Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
AOS Delete

As anyone deleted there AOS, ie blanked off the throttle body and run a pipe from the top of the AOS to a catchment tank/can.

l replaced my startermotor a few weeks ago and found a fair bit of oil in the pipe
between the throttle body and AOS, but i wasn't getting any smoke bombs while
running just the odd puff of blue smoke if reved hard at standstill and when the wife
followed me it did smoke a little but nothing major

Anyway clean out the pipework fitted a new AOS done 300 miles just checked
the pipe and there oil in there again.

Have seen posts on here where a guy had 3 duff one's straight from the box think
it was one of jake's post.

So has anyone deleted theres, if so has there been any performance loss
with the crankcase not being under vacuum
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
What year is your car?
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
What year is your car?
1998 with a 3.4 996 motor
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
What year is the motor?
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
I have stuff to do. Check this if it corresponds to your engine.

Crankcase Ventilation Valve

In some cases the ventilation valve on the valve cover that connects the crankcase to the oil seperator becomes clogged, and may cause problems for the oil seperator. If your newly replaced oil seperator is starting to fail, or you are about to install a new seperator, you might consider replaceing the ventilation valve.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 996-107-047-51-M100
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
I've seen that valve its on bank 4 to 6 AOS pipe did wonder what it was, can it be cleaned
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #7
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,277
Piston ring tension is affected IIRC. You don't want that
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
As anyone deleted there AOS, ie blanked off the throttle body and run a pipe from the top of the AOS to a catchment tank/can.

l replaced my startermotor a few weeks ago and found a fair bit of oil in the pipe
between the throttle body and AOS, but i wasn't getting any smoke bombs while
running just the odd puff of blue smoke if reved hard at standstill and when the wife
followed me it did smoke a little but nothing major

Anyway clean out the pipework fitted a new AOS done 300 miles just checked
the pipe and there oil in there again.

Have seen posts on here where a guy had 3 duff one's straight from the box think
it was one of jake's post.

So has anyone deleted theres, if so has there been any performance loss
with the crankcase not being under vacuum

The low tension piston rings rely on the crankcase vacuum to help seal the rings, eliminating that vacuum increases blow-by. If the AOS is disconnected from the vacuum source no oil will come out the top of the AOS.
__________________
2000 S Speed YellowLN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. NHP sport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
The low tension piston rings rely on the crankcase vacuum to help seal the rings, eliminating that vacuum increases blow-by. If the AOS is disconnected from the vacuum source no oil will come out the top of the AOS.
Along with blow by and he loss of effectiveness for the low tension rings used in these engines, not having vacuum in the case sump will lead to increased water and fuel level build up in the oil as the low vacuum level created by the AOS helps to flash them off at lower temperatures. This will very quickly degrade any oil.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Cheers for the replys lads, looks like I'll give that one a miss
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,230
good reading

^^^
+ 1

Very interesting comments from BY and JFP
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
Cheers for the replys lads, looks like I'll give that one a miss
A catch can needs to be plumbed inline between intake plenum & AOS.
__________________
2000 S Speed YellowLN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. NHP sport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Something like this then.

BRUSHED ALUMINIUM OIL CATCH CAN BREATHER TANK RESERVOIR WITH 19mm 3/4" OD BARB | eBay

Should be enough room near the side intake fan to install
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #14
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
Or something like this

OK, here's where everyone tells me I'm killing my engine. I've run this for 3-4 years now and 25,000+ miles. So far so good. I think I did it as much to try an alternative solution as I did for a cheap easy fix. But it's just a race car, so what the hey. I would not do this to my everyday driver.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #15
38D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Or something like this

OK, here's where everyone tells me I'm killing my engine. I've run this for 3-4 years now and 25,000+ miles. So far so good. I think I did it as much to try an alternative solution as I did for a cheap easy fix. But it's just a race car, so what the hey. I would not do this to my everyday driver.
Can you elaborate on how you've plumbed this in? I am looking to delete the AOS on my 986 racer (which is getting ITBs, so no real good source to hook up the AOS vaccuum line).
38D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
My "piggyback" AOS is plumbed in between the facatory AOS and the intake. I removed the plastic tube, threaded the AOS and the intake "T", adding brass hose fittings. I then mounted the piggyback AOS in the trunk and ran fuel line to connect it to both brass hose fittings.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page