Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

rear brake ducts

big big fun time!

hey, what is that? i recognise the gt3 front brake ducts, but what are those things in the back?

here's a closer look:

turns out they are 997 turbo rear brake ducts, part #'s:

so, bought a set and trimmed them up to fit the 986:

and put them on the car:

credit where credit is due, i initially read about it at the link below, after i warped a rear rotor and went looking for cooling solutions (another topic, but i think the warping didn't happen because of any track abuse, but rather the mechanic who should have known better put anti-squeal pads on my pagids - here's a lesson: do ALL your work yourself, kids):

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-competition/83797-rear-brake-ducts-987s.html

Last edited by The Radium King; 03-22-2017 at 08:22 PM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 AM   #2

Very cool. The new cup cars are ducting air to the inner CV joint too.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #3

Very cool, I have a set of those, and played with them and could never get them to fit (but maybe I was afraid to trim them too much), I'll have to get them out and trim them up to match yours and see if I can put them on.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

here's a bit of a trim template:

trim the upper part of the duct to pass the parking brake cable and accommodate the wheel. there are two small tabs to remove. the fastener closest to the hub works ok, but the one closer to the front of the car needs to be zip-tied together.

and yeah, it'll probably do more good to cool the cv's than the brakes. i think the two ducts on the tray under the transmission cool the inner cvs?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

Nice...not sure why but I had thought that 996 GT3 rear ducts have been used in the past and were a close fit
Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

not sure 996 gt3 ducts exist? there are 996 turbo units, but apparently a lot more work to make fit than the 997 turbo units i used (there's a bit of info in the planet 9 link) plus more expensive.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Very cool, I have a set of those, and played with them and could never get them to fit (but maybe I was afraid to trim them too much), I'll have to get them out and trim them up to match yours and see if I can put them on.
Turns out I have the ".03" part number which has differences, on my set I had to trim some of the bottom too and still couldn't get them to fit... I may have to get set of the ".02" part and try it again.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote