Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 802
Premature AOS failure?

Hi guys!

Two or three month ago I diagnosed a bad AOS on my car, not serious, but enough to trigger the check engine light.

I replace it with a "URO" AOS, it worked fine... until today.

I have to check fuel pressure and vacuum lines, but there's 99% chance that it's the AOS again, the CEL came on in the same conditions.

Otherwise, the car runs perfect, idle is good, it's got power, revs happily.

Long term fuel trim is at +1.6%
Code P1128 and P1130

My question is, do you think my cheapassery is the cause here? Or something else can cause the AOS to fail prematurely (I can't figure what would)?

Thanks!

Ben
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
2001 986 S, Manual, all black.
Ben006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,173
Garage
When I got those two exact codes it was because the hose from TB to AOS was not seated correctly on the TB side. Car always ran perfect with that condition. Once I reset the hose, no more codes.
They are codes that tend to point to a Vacuum leak.
Are you seeing any other symptoms, Smoke, High vacuum(oil filer cap hard to remove)? Can you hear any sore of vacuum leak
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey

Last edited by kk2002s; 05-02-2016 at 10:40 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post


My question is, do you think my cheapassery is the cause here? Or something else can cause the AOS to fail prematurely (I can't figure what would)?

Could very well be the case. The OEM AOS units have an inordinate level of failures, some literally right out of the box, so I would not be at all surprised to see an aftermarket unit crap out quickly.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S.California
Posts: 2,011
Sadly , URO have a poor reputation on the MB & BMW Forums. But since the Porsche branded AOS units are also unreliable -don't beat yourself up for trying URO.
As a diy proposition, buying from the dealer's Parts Dept. and trying to claim a defect a few months later is a dismal situation. Since it is also a horrid job , seems a better idea to give the task to your local Indie.He has way more leverage with a Parts Supplier than a mere diy person.
OTOH , invest in a Smoke Machine and locate a leak quickly? I bought one of the best 'paint can +baby oil' systems.Yes ,it sounds laughable but it works very well. I hate hunting vacuum leaks and these cars are the worst because of access and heat damaged/brittle plastics.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
When I got those two exact codes it was because the hose from TB to AOS was not seated correctly on the TB side. Car always ran perfect with that condition. Once I reset the hose, no more codes.
They are codes that tend to point to a Vacuum leak.
Are you seeing any other symptoms, Smoke, High vacuum(oil filer cap hard to remove)? Can you hear any sore of vacuum leak
I'll check everything else tomorrow in the shop at school
The PCV hose is "new" but could very well be the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Could very well be the case. The OEM AOS units have an inordinate level of failures, some literally right out of the box, so I would not be at all surprised to see an aftermarket unit crap out quickly.
Yes that's what I thought...
Before I replace it, the "old one" was a 18month old!But I don't think it was OEM either.

Thanks guys!
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
2001 986 S, Manual, all black.
Ben006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Sadly , URO have a poor reputation on the MB & BMW Forums. But since the Porsche branded AOS units are also unreliable -don't beat yourself up for trying URO.
As a diy proposition, buying from the dealer's Parts Dept. and trying to claim a defect a few months later is a dismal situation. Since it is also a horrid job , seems a better idea to give the task to your local Indie.He has way more leverage with a Parts Supplier than a mere diy person.
OTOH , invest in a Smoke Machine and locate a leak quickly? I bought one of the best 'paint can +baby oil' systems.Yes ,it sounds laughable but it works very well. I hate hunting vacuum leaks and these cars are the worst because of access and heat damaged/brittle plastics.
If I find it defective, it should still be under the 24 months warranty, so I'll just replace it.

The install isn't that bad if you have this:

It makes the job a 35min job
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
2001 986 S, Manual, all black.
Ben006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
I find the URO units missing parts all the time! Sometimes its the spring, other times its a diaphragm. I only use Mann, and even then they still fail early.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S.California
Posts: 2,011
The blue clip shown on the spring band clamp is made by Mubea:
Mubea - Products & Technologies - Industry - Products - Spring Band Clamps - Pre-opened Spring Band Clamp with Handy-Clip
But a Mayhew 28650 remote pliers set would be better - if you are a tool hound?
Pelican Parts.com - Spring Loaded Cable Hose Clamp Pliers
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 802
I got the AOS replaced...
now instead of throwing a code once every week, it does every day...

I'll check if everything is correctly installed but I guess I have another defective AOS... cool!

Next time I'll get an OEM, see if it makes things better.

Ben
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
2001 986 S, Manual, all black.
Ben006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S.California
Posts: 2,011
Ben,
Please let us know if you find a brand of AOS that works?
Since the AOS can not be dismantled easily ,we'll never know what the specific defect is in the URO brand AOS.
I have found Pelican to be very honorable about returns.
My suggestion is to ask Pedro who he buys from -he is near you?
PedrosGarage / Technolab South Florida firm dedicated to the Porsche Marque
Jake has a new product in development to solve this issue.
See the other current Thread on AOS -'More stupid AOS talk'.
" AOS units simply are not lasting these days. The latest run from Mann has proven to have issues, as I have experienced them several times in the last couple of months.

We've been testing a product for a while thats almost far enough along to pitch to distributors. If they accept it, the AOS problems will be over."
__________________

Last edited by Gelbster; 06-05-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page