Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #21

Thats awesome Stelan.

All thats left is to make a Parts list with source links and you have a full DIY article.

Not sure that pictures would add too much more info except perhaps the location and how the can was fixed in place.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #22

Parts List with numbers and sources for Stelan AOS

1. The PCV is from a 2003 VW Passat 1.8l turbo(??)
The generic part is BECK/ARNLEY 0450392 from Rock Auto $23 minus their usual 5% discount.
2003 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 1.8L L4 Turbocharged PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve | RockAuto
2. the 'catch can' - I am assuming that a generic EBay can 500 to 750ml & made of aluminum is the best choice. A design with an un-screwable cap is easiest for fabrication? Most have inconveniently positioned fittings that require modification or plugging:
Universal Silver Round Aluminum Racing Oil Catch Tank Can | eBay
The Mishimoto & Moroso cans seem too expensive for an experiment?
3.The various barbed fittings : - I prefer using brass & source from "Fast Fittings" because I can usually find everything I need on their site:
https://fastfittings.com/
For this application, here is a good place to start because it gives the actual(not just nominal dimensions of the fittings:
https://fastfittings.com/collections/brass-hose-barb-fittings

4.The stainless steel wool (coarse) is here in abundance & made in USA!
1 lb Stainless Steel Wool Roll Coarse Great Forexhaust Muffler Repacking | eBay

What we also need is a specification and source for the absolute best vacuum lines - both the hard line and the softer grade.The OEM items usually become brittle.Any improved AOS is only as good as the next weak link!
I prefer to avoid using what is described merely as "plastic" tube and try to find a specific high performance polymer to avoid deterioration and leaks in future.Tygon tube i one candidate ? I tried finding something better than SAE J30R7. 30R9 is too stiff & thick?
I hope this info and some of the ideas help move this project along for others who will follow.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #23
Artist, 986S tinkerer

So now we need a track rat who's willing to build this and try it out!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #24

I'm still apprehensive because if something as simple & inexpensive as Stelan's AOS is effective ,why didn't Porsche do it this way? And why haven't other talented enthusiasts done this years ago?
Some other mad guy proposed a system with an electric vacuum pump but that was way more complicated than Stelan's AOS.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #25

Hello,

does anybody know the inner diameter of the vacuum lines needed?

In general these hoses have to be fuel and oil resistant. So i would think more something like fabric reinforced fuel lines. Also had the idea of silicone lines, but silicone seems not to be oil and fuel stable. Also it has to be ethanol stable.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 06-16-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #26

Great suggestion Markus.
Silicone hose in the larger diameters for connection to a pcv tends to collapse when warm and under high vacuum at idle.Bends will kink. For that reason it will fail the Smog Test here if a tech sees the vivid color of aftermarket silicone hose.

You are correct, here is a fiber wall reinforced version but that helps with pressure ,not vacuum.
One solution may be to select thick wall/heavy wall silicone.It is so much easier to work with than the stock "plastic". I found some with a 3mm i.d. and 8mm o.d. Turbosmart TS-HV0303-BK
3m Pack-6mm Vacuum Tube Reinforced - Black
Normal wall thickness would be 1.5mm.This item is 2.5mm.Should help??
One complication is that silicone is very elastic so you usually buy it 1mm smaller i.d. than the 'plastic' OEM style tube.
Note that the silicone hose manufacturers seldom specify a wall thickness and tend to use hyperbole like "turbo" ,'platinum cured' ,so it can be difficult to find a truly premium product.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello,

In general these hoses have to be fuel and oil resistant. So i would think more something like fabric reinforced fuel lines. Also had the idea of silicone lines, but silicone seems not to be oil and fuel stable. Also it has to be ethanol stable.

Regards, Markus
Only problem is that the AOS unit uses "click on" hose ends which are vastly more failure prone than the hose itself:

Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #28

Hello Gelbster, hello JFP in PA,

JFP in PA: thanks for adding the picture. Pictures say more than words.

In general it seems that the AOS component (diaphragm) and the connectors seems to fail. The rest of the system seems to be stable. Rubber hoses will always fail if they transport oil. It's just a matter of time and quality and heat cycles.

First, i'm not a engineer, but maybe some aspects we should consider – also a summary of the aspects you have given to the discussion (hope i didn't miss something).
  • The hoses have a defined diameter. That means they have a defined maximum flow capacity.
  • If the hoses are too stiff that can lead to problems caused by vibrations. Especially when the AOS / catch can is mounted to the car chassis.
  • If the hoses are too elastic they may collapse by underpressure.
  • The special connectors can be a problem. I don't know if the connector at the throttle can be replaced – never changed an AOS at the 096 myself.
  • The hoses must be oil resistant and to some level they should be fuel and ethanol resistant. i don't think fuel and ethanol will be a main problem, because in general the fuel / ethanol part in motor oil is low. But old oil can contain aggressive substances, even if it is full synthetic.
  • We need to define how tong the complete system should work without failing.

I would say if the AOS system works for 15 years without failing it will be OK. What do you think?

Mostly the aspect with Porsche classic parts is that they are expensive because they are Porsche classic parts; not because they are expensive to make.

So i did a research on both hoses and connectors and AOS. There are 2 hoses that lead to the AOS housing and it seems that they both have these special connectors on both ends. Also they differ from model year and in part numbers. So it looks like Porsche has improved the parts and you should always look for the newest version. Also the lines differs from model to model, so there might be problems to offer an one fit all solution.

AOS: 4 different versions:
- 97 A 996 107 023 51
- 98 A 996 107 023 01
- 99 A 996 107 023 04
-> 03 A 996 107 026 01

Part number 4 (hose):
Until 2002 (DE): A 996 107 147 53, A 996 107 147 54, A 996 107 147 55
From 2003 (DE): A 996 107 147 58

Part number 5 (hose):
Until M 65x 01419 (DE) 996 107 145 06 (M96.20)
Since M 65X 01420 (DE) 996 107 145 06 (M96.20)
M96.21/22 / M 96.23/24 996 107 145 06

The hoses themselves are not ultra expensive. At Amazon they are around 40-70 USD. Which is a lot of money, but not ultra overpriced for Porsche parts. And i think you could get them cheaper elsewhere.

So where to go from here? Honestly i don’t know. I don’t know if the parts are really different in detail. If they are, this will be a bigger puzzle than i thought first.

What do you guys think?

Thanks & regards, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #29

Big advantage of the Stelan AOS is that many of these issues are eliminated because the stock AOS ,problematic connectors/fittings are eliminated or generic items substituted in brass(not plastic)
Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Big advantage of the Stelan AOS is that many of these issues are eliminated because the stock AOS ,problematic connectors/fittings are eliminated or generic items substituted in brass(not plastic)
How does he resolve the click on fitting that is molded into the plastic intake behind the throttle body?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
How does he resolve the click on fitting that is molded into the plastic intake behind the throttle body?
Maybe increase the hose diameter to go around it & get clamped in place. The connecting tube is 26mm diameter with a 28mm "barb".

Increasing hose diameter may reduce the vacum signal enough to effect ring seal though.

I wonder why the 97 AOS with the horozontaly oriented diaphram was replaced with the vertically oriented diaphram?

Last edited by BYprodriver; 06-17-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sp?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #32

Because oil used to sit on the diaphragm, weakening it with time.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #33

yes hose diameter is larger and it clamps over the fitting, the clicker is the part that is removed the part left is great for having a hose and clamp as it has a barbed-shape fitting.

hoses that are design for air/oil will outlast the brittle plastic ones, and yes those click on connectors work great for years then they are very problematic once hard plastic starts to degrade.
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello,

Regards, Markus
Just saw this thread, brilliant idea from Stelan, a new-must for the corner-heavy track I'm assuming.

@Markus - the material you are looking for is called composite for hydrocarbons. "Composite Hose for Hydrocarbon" (Schlauch für Kohlenwasserstoff) for instance should return data from your nearest hardware supplier.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
2001 Boxster S

stelan, if you are still out there, can you please give us a longterm review of your setup.

1. Has it been holding up?
2. Any thing fail or brake down since?
3. Has it resolved all AOS issues since?
4. Any relevant comments on this?

got an AOS failure and about to start tracking the boxster. Im stuck between starting the endless AOS replacement cycle or buying a motorsports AOS for a brick of gold.

On the other hand, your setup might just resolve all of this.

Thanks,

Chris
SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpIcEz View Post
stelan, if you are still out there, can you please give us a longterm review of your setup.

1. Has it been holding up?
2. Any thing fail or brake down since?
3. Has it resolved all AOS issues since?
4. Any relevant comments on this?

got an AOS failure and about to start tracking the boxster. Im stuck between starting the endless AOS replacement cycle or buying a motorsports AOS for a brick of gold.

On the other hand, your setup might just resolve all of this.

Thanks,

Chris
From what I understand, the design had a fatal flaw. Stelan seems to have taken $200 deposits from people in Nov. 2016, then just disappeared. It's been 2.5 years since anyone has heard from him.

He was a good guy, so it really makes me wonder what happened...
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:23 AM   #37

I believe i found a catch can setup that will work well and it should be less than 100 bucks. It basically sits in line between the aos and the intake.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:42 AM   #38
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I believe i found a catch can setup that will work well and it should be less than 100 bucks. It basically sits in line between the aos and the intake.
Interested!
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:59 AM   #39

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-85486-Separator-Mustang-4-6L/dp/B006JZ97EU

that is the unit, prices have come up a bit, but with coupon codes at jegs/summit, shouldn't be bad.

The mounting bracket has a single hole. Remove the ground strap nut, slide the bracket on, retighten nut. Its a tight fit to the forward passenger tab for the engine cover but it'll go.

Will take some pics later this weekend, but with the exception of 2 angled reducer fittings from home depot, its basically plug and play.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #40

some good recent threads on the rennlist 996 forum on this. basically, if you replace the aos with a catchcan (or an aos with a higher-flow diaphragm) then you introduce too much crankcase vapour during high vacuum idle situations (ie when you come off throttle after wot) and screw up idle fuel trims.

if you put a catch can after the aos then it has to be of sufficient size/volume to make a difference should the aos fail.

one solution that seems to be effective is to vent the aos to the airbox. i have yet to research it to any degree (i am of the 'just use the most recent version of the aos and you will be fine' school) but apparently it doesnt foul the air filter too much, and the airbox is of sufficient volume to hold the oil should the aos puke up. not certain if there is sufficient vacuum at this location to positively vent the crankcase, or if this vacuum is even necessary.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote