Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

ECS Tuning Direct Fit Stainless Lines

Hello all

I recently purchased a set of these brake lines and I am having a hell of a time installing. I have installed many brake line on Boxsters and for some reason I can't get these to sit without crazy twist in the lines no matter what I do. I will be calling ECS on Monday to find if they are Front,Rear or side specific but I am under the impression they are not. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

You do not want the crazy twist, I installed a set of stainless lines (brand unknown) and had to twist them to get them line up in the front, both front side failed on me at the joint where it meets the caliper hard line. One failed in the parking lot at road Atlanta. I removed them all after that and am back to OEM, good enough for cup cars, good enough for me

Hopefully they have guidance on what to do to resolve. Luckily I had a spare and only missed one session
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellkid22 View Post
Hello all

I recently purchased a set of these brake lines and I am having a hell of a time installing. I have installed many brake line on Boxsters and for some reason I can't get these to sit without crazy twist in the lines no matter what I do. I will be calling ECS on Monday to find if they are Front,Rear or side specific but I am under the impression they are not. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You did say what year or model, but on most the front and rears are slightly different.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
You do not want the crazy twist, I installed a set of stainless lines (brand unknown) and had to twist them to get them line up in the front, both front side failed on me at the joint where it meets the caliper hard line. One failed in the parking lot at road Atlanta. I removed them all after that and am back to OEM, good enough for cup cars, good enough for me

Hopefully they have guidance on what to do to resolve. Luckily I had a spare and only missed one session
Strange, we have installed literally hundreds of braided SS brake line sets over the years, and the only one we ever had to replace was damaged by engine pieces exiting the former power plant. We only use one brand of lines, and have never had to twist them, or do anything else to make them fit. They literally dropped right in with no fuss whatever.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Strange, we have installed literally hundreds of braided SS brake line sets over the years, and the only one we ever had to replace was damaged by engine pieces exiting the former power plant. We only use one brand of lines, and have never had to twist them, or do anything else to make them fit. They literally dropped right in with no fuss whatever.
If they are different front to back I may have put the wrong ones up front. They were DOT approved but I don't recall the brand. The OEM ones I replaced them with dropped right in, no twist and are going strong. I think.it was installation errors and twist strained that joint every time the wheel moved.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

I got mine from pelican and they were simple to install with no problems.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

OP, as a quick test, detach the stainless line where it attaches to the body side hard line and rotate 180, and reattach and see if that resolves the caliper side hard line connection?

Last edited by steved0x; 06-26-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 AM   #8

I messed around with them yesterday and it seems like the maybe different front and back. It looks like it may be installation error because I know when you buy oem lines the can be put on any corner so I didn't even think twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
OP, as a quick test, detach the stainless line where it attaches to the body side hard line and rotate 180, and reattach and see if that resolves the caliper side hard line connection?

cellkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote