Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
hey Steve what do you recommend as far as alignment goes? i want to go with something a bit more aggressive like JayG was mentioning on this thread.

what's your setup?
When I was on stock suspension, I got the setup from this board, which was:

Max out neg camber in the front (around -1.0)
Leave the back where it was, which seems to be around -1.6 from the factory
No toe in, in the front (may make it wander a little bit for street driving and require more attentiveness, but I never noticed any)
A little toe in the back, like 3mm (whatever that means? ) They may have to change your rear camber a little to get this dialed in.

Make sure both sides are the same. They will do that if you ask.

That was the best feeling setup I had, once I started fiddling and adding parts the complexity went up a lot... Blah...

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
When I was on stock suspension, I got the setup from this board, which was:

Max out neg camber in the front (around -1.0)
Leave the back where it was, which seems to be around -1.6 from the factory
No toe in, in the front (may make it wander a little bit for street driving and require more attentiveness, but I never noticed any)
A little toe in the back, like 3mm (whatever that means? ) They may have to change your rear camber a little to get this dialed in.

Make sure both sides are the same. They will do that if you ask.

That was the best feeling setup I had, once I started fiddling and adding parts the complexity went up a lot... Blah...

sounds like a good starting point!
i will set it up like that and see how it feels. baby steps..

thanks for input!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #23

You could get a set of these, Pirelli Trofeo R, 60 TW, N0 Porsche rated:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+Trofeo+R&frontTire=245YR7P0TRN0&rearTire=54YR7P0TRN0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$782 a set.

I wonder how long they last...
Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
You could get a set of these, Pirelli Trofeo R, 60 TW, N0 Porsche rated:

Pirelli****P Zero Trofeo R

$782 a set.

I wonder how long they last...

reviews say not that long once you take them to the track.
and after you wear them a little they will probably completely suck in the rain which is a problem with the heavy summer rain in Miami where entire lakes form on the roads.

but still that's a damn good price for Pirellis!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
What tire you uses is also somewhat determined by what car class you are running in
For example, in PCA stock classes, you can't run a tire below 140 TW
If you are running in a prepared class, it may be a matter of performance points as well
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #26

RS3's are going on the front today so i will have a complete set all around. Yaay!

will do a break flush with Motul 600 tomorrow and an alignment sometime next week.

i was thinking.. i should be fine for a first time with the street pads right? they are only around 3.000 miles old all around.
or do i REALLY need track pads like EBC?

i know it depends on my driving style and this first time around i will be focusing on car control, being smooth and getting a good race line, i wont mash the breaks in each corner that's for sure.

what do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #27

Quote:
RS3's are going on the front today so i will have a complete set all around. Yaay!

will do a break flush with Motul 600 tomorrow and an alignment sometime next week.

i was thinking.. i should be fine for a first time with the street pads right? they are only around 3.000 miles old all around.
or do i REALLY need track pads like EBC?

i know it depends on my driving style and this first time around i will be focusing on car control, being smooth and getting a good race line, i wont mash the breaks in each corner that's for sure.

what do you guys think?
I ran my first few track days on the stock pads and they were fine. Then at Road Atlanta I used up about half of my fronts in one event , and I also melted my front brake sensors, and a brake light came on as I was braking into turn 10A going down the hill after the back straight. I *knew* I had plenty of brake pad but I still pitted to visually check them all. After that I moved to the EBC Red and also ditched the sensors (cut the wires and taped the ends together)

If your pads are newish and greater than 50% you would most likely be fine, once pads get below 50% they can allow a lot more heat into the braking system, and also they heat up more which can cause them to wear more quickly.

EBC Red is a good dual street/intro track pad, but when this current set wears out I am moving up to something else (Yellow?) since I don't do much street driving anymore.

I've never been to PBIR so I don't know if it has a reputation for being hard on brakes.

