Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #21

It was good to see you yesterday Matt! Thanks for your info on the wiring. Saved me bunch of hours of searching...:-) Am expecting the tips on the rack side from Woody today. We'll see if we can have some 6AN tips welded on those...

PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #22
pjq

PorscheFan5, great project you have on the go.
I see on another thread, your working on a switched power supply for the steering pump, what about your brakes how are you going to make those work?
Also AC, it appears your going to maintain the AC doesn't that take a lot of juice to run thereby reducing your travel distance?
What about the 5 battery compartments and motor, how does their total added weight compare with the total weight loss of the engine, exhaust, coolant and fuel systems?
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
PorscheFan5, great project you have on the go.
I see on another thread, your working on a switched power supply for the steering pump, what about your brakes how are you going to make those work?
Also AC, it appears your going to maintain the AC doesn't that take a lot of juice to run thereby reducing your travel distance?
What about the 5 battery compartments and motor, how does their total added weight compare with the total weight loss of the engine, exhaust, coolant and fuel systems?
Hi PJQ,

Thanks. I need to spend more time and get it completed now...
I am going to use a GAST vaccum pump for the brakes. Have already found a nice place in a small cubby on the driver side in the Engine bay. I will run the same also from 12vSw. See pics attached.
I am not going to run the AC too much here in Nor Cal. So I just kept it off of the DC motor. Don't know exactly how much of a effect it will have on my range overall, but hopefully it wont be much while AC is not ON.
Overall my goal is to come close to stock gross weight with fuel tank full. We shall see how it turns out...I have thought of space for future if I want to change the controller and add more range by adding batteries. I will most likely put them where the Exhaust system used to be or worst case the rear trunk.

Hope that answers your questions. Did you get a chance to check out the WIP website? I have yet to upload a bunch of sections that I have worked on but the dismantling, PS etc. sections are uploaded...Enjoy!

Project website (WIP): boxsterev

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 03-28-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #24
pjq

Yes already checked out the WIP website.
I'm helping a neighbor with an 1994 RX7 EV conversion so its interesting to see how your dealing with it in a Boxster.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #25

Here are some pics for the custom bracker I made for running the AC compressor directly from the DC motor. Had to design it such that it was slightly adjustable to allow tightening of the belt and get a custom belt of the right size...Hope that helps someone...Still need to figure out the electrical connection for the compressor which was part of the engine harness...

Old 02-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFan5 View Post
Here are some pics for the custom bracker I made for running the AC compressor directly from the DC motor. Had to design it such that it was slightly adjustable to allow tightening of the belt and get a custom belt of the right size...Hope that helps someone...Still need to figure out the electrical connection for the compressor which was part of the engine harness...

Hey I know this is a long dead thread but what was the end result? I hope you healed up from the welding burns!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk