Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

suspension rebuilt options?

Hello there,

Lately, there has been some comments of people that are replacing the control arms because they were creating clanking noises.

My car does not have any noises (yet..) but the front suspension does not longer feels very tight and I wander if someone has used the Elephant rubber bushing replacements (inner and central bushings) for the lower control arms:

Elephant Racing | Rubber Suspension Bushings | Porsche Boxster/Cayman

And also for the caster control arms:
Elephant Racing | OEM Control Arms and Links | Porsche Boxster/Caymen

According to the Elephant website, their Sport Hardness Bushings are between the soft OEM and their hardest spherical bearings (mostly used for track use).

Hopefully someone has tried these and are willing to share their comments, thank you!

PS: My car has 87K miles

Last edited by Gilles; 11-05-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #2

Garage
I'll be watching this thread. Been putting off suspension refresh for a while. Probably gonna do struts and springs, some control arms, drop links, and rear wheel bearings. Also interested to see what others have to say.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Gilles,
Interesting find. Someone should write up a DIY project on this. I wonder if a generic bushing removal/refit kit could be used to replace the bushings? elephant list a special/specific tool for $75 but I prefer a more adaptable tool -to justify the cost.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Gelbster,

Originally I was planning to replace the caster control arms like everybody is doing.

But I saw these bushings at the Elephant booth at Rennstone reunion and it seems to be a good compromise to get a slightly stiffer suspension without going to the all out spherical bushings (don't have any experience with them), except with the Rennsport rear toe control arms with the bump steer extensions.

But I have the feeling that the spherical bushings will be a lot harsher than the OEM rubber bushings and also they will wear a lot quicker on a daily driver (and they are not cheap)..

And I feel that the Elephant bushings could be a good compliment for the KW-V3's, I noticed that Elephant also offers to install them for you if you send them all the control/caster arms (but don't know how much..)

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote