Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Okay, now we're gettin' somewhere.

So, when people say it's best to use the Porsche transmission oil, that it's so much superior to the competition, that would apply equally to both the Mobil and the Shell products?

BTW, I have no axe to grind here...I'm just trying to figure out what's going into my gearbox.
Approved Manual Transmission Oils

000 043 204 20 Mobil (Mobilube PTX) - 20 liter container

000 043 204 19 Shell (Transaxle) - 20 liter container

999 917 546 00 Shell (Transaxle) - 1 liter container

Note: All are full synthetic rated (or "non-conventional processing") oils. These oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-01-2017 at 05:37 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Looking at this again, I should re-word: Not what "you, JFP, have had customers drain out other transmission oils to put in?"

What I meant to say is what "you JFP, at the request of your customers, have drained out of transmissions to put in?" I'm pretty sure you weren't holding a gun to their heads..
Some time we needed to just about strangle customers who insisted that "they read on the internet" this or that oil was perfect for their cars, and then they had noise, hard shifting (particularly when cold), etc. And when we told them it was the oil they used, they insisted we were wrong. By far, the most common gear oils we drained out and replaced with the factory fill (and solved their problems) were Royal Purple, Red Line, and Amsoil.

Years ago, we wrote to all of the major gear oil suppliers looking for an exact match to the OEM oil, and were totally dismayed by their responses, particularly for the five speed products. The "big boys" all told us that the factory fill was a unique product that was only available through Porsche, while the smaller compounders said they had perfect matches. Unfortunately, the "perfect matches" were the products we were draining out of customer's cars and replacing with the OEM fluids.

Sometimes you just have to swallow hard and accept the obvious; there are some unique lubricants out there, and if they are speced for your car, you have to live with it. Currently, we are seeing similar issues with the newer CVT transmissions common in many cars; these things use an unusual ATF that is formulated around the transmission, and sell for $14-18 per quart, and are often only found at the dealers. People that cheap out and use "exact match" aftermarket fluids find themselves with an out of warranty CVT that no longer works at all, and cannot be rebuilt in the field. Nissan, for example, sells replacement units at $2800.00 (shop cost), plus an $800 core charge. So much for saving a few bucks on transmission oil...................
Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #43

Quote:
According to Bentley should be the same socket.

On how frequently to change the transmission oil opinions vary. The Bentley manual (which I assume is based on Porsche recommendations) says only every 90k miles. Wayne, in his 101 Projects book, recommends every 30k miles. I tend toward somewhere in between.

Great! Thank you for your replay. I appreciate it.

One more thing I know engine oil been extensively discussed in this forum but I'm still confused What oil weight I should use. Should I use 0w-40 Mobil? 15W-40 ? Can I use castrol or penzoil instead of Mobil one? I drive the car leisurely I don't track>
JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC IN IL View Post
What oil weight I should use. Should I use 0w-40 Mobil? 15W-40 ? Can I use castrol or penzoil instead of Mobil one? I drive the car leisurely I don't track>
People have discussed motor oil choices ad nauseum here and elsewhere online. If you want to hear all the opinions, you're gonna need to use the "Search" feature. You should do this when you have many hours at your disposal. Most people here have drifted away from the Mobil One---apparently the formulation changed a few years back (to something less desirable than previously). As far as weights, generally you can't go too wrong with 10w40 weight. Some in warmer climates I guess will go heavier, perhaps 15w50 or 20w50. I use Castrol 10w40 and it's been fine. I think it's pretty well agreed that regularity of oil changes is more important than what you use.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Approved Manual Transmission Oils

000 043 204 20 Mobil (Mobilube PTX) - 20 liter container

000 043 204 19 Shell (Transaxle) - 20 liter container

999 917 546 00 Shell (Transaxle) - 1 liter container

Note: All are full synthetic rated (or "non-conventional processing") oils. These oils have good light running properties because of their light low-temperature viscosity as well as a high level of temperature stability.
Thanks, John.
I was pretty much ready to order the PTX from Sunset but then, out of curiosity, asked them if they still carried any Shell brand transm oils. This is what they said they carry:
000-043-305-49 Shell
Both Sunset and Pelican Parts carry this, both say it's Porsche-approved, and both indicate it's what has superseded the "no longer available" 999 917 546 00 Shell. Yet another part number, eh?

I guess I'll get that or the PTX...as soon as I can find a coin to flip
Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Thanks, John.
I was pretty much ready to order the PTX from Sunset but then, out of curiosity, asked them if they still carried any Shell brand transm oils. This is what they said they carry:
000-043-305-49 Shell
Both Sunset and Pelican Parts carry this, both say it's Porsche-approved, and both indicate it's what has superseded the "no longer available" 999 917 546 00 Shell. Yet another part number, eh?

I guess I'll get that or the PTX...as soon as I can find a coin to flip
You could always save some $ and buy it from Sunset Porsche.....
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #47

Kinda what I had in mind. As far as the oil choice, you think it's a toss-up?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Kinda what I had in mind. As far as the oil choice, you think it's a toss-up?
We tend to lean towards the Shell product, only because we have never had a problem with it, but I am sure they are very similar.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 AM   #49

As an addendum comment, one thing that I was confused on was this whole issue of "alignment" problems arising in conjunction with this project. On asking around I learned that it apparently has nothing to do with wheel alignment, only alignment of the bolts and holes when trying to re-install the reinforcement plate just below the transmission.

And I got different results than some depending on how one gets their car up in the air. The first time I rolled it back onto ramps, doing this on a sloped driveway such that the back end was elevated while front wheels were still on the concrete, and the car was level. I had no problems getting the plate back on that time. That was 30-35k miles ago, so I decided it was time to repeat the oil change. Out of curiosity this time I put the car on 4 jack stands to access the transaxle drain and fill plug. This time I did have difficulty getting the plate back on. A lot of difficulty. So anyway, this time I took the advice that's been given: got a 2 1/2" hole saw and made an opening below the drain plug for next time.

BTW, another thing I noticed: Both Bentley and 101 Projects were, for me, misleading as to where the fill plug was. They show it right next to where the shaft comes out of the transmission (ie just in front of where the inner axle boot is, driver-side). In my car ('01 S) it was on the same side (ie driver's side) but several inches behind the shaft. It's pretty obvious, pretty much looks just like the drain plug (10 mm Allens both, in my car), but it just wasn't where they said it was.

Also, another recommendation: In my car either plug fit into either opening, and I mixed them up. When I refilled the oil, I noticed a little seepage at the drain hole. Then I noticed that the fill plug had a thick washer on it; the drain plug did not. I had switched them! Obviously the drain plug (being lower) is the one that needs the washer. So don't do that..
Old 11-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #50
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
JFP provided 3 words of advice when changing the manual trans oil in a 6 speed 986.

1 - drill out an access drain hole in the aluminum bottom plate
2 - remove the fill plug FIRST
3 - fill only with the proper, read Porsche, fluid

He has done hundreds, maybe thousands of changes. I have one 986. Experience and free advice from an expert is priceless.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #51

The oil issue for the 6 speed has been discussed at length - notably with info from Smallblock454.The general conclusion for both 5 & 6 speed is that anything other than the correct spec is an ill-informed and expensive choice.Following is for 6 six speed only.
2nd gear, hard to shift after tranny oil change
2nd gear issues
Gearbox 8620-1003 for Boxtser S 04/2003
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #52
Who's askin'?

Help finding the Porsche fluid?

Hey y'all:
I've read enough of these threads now to be convinced that the Genuine Porsche fluid is the way I want to go in the 6-spd trans ('03 S).
However: I'm browsing sites, and where I find it at all, I'm finding "no longer available". Or available only in 20-litre qty.

Can y'all point me to your source for genuine Porsche manual trans fluid?

Thanks in advance
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Hey y'all:
I've read enough of these threads now to be convinced that the Genuine Porsche fluid is the way I want to go in the 6-spd trans ('03 S).
However: I'm browsing sites, and where I find it at all, I'm finding "no longer available". Or available only in 20-litre qty.

Can y'all point me to your source for genuine Porsche manual trans fluid?

Thanks in advance
Try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #54
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR.
thanks JFP, I'll give em a shout on Monday!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote