Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

How to test Variocam Solenoid Valves

Ive got misfire codes for bank 4 to 6 and lumply idle, had look on the web and posts link to possible variocam failure.
Is there anyway of testing the variocam solenoids while the engine is in the car, ive tested the connectors to both solenoids and theres 12v there with the ignition on.
So with them both disconnected i started the engine and while ticking over i reconnected each one and in both cases there was no change in the engines tick over note, is this right.
Also with the engine off and ignition on should i be able to hear any clicking noise
when i reconnect the solenoids.
My plugs are new and coil packs less than a year old and i don't have a Durametric

whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecliffs View Post
Ive got misfire codes for bank 4 to 6 and lumply idle, had look on the web and posts link to possible variocam failure.
Is there anyway of testing the variocam solenoids while the engine is in the car, ive tested the connectors to both solenoids and theres 12v there with the ignition on.
So with them both disconnected i started the engine and while ticking over i reconnected each one and in both cases there was no change in the engines tick over note, is this right.
Also with the engine off and ignition on should i be able to hear any clicking noise
when i reconnect the solenoids.
My plugs are new and coil packs less than a year old and i don't have a Durametric
Durametric, PST II, or PIWIS will do it.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

I think the variocams don't kick in until some rpm which I don't recall, maybe around 3500?

Testing at idle will not trigger them and at 3500 you will not be able to hear the solenoid. You will need a diagnostic tool.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Found a post on planet9 site telling how to test with a smiple lead and with having a spare wiring loom i was able to make a lead to apply voltage to the solenoids one at a time, first off without the engine running to hear them click and then again with the engine ticking over to hear a change in the engine note when actuated.

I found i had no click on the solenoid on bank 4-6, so order a new one
bank 1-3 was fine clicked when tested with the engine off and heard the engine
note change when actuated with the engine ticking over
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

Good find!

For others searching on this could you provide the link or a wiring diagram?

Can you get at the solenoids with the engine in the car?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Whitecliffs,
Glad to read your excellent diagnosis. What a change to read a simple diagnostic procedure instead of one with expensive tools and cryptic readout numbers !
A link to the test procedure on Planet 9 would be very useful!
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

I'll try and find it again as i looked at so many different links when seaching with so many getting me nowhere
Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

Whitecliffs,
I tried a Google search of the site you mentioned but could not find a specific diy test . There were several threads about testing the Variocam solenoids but no DIY. So your hunt for the details will be eagerly anticipated.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

I trust there's no special care to be taken when activating the solenoids with the car at idle. New Durametric and feeling my way around...
Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
I trust there's no special care to be taken when activating the solenoids with the car at idle. New Durametric and feeling my way around...
None. The idle will change and become somewhat "lumpy" momentarily was the cams move, and you should be able to see the cam angle change as well.