Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Owner

997 Shifter Upgrade - is the GT3 version worth the extra $150-$200

As Porsche owners an extra $150 should be petty - I've been looking at old threads and plan on upgrading my 98 Boxster with get the 997 shift console upgrade over the B&M Short Shifter. Does anyone have the GT3 Version ? Does it make a difference? My Boxster is my daily driver - Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories 997 Shift Console Upgrade

Per the part description -

New Option! - Looking for a race version of this part? We now have the GT3 version, it's identical, but plastic shift bushings are replaced with Billet Aluminum.

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

Yes they make a difference, as the even when brand new, the plastic bushings deform some under force, and also develop quite a substantial amount of slop with higher miles. I believe the solid gt3-style bushings do not only not deflect as much under force when new, but would also not develop such wear with higher miles on them.

If you are a DIY type, you can make your own gt3 style shift console from a plain-Jane 997 style console with the plastic bushes by installing the Phenix engineering bushing kit (cost $65):
https://phenixengineering.com/shop/porsche-997-gt3-style-billet-shift-bushing-kit/

I've got the phenix engineering bushings and am just about done completing an installation in a low miles standard 997-style shift console. Might post some pics and more substantial review later. Coming off the car is a very worn out 986 style shift console. With about 110k miles, the plastic bushings were quite sloppy and this resulted in noticeable side-to-side play in the shift knob.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
IronDeadPool

This is amazing info...... Thanks! Time to start looking around for a 997 shift comsole

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Owner

Thank you Jakeru and thank you for the link -

I will definitely order the Phenix engineering bushing kit when I decide to take the plunge.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #5

There is an alternative offered by Forum Member "Ben006" - a ball bearing shifter to reduce the plastic issues.
Ball bearing short shifter !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I have installed the 997 standard (non GT-3) shifter AND replaced the shifter cables in my Spec Boxster and I like the somewhat shorter throws and it works great. I would say that the shifter cables made a huge difference, but still often wish that it was more precise.

The Phenix upgrade looks like a good deal compared to the huge price premium that the Porsche GT-3 shifter carries.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #7

Encourage you to explore the Numeric Racing shifter mechanism-- as a GT3 owner- wasn't happy with the shifter- but love how the Numeric Racing setup feels
l8_apexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8_apexer View Post
Encourage you to explore the Numeric Racing shifter mechanism-- as a GT3 owner- wasn't happy with the shifter- but love how the Numeric Racing setup feels
Thanks for the suggestion...I deffinately will do my research.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #9

Great topic, glad I found it. To the same group, I have a 99 Boxster 2.5L 986 5speed manual, FVD performance software done, IMS retro done, K&N air filter, FabSpeed sport headers, FabSpeed Maxflo exhaust.... huge performance gains from stock, drives great, still has standard shifter setup, would you recommend upgrading to short shift? One of PelicanParts "recommended" upgrades: If so, would you go with Porsche OEM @ $500+ or something like B&M for around $320? Lastly, with upgrade would look to change to shorter shift knob also, any suggestions there? thanks,
996 74mm throttle body, 996 IPD Plenum
jsg1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg1206 View Post
Great topic, glad I found it. To the same group, I have a 99 Boxster 2.5L 986 5speed manual, FVD performance software done, IMS retro done, K&N air filter, FabSpeed sport headers, FabSpeed Maxflo exhaust.... huge performance gains from stock, drives great, still has standard shifter setup, would you recommend upgrading to short shift? One of PelicanParts "recommended" upgrades: If so, would you go with Porsche OEM @ $500+ or something like B&M for around $320? Lastly, with upgrade would look to change to shorter shift knob also, any suggestions there? thanks,
Upon doing my own research I am leaning towards the 997 GT3 shifter upgrade. I'm finding too many comments on short shifters being too stiff. Numeric shifter is a little out of my price range at the moment. I would rather put the funds towards the Pedro exhaust mod which i may have done in the future. Cause I'm anal if I went the short shifter route I would go with Porsche vs after market.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8_apexer View Post
I went from the stock 986 shifter to the 987 shifter then to the Numeric shifter and Numeric cables. I believe I am at the peak now. Very pleased with the Numeric.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Owner

Decided to go with Ball Bearing Shirt Shifter since Ben006 opened up another group order.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Gelbster said:
"There is an alternative offered by Forum Member "Ben006" - a ball bearing shifter to reduce the plastic issues."
Benitom - Glad you are supporting a fellow 986 Forum member.
Let us know how the installation goes?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Gelbster said:
"There is an alternative offered by Forum Member "Ben006" - a ball bearing shifter to reduce the plastic issues."
Thanks for the suggestion - after reading the entire thread from Ben006 the stiffness is not necessarily a bad thing
Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #15

Next project check motor and trans mounts ?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Gelbster said:
Finally installed the Ben006 ball bearing short shifter. Very happy with the results so far. Haven't taken it out for a drive I plan on going out this evening. Installation was fairly easy but with nuances - I used the 101 Boxster Project Guides Book for installation instructions. The hardest part for me was removing the small side leather panels, they are very tight need to use some force to pull them out. The third screw in the center console storage compartment was difficult to find. Maybe Porsche hid it for kicks and giggles. And of course the original shifter took the longest to remove. I used a dremel to shave down the plastic and a flat head screw driver to push it out. The one major suggestion I have is purchasing a new Shift linkage Coupling, mine was fairly worn. I ordered a new one from parts geek. I left some of the small panels off so I can remove the center console quickly when the new Shift linkage Coupling arrives. If it wasn't for the original shifter being so difficult to remove from the housing, installation would only take about an hour. I should have just pulled out my small hand saw and cut the plastic. I was so determined to remove it I should have worked smarter and not harder. :dance:
Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #17

What we need now is an alternative to the Numeric Shifter cable upgrade. For those of us with older/low value cars, the Numeric prices are just unreal. I am sure they are wonderful and all but just unrealistic for me.
I spent some time looking trough what Aircraft Spruce have for pre-stretched aircraft control cables .
CONTROL CABLE from Aircraft Spruce
Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #18

Garage
While replacing my clutch in the last week, I replaced the shifter and cable with items purchased from a dismantler. The shifter was one of the Blue aluminum pivot type updated in a stock frame. The ones you see allot on Ebay. It is very tight shift in about 1/3 less space feels solid. $100 for the shifter $75 for low mileage cables. There's allot of good low cost item out there if you look. Ebay vendor Qualityporscheparts I use allot and have never got a bad deal or bad part.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote