Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:26 AM   #1

should new clutch smell?

I've just had a new clutch fitted (Sachs) and its making some smell.The most I smell it is when parking. Is it normal for a new clutch until it beds in?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:39 AM   #2

Some of them do give off an smell associated with the bonding agents used along with rivets to hold the lining material to the actual disc structure. It should go away after a couple hundred miles or so.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Some of them do give off an smell associated with the bonding agents used along with rivets to hold the lining material to the actual disc structure. It should go away after a couple hundred miles or so.
I spoke to my mechanic and that's what he told me. He said some clutches tend to smell a bit sometimes when they're still new. He said give it some time and it will go. I just hope im not damaging the clutch, driving whilst its smelling.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Garage
I just installed a used pressure plate in my 2001 and too am getting one heck of a smell. It seems to be getting better as i drive more, but never have experience this before on other cars...maybe its normal
986piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986piper View Post
I just installed a used pressure plate in my 2001 and too am getting one heck of a smell. It seems to be getting better as i drive more, but never have experience this before on other cars...maybe its normal
A used pressure plate?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
A used pressure plate?
Yep, means it was once in another car.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
any make? ..........
Old 04-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
I know what it means, what I don't understand is why, with all the work involved in changing it, did you choose to go with a used pressure plate? New ones are not all that expensive (I've seen entire clutch kits with the disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearings retailing for $300).
Old 04-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I know what it means, what I don't understand is why, with all the work involved in changing it, did you choose to go with a used pressure plate? New ones are not all that expensive (I've seen entire clutch kits with the disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearings retailing for $300).
I have everything new in mine,clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, fork, pivot ball, spring, guide tube....the lot!
My clutch pedal used to be really hard, now its sooooo soft, in fact I still have to get used to the correct biting point of the pedal. My concern is that i never had the clutch smell before and now that everything is new I'm having the smell. I'm hoping it will go away soon and not becomes worse
Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
MISTER24HOURS

Change that bad boy bro....
MISTER24HOURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #11

A used Pressure Plate ? Are you sure you don't mean DMF ? As others said , a new pressure plate is cheap and a bad/incorrect used Pressure Plate could cause lots of localized overheating problems during slow speed maneuvers like the parking you mentioned.
Using a GOOD used DMF would make some sense but a used PP - strange.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
A used Pressure Plate ? Are you sure you don't mean DMF ? As others said , a new pressure plate is cheap and a bad/incorrect used Pressure Plate could cause lots of localized overheating problems during slow speed maneuvers like the parking you mentioned.
Using a GOOD used DMF would make some sense but a used PP - strange.
My appolgies to the original poster, it seems my comment about a used PP has prompted more discussion than your original post.

The decision to put a used PP onto an engine was based on a lot of factors on my end, for those that must know why I did it, it was mainly because
-I also installed the matching DMF from my blown engine (ims failure)
-Condition of clutch was known, Condition of the new (used) replacement engine was not known, made no sense to me to go out and buy a new clutch without even knowing if the engine was good, more of a money saving step
-installed a new throughout bearing and pilot bearing
-I can remove a transmission in less than an hour on these cars so cost to put a new cutch in at a future date is no big deal, I enjoy the work.

I agree fully that installing a used pressure plate is not a great idea (generally speaking), but considering my circumstances and a limited budget, it was necessary to test the replacement engine out without dumping a ton more money into it. Now that I know all is good, I will start saving for a new clutch.

BTW, here in çanada, there is now such thing as a REASONABLY priced clutch kit for these cars

Piper
Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

What is this pressure plate thing and disc you speaketh of ?
Love my Tip point and shift.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Here, here. Long live the tip.

My legs are to long to peddle these cars around. The Tip is good training for a vehicle with a PDK trans in it.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #15

Garage
mine still smells with 50k on it when i'm backing up on the ramps to change the oil.
I try not to slip it very much
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
mine still smells with 50k on it when i'm backing up on the ramps to change the oil.
I try not to slip it very much
Yes that's the worst, when I'm backing up or going up a hill slowly. Hopefully it will go away after a while!