Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #1

base 986 engine swap options

Hi everyone, I have been looking around the forums and google about 986 engine swaps and have read the LS3 and Subaru threads, also I am currently reading on the Audi v8 and 996 3.6 engines. I have contacted Kennedy and they also mentioned Chevy and Ford small blocks?

I was wondering would these work on a 5 speed base boxster? I am in the market for one in my area but they are all base models. One is a 97 5 speed with about 60k miles. The S with the 6 speed I have yet to see and have been waiting for....

What are the options in future engine swaps for a 5 speed?
Or should I just save for a boxster S as Ive read the 6 speed trans is stronger.

I am just looking to get to about 350hp or maybe 400 to be greedy, but 350 should be good for a nice daily driver. What is the best bang for buck option?

Just planning ahead before making a purchase. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

There is a Renegade swapped car for sale on the Atlanta CL. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5986041270.html give him a call and see how it went. Is everything working (gauges etc), smogs, etc.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

If your'e looking for a LS conversion i would recommend to read this: BoxsterLS376 introduction - LS3 conversion :)

A 97 base is imho not a good basis for such a 350-400 HP conversion. I would recommend a S as a basis.

There is a guy in the UK who did a Audi 2.7 Bi-Turbo conversion at a relative low budget. A LS3 will be a lot of money in the end.

AudiSRS.com :: Porsche Boxster S 986 - Audi 2.7 Bi-Turbo engine swap

Regards, Markus
Old 02-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

Smallblock, good catch on the '97 and its suitability. Brakes and rear suspension structure beefed up in '98 and even trans and axles are different on the S
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

meh. a base car is as good a place to start as anywhere else. S has the third radiator, but the extra cooling may not be required - if you read the subi conversion thread he had too much cooling just w the stock rads. S has the 6-speed transmission but note that the 6-speed introduces other problems - it is considerably longer and introduces fitment and geometry issues in a swap. 6-speed can handle more power than a a 5-speed (i am currently putting 350 hp through a 5-speed, however). re the bigger brakes - any spec racer will tell you the base brakes are good.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

If you only drive in a straight line - or a drag strip - the base brakes might be OK, Personally i don't have no problems to get the 986S brakes to fade on windy black forest streets even with new disks, Brembo HP 2000 pads, bigger GT2 vents and fresh DOT5 brake fluid. So maybe no problems in regions where you can't get the car to its limits. But why should i buy a car like a 986 if i live a region where a typical US car with a big engine an is the better buy?

Regards, Markus
Old 02-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #7

In my opinion, You have to use the 6 speed if you go with the chevy motor because the torque will grenade the 5 speed. Now you might get by with the 5 speed on the audi motors and I believe the 5 speed will bolt right up to them with no special aftermarket part. I've heard the 2005 and up 5 speeds are stronger. Another down side of the 6 speed is it will cost 2-4 times more than a 5 speed. Save some $$ going with the 5 speed to audi motor. If you go with a subi motor, I'd use the subi tranny too. There's kits out there to convert them into 2wd transmissions.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm very slowly moving towards an Audi 4.2L V8 swap into a 2000 S. Nothing notable for progress yet, but a few comments that I can contribute.

The 32 Valve (ABZ) engine:
Cable throttle.
Bolts right up to the 5-speed transmission.
Did not come with a manual transmission option in the USA.
Has a 10 bolt output on the crankshaft and will need a custom adapter to mate up with any flywheel. 034 motorsports makes one. Looks like they are almost out of stock.
A simpler (probably more reliable) design than the 40V engines, but a little less power.
Very affordable.

40 Valve (AKB, AQF, ART, AUX, AWN....)
Comes in a variety of vehicles: A6, A8, VW Touareg.
eGas throttle.
8 bolt output, can directly use an available flywheel and clutch.
Variable valve timing and a little more power than the ABZ.
Costs more than the ABZ, but still very affordable.
More complex for custom ECU.

***Neither of these is an easy fit and will require some creativity to sort out the height and position of the intake.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-11-2017 at 07:43 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #9

I just did a custom ecu for a guy with a later me7.1.1 4.2 ART in his 986. There are manual file available and it can be made to run correctly. If my 3.2 ever dies, It will get a 2.7t APB engine on a small single turbo. So much room. There is a great post about the 2.7t in a 986 on audi revolution if you google. He had ECU issues which made his swap more complex, but he never found a good tuner to take care of him.
stuklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

This is a guy who actually does this kind of work - not just a keyboard mechanic ! If he chooses an Audi V8 ,there has to be some good reasons !
The AUdi V6 tt swap I linked months ago was done by a guy in U.K. -on ramps, outside ! So it must be fairly straightforward.
Porsche Boxster 986 - engine swap project - Page 1 - Readers' Cars - PistonHeads

Just google "Boxster audi v6 swap" -lots of hits.This is what Porsche should have done from the beginning to differentiate from the 996.Imagine = all the reliability and lower parts prices of an Audi !It is all relative !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I'm very slowly moving towards an Audi 4.2L V8 swap into a 2000 S. Nothing notable for progress yet, but a few comments that I can contribute.

The 32 Valve (ABZ) engine:
Cable throttle.
Did not come with a manual transmission option in the USA.
Has a 10 bolt output on the crankshaft and will need a custom adapter to mate up with any flywheel. 034 motorsports makes one. Looks like they are almost out of stock.
A simpler (probably more reliable) design than the 40V engines, but a little less power.
Very affordable.

40 Valve (AKB, AQF, ART, AUX, AWN....)
Comes in a variety of vehicles: A6, A8, VW Touareg.
eGas throttle.
8 bolt output, can directly use an available flywheel and clutch.
Variable valve timing and a little more power than the ABZ.
Costs more than the ABZ, but still very affordable.
More complex for custom ECU.

***Neither of these is an easy fit and will require some creativity to sort out the height and position of the intake.

Last edited by Gelbster; 02-22-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
This is a guy who actually does this kind of work - not just a keyboard mechanic ! If he chooses an Audi V8 ,there has to be some good reasons !
The AUdi V6 tt swap I linked months ago was done by a guy in U.K. -on ramps, outside ! So it must be fairly straightforward.
Porsche Boxster 986 - engine swap project - Page 1 - Readers' Cars - PistonHeads

Just google "Boxster audi v6 swap" -lots of hits.This is what Porsche should have done from the beginning to differentiate from the 996.Imagine = all the reliability and lower parts prices of an Audi !It is all relative !
Just trying to imagine that.....
THE HORROR...
I am happy with what they did...I would have NEVER bought e,g. a flat4 986 (or a VW-Porsche or 924) back then...nor will it ever happen in the future
Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuklr View Post
I just did a custom ecu for a guy with a later me7.1.1 4.2 ART in his 986. There are manual file available and it can be made to run correctly. If my 3.2 ever dies, It will get a 2.7t APB engine on a small single turbo. So much room. There is a great post about the 2.7t in a 986 on audi revolution if you google. He had ECU issues which made his swap more complex, but he never found a good tuner to take care of him.
Already linked - see post 9 above.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Just trying to imagine that.....
THE HORROR...
I am happy with what they did...I would have NEVER bought e,g. a flat4 986 (or a VW-Porsche or 924) back then...nor will it ever happen in the future
There are so many VAG and generic German parts in it and the assembly in Finland -that it has not got as much uniquely Porsche parts as people think.Those Porsche-only parts are the ones that give the very expensive problems. The Audi V6 tt is more powerful, same/less weight ,lower cost to maintain and repair,easier to access - what is not to love - other than P-car bragging rights ?
Without the M96/7Boxster sales , Porsche may have been unable to sell the 996 at such 'low' prices. So we saved them !
Old 02-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #14

I'm the guy doing the Audi 2.7t swap. It's probably the easiest engine to fit as it'll bolt straight up to a 5 speed transaxle and it's not too big. I haven't had to cut my shell at all.

Turbocharging a Boxster isn't cheap or easy, regardless of the engine so if you are only wanting 350bhp i'd probably be looking at the Audi V8 (will require hacking to fit it).
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escy View Post
I'm the guy doing the Audi 2.7t swap. It's probably the easiest engine to fit as it'll bolt straight up to a 5 speed transaxle and it's not too big. I haven't had to cut my shell at all.

Turbocharging a Boxster isn't cheap or easy, regardless of the engine so if you are only wanting 350bhp i'd probably be looking at the Audi V8 (will require hacking to fit it).
Thanks for chiming in .You have more credibility that most on this subject. I just wish the local Smog Test Laws here in Ca;California made it possible. It would have saved many of those with failed M96 engines a lot of money.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escy View Post

That reminds me; my original idea was to try out a 2.8L V6 from a B5 which is very similar to the 2.7TT without the turbos. I only went as far as fitting it in the engine bay. That would probably be the easiest, least expensive alternative to replace a failed 2.5L M96. For all the trouble though, it isn't an upgrade and the full cost of doing the swap would probably be higher than a replacement 2.5L.
Here's a pic with the engine sitting a little higher than it would actually mount:
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #17

Agreed , used 2.5l Boxster engines are cheap - for a reason !
Just to close the circle, what are the Audi-engine options with the 6 speed for the Boxster S ? The 4.2L V8?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #18

would the 1.8 20v turbo be too tall? easy horsepower,
vr6 same same, by all accounts they all bolt up to the boxster trans,
ooh how about the v6 tdi...
v8 tdi!
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #19

The 1.8t would be too tall. For the 986 Boxster 3.2 transaxle there isn't anything that bolts up perfectly and the starter motor location is in the wrong place and there is no provision for a crank position sensor. I've used a 987 3.2/3.4 6 speed for my conversion. Again, they don't come cheap and they are physically bigger than the 5 speed.

It's a shame Audi never did a decently powerful n/a version of their V6 engine.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
That reminds me; my original idea was to try out a 2.8L V6 from a B5 which is very similar to the 2.7TT without the turbos. I only went as far as fitting it in the engine bay. That would probably be the easiest, least expensive alternative to replace a failed 2.5L M96. For all the trouble though, it isn't an upgrade and the full cost of doing the swap would probably be higher than a replacement 2.5L.
Here's a pic with the engine sitting a little higher than it would actually mount:
I think that is a great fit but all that plastic round the engine will melt!! 😂😂😂

Tonybandit is offline   Reply With Quote