Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Garage
Need some help please

In December, I took the Porsche out on one of the unusually warm days and I noticed a whine coming out of the engine compartment while the car was moving. I drove slowly and carefully until the car started to warm and as the warming increased the whine decreased. At normal operating temperature, the whine is barely distinguishable.

Car goes back into hibernation, a few days ago I take the Porsche back out and the same thing happens, except the outside temperature is above 75 F. I recently changed the belt in between these two drives, just because it needed it and I thought it might help.

The 2004 S is a tiptronic and I'm wondering if the fluid or filter needs to be changed in the transmission or if it might be the differential. The fluid is original and there is 28000 miles on the car.

Any advice is appreciated. If you have questions I'll try to answer them.

Last edited by eicheldp; 04-13-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
eicheldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Only when the car is "moving"? No noise coming from anywhere when parked/idle?

Friend here just replaced a belt pulley, black/plastic/round thingy. The noise coming out of that failed bearing was sort of a wining noise but we could hear it when parked also.

Hope nothing major bud :/
Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Take the panel out from behind the seats and drive for just a bit and see if you can do more sound source location. Idler pulley? Air leak?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

did you rev it in neutral? no whine?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Garage
Did not notice the whine when idling. Only when in gear (forward and reverse) was the whine apparent. I did not Rev it in neutral, but I will try that later.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

This info & links may help:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/6203-tiptronic-transmission-service/?_fromLogin=1
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #7

Check power steering level too.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

revving it in neutral will let you determine if the whine is tied to something spinning on the engine (belts, pumps, bearings) or something spinning in the drivetrain (cv's, axles, bearings, brakes, etc.).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
As already mentioned, it sounds like it could be the power steering fluid, if so, the sound should change when you turn.

A great tactic is to remove the belt, run the engine for a short period, and see if the sound is still there, if not spin everything the belt would spin using your hand and feel for sticking or vibration when turning. If you find anything that is not smooth turning, that's your answer.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #10

Garage
Thanks for all the ideas everybody, I guess I'll be busy the next few days. Gelbster, thanks for the link but that's more than I want to try. I'll leave that to the experts.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #11

Garage
Simple and cheap first step is to replace the serpentine belt. Especially if it has been on there near or past the service interval. While the belt is off, check the pulleys for play and spin them to listen for any "unusual sounds".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Thanks for all the ideas everybody, I guess I'll be busy the next few days. Gelbster, thanks for the link but that's more than I want to try. I'll leave that to the experts.
As James hinted - top up the P/s Fluid.
There is an 'O' ring on the neck of the reservoir that goes hard and leaks- easy to see.
BTW the smart guys say Redline synthetic P/s fluid is an acceptable alternative to Pentosin
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Simple and cheap first step is to replace the serpentine belt. Especially if it has been on there near or past the service interval. While the belt is off, check the pulleys for play and spin them to listen for any "unusual sounds".
Hi Cheese, I actually did that back in March when it got warmer. I checked the pulleys and the tensioners for both play and movement when I replaced the belt.

Earlier today, I started the engine and listened closely, no whine while idling.
Turned the steering wheel lock to lock, both right and left - no whine.
Revved the engine a few times while in park and in neutral - no whine.

I did not go out for a drive due to other obligations (Honey Do List) but I will try to get out tomorrow and see what's up.

Would it be worth while to plug in the duramatic. Would it show any transmission problems?

Thanks

Last edited by eicheldp; 04-14-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Hi Cheese, I actually did that back in March when it got warmer. I checked the pulleys and the tensioners for both play and movement when I replaced the belt.

Earlier today, I started the engine and listened closely, no whine while idling.
Turned the steering wheel lock to lock, both right and left - no whine.
Revved the engine a few times while in park and in neutral - no whine.

I did not go out for a drive due to other obligations (Honey Do List) but I will try to get out tomorrow and see what's up.

Would it be worth while to plug in the duramatic. Would it show any transmission problems?

Thanks

I would definitely plug in the durametric. I suspect you have an automatic transmission. How recent is your last transmission service? Mine is a 5 speed and usually begins to wheeze a bit when fluid change is overdue. With the top down, on a quiet winding road you can hear it loading and unloading the gears as it corners or climbs small elevation changes. Fresh fluid has put the muzzle on my Getrag greyhound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #15

Garage
Plugged the Drametric in today and fortunately or unfortunately there were no faults displayed. I just may have to let the Porsche sit and idle for a while before I drive it.

Last edited by eicheldp; 04-16-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #16

Garage
I thought I would report back with the solution to the problem I reported earlier.

I took the car to my Indy and he diagnosed the problem for me. I had a leak in my high pressure power steering line. It seems the fluid was low enough to cause the pump to whine, but the fluid expands when warm and it was enough to satisfy the pump.

No drips on the floor, it only happened when I was driving. I never checked the fluid because I couldn't open the reservoir (lack of strength in my hands at the time).

The part is in house waiting to get installed. Just in time for the BRBS in North Carolina.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #17

Awesome, thanks for the update! Glad you got it figured out!