Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
Jed

2002 S not going into 1st intermittently

I just bought a 2002 Boxster S with 140k miles on it. From a dead stop, shifting into 1st carefully, half the time it is not actually in gear and grinds horribly. Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions? It engages beautifully in all other gears and purrs like a kitten. When it is engaged in 1st, it will start even uphill without popping out.
Any advice is much appreciated!

jedjustjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

The selection of gears is a cable operation.You'll need to inspect from underneath at the passenger side of the gearbox to check for lost motion. It helps to have an assistant to operate the gear lever from inside while you watch the motion on the side of the gearbox..
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

5-speed? There's an adjuster on there that needs to be set right between the two shift levers.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

If a 6 speed, check it does not 'pop out' of 2nd .
Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Jed

Thanks for the input. It is a 6 speed. I played with the cable adjustment by the shifter (inside the car) with no success. I will check out the other side, as I have it up on stands at the moment. I'm going to change the tranny fluid, since the previous owner said he didn't when he put in a new clutch...
And it does not pop out of 2nd. It doesn't pop out of first, either, once it's in. It just doesn't always go in.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #6

A couple of pointer before you change the fluid:
1) You will have to remove the 2 x cross braces and the triangulated chassis brace to get to the drain plug.
2) Remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug.
3) For the very best results, only use the Porsche transmission fluid for the 6 speed box - use the search function for an hour of explanatory / fun / disagreeing reading.
4) When you have drained the old oil, let it settle and see I there is a gold or copper coloured tinge on top of the oil - possible syncho wear causing your problem.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Smart move to change the fluid. But read up on which fluid. It is almost as bad as the IMSB story!!
Great that it does not pop out of second. It will -unless you install a gizmo to prevent it. And once it starts there is no solution -just a very expensive rebuild. Ask me how I know...I now have 2 gearboxes - both in bits!
The Pop out detent is well known so search for more info on this Forum.
There are two sellers I know of ,Gbox and Raceline. Eric at Raceline often comments here to help out Forum members.
https://www.facebook.com/theraceline77
But please note this caveat from GBox:
"The upgraded detent will not fix a pop out problem if there is already internal damage to the gearbox, but it may certainly help prevent it. We install it in all of our rebuilds, and we have yet to see a 'pop-out' problem return after the installation of this part"
I hope this helps you.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Jed

Thanks again. I'm all set up to change the fluid. You would think that metal cover and the aluminum supports would just fall off after you get the bolts off. I hate to admit I resorted to a crow bar.
I noticed the transmission mounts were leaking, so, much to the chagrin of my wife (who really wants to be driving it) I am going to order new mounts and a new engine mount. Maybe (oh, please) that and new fluid will solve the problem.
Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd gear issue. I will check into that while I'm at it!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

Jed,
I just noticed you are in Boulder - you are almost neighbors with Erik at Raceline ! Stop fiddling and just take it to him? He will have the correct oil for you.
If you insist on diy, there is one test you should do before you replace the drain plug.It is filthy but worth it. Stick the longest finger you have that will fit the hole inside the gearbox and bend it down to rub around the bottom of the gearbox. You should be able to find a magnet.Rub the magnet and withdraw your finger and examine it.Yes I know... If your finger is covered in slightly sticky,slimy grey oily grease, you need new bearings.If it is just oily ,no problem - yet.
Yup -it is the same stupid 'sealed' bearing idea as the infamous IMSB and the seals eventually fail.Since the bearing gets very little oil by splash ,it will wear rapidly once the grease flows out.
Post a photo at your attempt at gearbox proctology and we'll give you a verdict?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
Jed

I just ordered the mounts and the OEM (should be OMG - $40/qt!) fluid, so I'm feeling committed to give it a DIY go. If I still have the problem (or create some new ones) I will definitely look him up.
I will stick my finger in and see what I come up with. Can't be any worse than checking a diaper... (luckily a distant memory - but don't stick your thumb in when the plane is about to take off!)
Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
Jed

I don't think I found the magnet, but I ran my finger along the bottom (through the drain hole) and came up with some black and copper/gold colored particles.
There was a little black sludge on the drain plug.
There is no copper tinge on top of the oil in the drain pan.
The oil and transmission mounts (and engine mount) should arrive Wednesday. So hopefully Thursday will be the test drive (and Friday I'll be contacting Erik about a rebuild).
Hopefully kidding on that one.

Here are some photos. Copper speckles are residue after I drained the drain pan into a container. There are some on the fingers, but just a dark sludge on the plug...
Attached Images

Last edited by jedjustjed; 05-17-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add photos