Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
What else do I need to complete an M030 suspension?

About a year ago, I purchased a set of struts and springs from a guy who had removed them from his 2004 Boxster S when he installed a full aftermarket suspension. He had the paperwork that showed they had been pulled from his car with less than 5000 miles. His Boxster S had the M030 option.

So, I'm installing all four struts and springs, and at the same time doing all new control arms, drop links, tie rods etc. Pretty much everything.

So, one of the last things I need to buy are front sway bar bushings, I'm cruising eBay to see if anyone has a deal, and I stumble upon someone selling a M030 front sway bar. I do a buy it now, and then buy some fresh new bushings to go with it.

So, what else am I missing at this point to have, for all intents and purposes, a full M030 suspension? Rear sway, right? Anything else?

While I'm doing all this suspension work, I'm also rebooting and repacking all the CV joints. I had two boots with minor tears, so that will all be good to go. Also adding new slotted rotors and new disc pads, along with braided stainless brake lines.

It's going to feel like a new car by the time I finish, or at least I'm hoping it does!! I'm removing all original parts, and that means they have 128K on them.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Garage
I am exactly in the same process: used M030 struts and springs, wishbones, control arms, tie rods... Not swapping the sway bars though.
Are you doing the work yourself or you're having a shop do it for you? I am dropping my car Monday morning, pick it up Tuesday afternoon.

Edit: Car has 126k miles...
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
About a year ago, I purchased a set of struts and springs from a guy who had removed them from his 2004 Boxster S when he installed a full aftermarket suspension. He had the paperwork that showed they had been pulled from his car with less than 5000 miles. His Boxster S had the M030 option.

So, I'm installing all four struts and springs, and at the same time doing all new control arms, drop links, tie rods etc. Pretty much everything.

So, one of the last things I need to buy are front sway bar bushings, I'm cruising eBay to see if anyone has a deal, and I stumble upon someone selling a M030 front sway bar. I do a buy it now, and then buy some fresh new bushings to go with it.

So, what else am I missing at this point to have, for all intents and purposes, a full M030 suspension? Rear sway, right? Anything else?

While I'm doing all this suspension work, I'm also rebooting and repacking all the CV joints. I had two boots with minor tears, so that will all be good to go. Also adding new slotted rotors and new disc pads, along with braided stainless brake lines.

It's going to feel like a new car by the time I finish, or at least I'm hoping it does!! I'm removing all original parts, and that means they have 128K on them.
Find a rear sway to get the car to rotate more easily and take a nice set in mid corner. Fresh bushings are pretty cheap and important, check your drop links and replace if worn.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #4

Garage
M030 suspension has larger diameter front and rear sway bars and new bushings so to complete what you have you will need those items. The M030 suspension also has its own alignment specs and if you don't have them pm me and I'll send them.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
All control arms, droplinks, track bars, and tie rods are being replaced. Are you guys saying THOSE parts are M030 specific? If so, then I'm going to come up short of being full M030. I knew the sway bar bushings would be M030 specific, since the bars are different sizes, so those are going to be M030 correct parts.

EJ-Fresno, I'm doing the work myself. I have the luxury of the Boxster being a third vehicle (technically, fourth if I count the motorcycle), so it's no big deal that it has been up on jack stands for a few weeks now. I only get to do an hour or so at a time on it, a couple of times a week, so it's taking me forever. I have completely finished the driver's rear, now working on the passenger rear. I've learned all the gotchas now, so the other corners will go a lot faster.

I'll be on the lookout for a rear bar.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
All control arms, droplinks, track bars, and tie rods are being replaced. Are you guys saying THOSE parts are M030 specific? If so, then I'm going to come up short of being full M030. I knew the sway bar bushings would be M030 specific, since the bars are different sizes, so those are going to be M030 correct parts.

EJ-Fresno, I'm doing the work myself. I have the luxury of the Boxster being a third vehicle (technically, fourth if I count the motorcycle), so it's no big deal that it has been up on jack stands for a few weeks now. I only get to do an hour or so at a time on it, a couple of times a week, so it's taking me forever. I have completely finished the driver's rear, now working on the passenger rear. I've learned all the gotchas now, so the other corners will go a lot faster.

I'll be on the lookout for a rear bar.
The M030 Sport Suspension kit consists of new springs, shocks and front and rear sway bar with bushings. The rest of the components you are installing are probably S suspension components that will be an upgrade but are not a part of the M030 kit.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Cool. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
M030 suspension has larger diameter front and rear sway bars and new bushings so to complete what you have you will need those items. The M030 suspension also has its own alignment specs and if you don't have them pm me and I'll send them.
Are the specs the same for NA and ROW M030?
If yes, can you please PM them? I am installing a NA M030 kit next week and would like the right alignment.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #9

ROW spec sheet.

Front Camber per side: -0*45' to 0*15'
Front Toe per side: 0*0' to 0*05'
Front cross camber: -0*20' to 0*20'
Front total toe: 0*00' to 0*10'

Rear Camber per side: -2*00' to -1*00'
Rear Toe per side: 0*0' to 0*10'
Rear cross camber: -0*20' to 0*20'
Rear total toe: -0*10' to 0*10'
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by navair View Post
ROW spec sheet.

Front Camber per side: -0*45' to 0*15'
Front Toe per side: 0*0' to 0*05'
Front cross camber: -0*20' to 0*20'
Front total toe: 0*00' to 0*10'

Rear Camber per side: -2*00' to -1*00'
Rear Toe per side: 0*0' to 0*10'
Rear cross camber: -0*20' to 0*20'
Rear total toe: -0*10' to 0*10'
Are those the same for the NA M030?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

Garage
It depends on whether you installed ROW M030 or ROW M030 Sport. If you pm me I'll send you the pdf file that lists the correct way to set the alignment and the specs for the different ROW suspensions. They will not copy and paste correctly here.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Does anyone have the list of part numbers for the US M030 option, by chance? S friend told me it's out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Thanks!
silver-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
Does anyone have the list of part numbers for the US M030 option, by chance? S friend told me it's out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Thanks!
Check with Suncoast that is where I got mine. You may have to call them.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
2002 Boxster S

Garage
M030 parts list (haven't verified this yet -- I've been looking into getting the upgrade myself).

CB-Racing, 986 Suspension Info