Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Brake Pad Rattle..or is it dominoes?

Car is a 2000 2.7...When I drive over bumpy ground the front of the car sounds like a box of dominoes, if I slightly touch the brake pedal the noise stops (then returns when I stop braking) I assumed I had aftermarket pads in there & were a slightly different shape or the caliper pad springs were worn, but no, I now have genuine Porsche pads in (Brembo) & new springs & pin kit (also genuine)....didn't make any difference, it still rattles?? I know on a Boxster S the front pads have anti rattle shims that go inside the pistons but they aren't available for a 2.7 (but it appears they mite fit??) or could something else be causing the noise and stops under braking? I've also tried EBC back tape..waste of time. It aint as bad when cold but after 10 mins or so its terrible, has no effect on the braking though..ANY HELP...I WILL try it

stevensred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/58161-rattle.html

I would assume it is most likely the trailing arms. The noise stopping when you press the brakes is probably just an artifact of some shifting of force in the rear when the pads bite, keeping the arms from rattling.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailing arms being the 'Tuning forks' or 'coffin arms' ?
18's
Hard-Top
stevensred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

Garage
I think the alternate names you mentioned are correct to the part I am describing.

There are plenty of rattle-y options. My point in my previous post was that if it was in the braking system, you would likely feel it in your foot/have some kind of reduced braking ability. Since that is not true, the brakes are likely stopping the rattle in a different way - by shifting weight, or whathaveyou.

My first guess was the trailing arms, since they attach to the rear wheel hub where your brakes are also attached.

Could it be that the sound goes away because you slow down enough for the rattle to stop (as opposed to the sound stopping because pads are pressing against rotors)?

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote