Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
Going to be doing this tonight. I have a new OEM Porsche seal ready to go, complete with blue inner ring intact.

My plan is to clean the crank OD and the case bore with rubbing alcohol, twice. But do I install the seal dry on the OUTER circumference as well? No clean engine oil to help slide it into place?
Bone dry & without any sealant

Old 03-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #22

No oil required because the PTFE is already slippery enough to fit ?
But you will need the correct tool to successfully fit the new seal.There are accounts of people trying to tap it in with just a hammer and a drift - they often don't go well.
Over on RennTech 986 Boxster tech forum(Not Rennlist!)there are details for a home-made pvc pipe tool to set the seal to the correct depth and square to the cranckase/halves. If you don't have the Porsche tool , I suggest you at least need the home made one.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
No oil required because the PTFE is already slippery enough to fit ?
But you will need the correct tool to successfully fit the new seal.There are accounts of people trying to tap it in with just a hammer and a drift - they often don't go well.
Over on RennTech 986 Boxster tech forum(Not Rennlist!)there are details for a home-made pvc pipe tool to set the seal to the correct depth and square to the cranckase/halves. If you don't have the Porsche tool , I suggest you at least need the home made one.
PTFE is self lubricating.

You can make a perfectly serviceable tool out of $4 CPVC pipe coupling and your old flywheel bolts that will install the seal correctly. This was written up here and on other sites more than once.

The biggest problem people encounter is that they do not research what they need to know about a project like this, and move ahead like a bull in a china shop, which can be a path to heartaches. Some shops even act this way; we had another shop blow the installation three times on one car before they called me. I went over and checked the case bore to make sure it was still round, and that it and the crank were clean and not damaged by all the attempts, and then installed a new seal in engine in about 10 min., and it only took that long because they kept asking questions as I did the install. That one worked perfectly.

The correct way to install this seal has been written up on multiple sites and in Excellence Magazine, so the information is out there.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #24

Photo of diy rms tool

https://picasaweb.google.com/108549308659117312361/Engine02#5703475138875495346
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #25

Nice, but over done for DIY. A simple 4" CPVC coupler and the old flywheel bolts are all that is really needed.