Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Power steering rack removal

My 2000 3.2S has developed a fairly significant leak from the power steering pipes. A good look shows that its the two upper metal pipes (looking from underneath) that go from one end of the rack and run along the main body of the rack. Both have lots of corrosion on them and they really need to be replaced which looks like its impossible without removing the steering rack.
I've added some Wynn's Power Steering Stop Leak to hopefully buy me some time but I need to do the inevitable at some point.
Has anyone got a guide to steering rack removal?

sbloxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

Puzzled that the pipes perforated with corrosion. Have you lost the plastic panels that fit under the floor-pan to protect them?
Boxster 986 (1997-2004) - Linings, for Underbody
They should be available inexpensively ,with the p/s pipes from a Dismantler near you?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
I don't have a link to a diy, but I remember it was a straightforward job.
Remove the wheels and disconnect both tie rods from wheel carrier.
In my case they came loose by themselves, but if not, you can use one of these:

3/4" Forged Ball Joint Separator

After that, loosen the screw that connects the rack to the steering column.
Disconnect hydraulic lines.
Remove two bolts from bottom part of steering rack, and slide it out thru one of the sides thru the wheel well.
When you install it back, be very careful with the rack bolts.
Use a good torque wrench and tighten them to spec.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by Meir; 02-26-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

I removed the rack a few years ago and if I remember correctly you have to lower (but not completely remove) the subframe to clear the rack out of there.

Is not a difficult job as long as you have a strong torso, as the bolts on the subframe will have to be torqued at +/- 130ft-lbs (or more..?)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #5

The tubes (lines) can be removed without dropping the rack. You will have to twist them around a bit after disconnecting them from the rack, but doable. There are small o rings that seal the fittings where the lines enter the rack. I have a nice set of lines I just removed for electric PS pump. Excellent condition. $150.00 plus shipping for the pair.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:20 AM   #6

I'd replace the O-rings where the lines go into the rack and see if that fixes the problem first. The only people I ever sell power steering lines and R&P to are guys who race these cars. Most of the time the only reason they're buying them is because they've either wrecked their car or went off the track and messed up the lines underneath. You don't need to lower the subframe to remove the lines.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'd replace the O-rings where the lines go into the rack and see if that fixes the problem first. The only people I ever sell power steering lines and R&P to are guys who race these cars. Most of the time the only reason they're buying them is because they've either wrecked their car or went off the track and messed up the lines underneath. You don't need to lower the subframe to remove the lines.
Woody is spot on here. I just bought the o rings for my conversion. $22 from dealer
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #8

My lines rusted through. It's more common in the UK due to the salt on the roads in winter.

I had to change the pipes with the steering rack in-situ as my hydraulic lines that are bolted in were totally seized. I thought the job was a total pain in the arse.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote