Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

front engine mount

I want to change my front engine mount, and when I was doing some research,I found rubber inserts that go inside the original mount. Theyre meant to give a smoother response whilst changing gear. it says it could be used for street and track. I don't track the car, so my concern would be,if the car will vibrate too much with them for street driving. I don't want to spoil the ride, but on the other hand I welcome smoother gear changes! anyone has any idea about these inserts please?

Attached Images

Last edited by boxster; 10-21-2015 at 09:22 PM.
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

Track good, street not so much

I was in your shoes a month ago - I tried the inserts and could not stand the vibration! The shifting was insanely smooth once rolling, worked great at a track day but when idling at a stop, the vibration was unbearable. I had things rattling that I have never heard rattle.

If it is a track car, I would go for it but in my case, I opted to just use new stock side rubber pieces on a new (upgraded) motor mount.
brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerbry View Post
I was in your shoes a month ago - I tried the inserts and could not stand the vibration! The shifting was insanely smooth once rolling, worked great at a track day but when idling at a stop, the vibration was unbearable. I had things rattling that I have never heard rattle.

If it is a track car, I would go for it but in my case, I opted to just use new stock side rubber pieces on a new (upgraded) motor mount.
Thanks for your answer,thats really helpful. Yes I'm getting the newer style 987 mount,so that by itself should help. There's also a yellow version of the inserts from Function First Performance,the yellow rubber is meant to be less stiff,but still I think it might give vibration. I like having a "sporty" car,but since I dont track it, I certainly don't want the ride to be uncomfortable.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #4

Go with the 987 mount and the side dampers for the 987 mount and everything will be OK.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Unless you can withstand a LOT of vibration, only use the stock rubber mounts. Anything stiffer will transmit a surprisingly high amount of vibration.

I don't even use a solid or semi-solid engine mount on my Spec Boxster race car because of the high vibration level.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-23-2015 at 12:05 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I'll use a 987 mount and that by itself should be an improvement,but I don't want to ruin the ride,after all I don't track the car,I use it on the streets so I don't want too much vibration!
Old 10-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #7

Garage
I had a Wevo semi solid front mount and decided to go back to the 987 OEM mount and boy what a difference in NVH.