Have fun! Take pictures and make a report when you get back!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #28

thanks for the tip Steve!
i will stick with the street pads and move to EBC Red maybe when they go out. at that time i would prob also need new rotors.

do the EBC Reds make a lot of dust and noise on regular street driving?

track day is in July so still a while to go but trying to get prepared because i will be in Mexico with work for a month soon.

will have my GoPro mounted and everything when the day comes so you guys can see what an amateur i am
Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #29

Quote:
thanks for the tip Steve!
i will stick with the street pads and move to EBC Red maybe when they go out. at that time i would prob also need new rotors.
I would use 50% as the metric for when to replace your street pads if you are going to take them on the track. Once they get under 50% the rate of wear goes up very fast and you could find yourself out of brakes while at an event.

Quote:
do the EBC Reds make a lot of dust and noise on regular street driving?
Not really, sometimes they will squeal a very little bit but it is minor and usually getting on it a little will solve it. dust.... since I mostly drive on the track, my wheels usually look like this:

Then I wash them and they stay pretty clean until the next time...

I don't recall whether it was bad on street driving but I don't think it was.

Quote:
will have my GoPro mounted and everything when the day comes so you guys can see what an amateur i am
Yeah! Videos are great!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #30
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I was running stock pads last year, very dusty and faded fast. I'm on Redstuff now. They don't seem to be too dusty on street use, but I have some track time coming up so we'll see!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #31

One thing that may surprise you if you have never been to a car control clinic or an HPDE, is the brakes on our cars, they will pull out the false teeth of an unwary passenger if they are not careful.

I thought I was braking hard, near the threshold, and my instructor at this event, Al, a dentist that drive a 996 Turbo, took me down the back straight at road Atlanta, made sure there was nobody behind me, and told me to really get on the brakes and activate the ABS. I didn't push hard enough, next lap we tried again, and then I finally got into the ABS and it was a lot harder than I recall (this was on 200 TW Hankook R-S3, compared with my Sumitomo HTR Z III summer tires, that were easier to get into ABS). It was astounding. I "thought" I was braking hard/threshold braking up to that point... but there was more to be had.

The event in question was the same one I referred to earlier when I was still on the OEM stock pads. These cars are very capable.

Steve
Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #32

i got the new rubber on the front and took it to my usual places where i could push them hard. boy what a positive difference the 225 make on the front! i know it's partly the tire as well not just the size, i had 205 Michelin Pilot Sport on the front before and while not bad, very much a street tire.

the RS3's on 225 gives very solid steering feel when pushed to the limit and the grip.. now that's something to write home to your mom about! where before i would be squealing the heck out of the Michelins these were holding on for dear life and the poor girlfriend was having a really hard time trying to stay in her seat (not ready to splurge on a bucket seat for the passenger yet ). i had to push very hard to get them to break loose a bit. i was very impressed indeed at what a little more tire and grippier rubber does for the handling.

it feels more planted at speed as well and the steering is a tad heavier but in a good way. running 32psi front 34psi rear cold.

i am very happy with my purchase gents! thanks a lot for the input!
i can only imagine how it will handle with a more aggressive alignment which i'm hoping to get this week.

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 05-16-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #33
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
i got the new rubber on the front and took it to my usual places where i could push them hard. boy what a positive difference the 225 make on the front! i know it's partly the tire as well not just the size, i had 205 Michelin Pilot Sport on the front before and while not bad, very much a street tire.

the RS3's on 225 gives very solid steering feel when pushed to the limit and the grip.. now that's something to write home to your mom about! where before i would be squealing the heck out of the Michelins these were holding on for dear life and the poor girlfriend was having a really hard time trying to stay in her seat (not ready to splurge on a bucket seat for the passenger yet ). i had to push very hard to get them to break loose a bit. i was very impressed indeed at what a little more tire and grippier rubber does for the handling.

it feels more planted at speed as well and the steering is a tad heavier but in a good way. running 32psi front 34psi rear cold.

i am very happy with my purchase gents! thanks a lot for the input!
i can only imagine how it will handle with a more aggressive alignment which i'm hoping to get this week.
That is the same setup that I ran once upon a time and it worked very well! The alignment will only help that much more. It will be a blast on the track.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote