports. Pretty much nothing but good reviews on Tire Rack, so we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

My .02....

....I've run the DW's on my wife's Fusion, hardly a sports sedan, but I was very impressed.

A car buddy I trust runs the DW's on all of his cars, an E39 M5, an old M635Csi, and a Volvo wagon, he loves them.

I had the previous generation Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's and I wasn't that impressed with them.

I have Bridgestone S-04's on my 2004 Boxster S and I'm really loving them. For the money, they are hard to beat, and you can find them in stock at any local Firestone store.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

I looked at the Bridgestones too, and I'm glad to hear they are working out well!

Another one I thought about was the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. I've had two sets of them in the past and they were nothing short of amazing. I'm not pushing this car as hard as I did that one, so I didn't think I needed 180 tread wear tires.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #6

Check the Tire Rack Spider Chart ?
The Conti DW is a good compromise.If your priority is Handling , they show some much better alternatives YEMV
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=120
I agree with your choice because I want the best Wet-Stopping rating and the Conti DW is by far the best of those reviewed including Mich PS2.Why wet stopping ? Because in my driving conditions, that is the most likely time to have an accident.
You'll always find single use anecdotes that may involve old tires(tread depth not withstanding) or no documentation. In most cases , Tire Rack testing seems a more credible source than individual opinions. Yemv

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Just thought I'd share for those out there thinking about new tires. I've been considering tires for my 01S for a while. I put Continental Extreme Contact DW's on my daily (Volvo 850 turbo with suspension mods) and was pleased, so after some price comparisons and reading, I went with the new generation of this tire, the Extreme Contact Sport, for my Boxster.

75 miles into ownership, I am impressed. Great levels of grip, very communicative, and not too loud. Haven't pushed them to their limit, but all the initial signs point to them being a good choice at about 2/3rds the cost of the new Michelin Pilots.

Last edited by Gelbster; 04-14-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

Good call on the chart. Part of the reason I buy from Tire Rack is the testing they do and their knowledge.

I will be interested to see where the Extreme Contact Sport (the DW is the previous gen) lands on that. I talked with Tire Rack and they expect to test these in the next couple of months-- he said he expected the Sport to best the DW in grip and since I was happy with the DW on the Volvo, I picked the Sport up for the 986.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Check the Tire Rack Spider Chart ?
The Conti DW is a good compromise.If your priority is Handling , they show some much better alternatives YEMV
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=120
I agree with your choice because I want the best Wet-Stopping rating and the Conti DW is by far the best of those reviewed including Mich PS2.Why wet stopping ? Because in my driving conditions, that is the most likely time to have an accident.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #8

I had Conti's on my Box when I got it, so had about 30K on them, and will say I was very unimpressed. The grip was poor - lots of tire spin when wet.
Switched to PS2's and was blown away with the difference.
Apparently the Conti's do not wear well. Would never switch back.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Garage
Continental Extreme Contact Sport: thumbs up

Running Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my Boxster. Lots of commuting and 4 HDPE track days with still plenty of tread. Not the stickiest compound. Long lasting, confident feel in wet and slush conditions. They are a balance between performance and all season. I hear Continental has a track tested alternative soon to be available in the USA. Hopefully I will be trying them on my Boxster next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cheese; 04-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #10

Great tires!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Good call on the chart. Part of the reason I buy from Tire Rack is the testing they do and their knowledge.

I will be interested to see where the Extreme Contact Sport (the DW is the previous gen) lands on that. I talked with Tire Rack and they expect to test these in the next couple of months-- he said he expected the Sport to best the DW in grip and since I was happy with the DW on the Volvo, I picked the Sport up for the 986.
Glad you found it useful and appreciate the significance of deferring to the Pros. I am certainly very grateful to them(Tire Rack) for their published results. It is a huge advance on the old days when merely Brand name, reputation or anecdotes determined tire selection for enthusiasts.
One other Tire retailer used to publish somewhat similar test buy I can't remember.Was it Big O ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Yes, thanks for linking that chart. It confirmed my choice of a reasonably priced compromise tire. But as was said above, the Extreme Contact Sport is too new to be included, although user reviews on it so far seem pretty positive as well as mentioning improved grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote