Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Garage
S muffler on 98 base?

I have searched this forum but can't seem to find the answer, or maybe there isn't one. So I have a few questions and could really use some help. I have a 98 Base with the (as I have just discovered) not very flattering exhaust tip. So I understand the 03 S muffler may be an improvement in both looks and sound. So my questions are, Is there an adapter available for the different mount on the muffler? Are the C pipes the same diameter so this would be a simple bolt on? Someone out there must have done this. Any help is much appreciated.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

I looked into this a long time ago for my 1997 and ended up buying a Top Speed twin chamber twin tailpipe muffler and it sounds amazing. If you search the threads here you'll find upgraded clamps that are said to eliminate the cabin drone. Not sure if it will really eliminate it, but if it drops a lot of the drone out of the exhaust you're home free.

The Top Speed unit sounds glorious at wide open throttle. Seriously.

AND, it's half the weight of a factory Porsche muffler and operates a LOT cooler. My factory muffler heated up the back trunk on long trips and my tennis shoe melted into the laces tucked under the bottom of the shoe! The factory ones must be packed with material or baffles and they build up a lot of heat.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I looked into this a long time ago for my 1997 and ended up buying a Top Speed twin chamber twin tailpipe muffler and it sounds amazing. If you search the threads here you'll find upgraded clamps that are said to eliminate the cabin drone. Not sure if it will really eliminate it, but if it drops a lot of the drone out of the exhaust you're home free.

The Top Speed unit sounds glorious at wide open throttle. Seriously.

AND, it's half the weight of a factory Porsche muffler and operates a LOT cooler. My factory muffler heated up the back trunk on long trips and my tennis shoe melted into the laces tucked under the bottom of the shoe! The factory ones must be packed with material or baffles and they build up a lot of heat.
HAHA! I think yours was the first thread I found in my search! You were looking for a 2.5 muffler specifically, thread died after mention of Fabspeed sources. I wondered how that turned out...Guess I know now LOL!.
I know what you mean by the stock muffler getting hot, but I understand the internal baffling was changed in 03 for the S with better tone and lighter weight. I may have to go with aftermarket but with Kalifornia laws and such and since I hate drone, I'm thinking I might attempt this mod first, then if no go I may alter course. There was one thread that had an adapter referenced, but that link is no longer active. Thanks for the input on the Top Speed though, gives food for thought.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

I keep forgetting you Cali guys can't do what you like to your cars or you won't pass a smog test.

Out here in Texas we do as we please for the most part and have the smog to prove it!!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Garage
I think it's a straight forward assembly, the C-pipes and mufflers being the same for 99 and 03.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
I think it's a straight forward assembly, the C-pipes and mufflers being the same for 99 and 03.
Thanks EJ I think you are right concerning C pipes. However MY 97-99 have a different hanger than MY 00-04 and require a hanger adapter part no. 000 044 200 11 that was developed for PSE. I am looking for that adapter and the MY 03 or 04 S muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I keep forgetting you Cali guys can't do what you like to your cars or you won't pass a smog test.

Out here in Texas we do as we please for the most part and have the smog to prove it!!!!
Modding cars here has become really stupid since the laws change year to year! Really hate the CARB 49 State legal stuff cause Cali isn't one of them!!! Even Smog test changed this year 2000 and newer is computer interrogation but prior is still sniff.
But we do have great roads! Nacimiento Ferguson to Hwy 1 is one of my regular routes!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Garage
I've been doing some research but I'll need some help from experts now. I found a thread where Tool Pants refers to an adapter PN 000 044 200 11. In his response there appears to be a picture of the adapter which apparently is a kit. Any way to find what PN's are in this kit. The adapter appears to be the same as the ebay bracket in bottom photo. The two parts diagrams are for the -99 (lower pic) and the 00- (top pic) the 5 speed adapter #6 on the -99 and #8 on 00- diagrams are the same PN. Does this indicate the same bolt pattern on the 5 speed trans for all years? And if this is the case will the ebay mount PN 996 111 226 02 same PN as the 02 diagram, work on my 98 to hang the 03 S muffler on?

Last edited by 911monty; 07-09-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-10-2015, 03:30 AM   #8
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
You can just drill some new holes in the hanger plate on the S muffler. Then use new bolts to attach in the same place the old muffler was. You will also have to cut off the old bolts on the S muffler hanger. I have done this and it wasn't too much trouble. The hardest part is figuring where to drill the new holes so the muffler is centered. But since you can't see the hanger bracket when the bumper cover is on you can screw up a few times and it won't matter.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #9

Garage
Where in cali are you? I just replaced the muffler on my 03 S it's in great shape. Maybe we work something out. I'm in San Jose. PM me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Where in cali are you? I just replaced the muffler on my 03 S it's in great shape. Maybe we work something out. I'm in San Jose. PM me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
I'm 3 hrs South in Paso Robles. I'll PM you. Oh and I am not selling amber headlights on CL for $750.00
Old 07-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

Here's a 2003 5 speed vs a 1997 5 speed

Some mufflers

I believe the piece in the middle is all you will need?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #12

Garage
Yes Sir! Thanks for the reply with pictures! This should certainly help anyone else considering this mod. Please send me pm with your info on payment! I will update thread once I install. Thanks you are the Best!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
1998 Boxster Owner

Excuse my ignorance - I live in Cali and not up to speed on smog laws - per the comments in this thread I can't swap out the exhaust on my 98 Boxster?
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benitom View Post
Excuse my ignorance - I live in Cali and not up to speed on smog laws - per the comments in this thread I can't swap out the exhaust on my 98 Boxster?
You can, not a problem. You can't legally remove the cats though.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
You can, not a problem. You can't legally remove the cats though.
Thanks for the clarification...
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #16

Garage
03 S muffler installed

Well I said I'd follow up so here goes. Thanks to Woody for the brackets and expertise and to Amagalla for the 03 S muffler this mod was easy. Parts came in this morning so put car on ramps and PB blasted the exhaust clamps to soak while I prepped parts. Left bumper cover on and removed old muffler. Getting Clamps loose enough to slide was definitely the hardest part. Bolted on the new bracket from Woody.

Bolted in the new 03 S muffler. New Part fit is perfect and is complete factory look.

Installed all clamps leveled and tightened all hardware. This is the new look.:dance:

Started engine and discovered that there is indeed a difference in sound! The idle is now a nice deep gurgle and has a bit of a bark to about 3000 RPM. No doubt I picked up at least 20 smiles! I am very happy with the sound. And no drone! Now for an unexpected plus. I have had an annoying rattle when traveling over bumpy roads at the 30 mph range. I was beginning to think maybe replacing track arms but I was not convinced this was causing the noise. When I dropped out the old muffler there was clearly something rolling around in there. Sounds like a rock or a nut. Perhaps somebody playing trick on PO? Anyway annoying rattle is gone. Really happy I did this.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #17

Looks good
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Awesome job!! Looks perfect
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #19

Garage
Glad to see my muffler lives on to bring more smiles. Yea, Recycling!

Tony
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Glad to see my muffler lives on to bring more smiles. Yea, Recycling!

Tony
Looks good and sounds even better! Polished up and looks new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Awesome job!! Looks perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Looks good
Thanks Guys!