Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #1

Garage
Oil Level

Hi all:

I have a 2004 S and I encountered a problem this morning. Two days ago before a run, I checked the oil level w/ the electronic indicator and noticed that the level was low by 2 bars. I thought, it's due for an oil change soon so no need to top off the level now. When I started the car this morning, I drove a few hundred feet and the oil light came on. I went back into the garage and added a quart of oil. Restarted the car and the oil light came on again.

I did not check the oil on the dip stick since I had just started the car plus I was now late for work. There are no leaks on the floor. I'm thinking it could be the sending unit but I don't know where it's located to change it. Any thoughts or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

By oil light do you mean a blinking low oil indicator under the bars that show the oil level, or do you mean the dedicated oil light that is down with the other lights such as check engine light?

If it is the one that is down by the other check engine lights, that one means oil pressure low.

Running the oil 2 bars below the top is totally fine, I run my oil a couple of bars below the top (I like to run it in the middle) because I have found if I run it at (or even above as I did once accidentally) the full line I can blow a smoke bomb when I go to the track. I have a 2000 so my oil lines are different and may represent different quantities than the newer models.

Low oil could also cause a low oil pressure, but two bars below the top should not be low enough to cause any problem.

Here is a thread with a few different possible ideas for low oil pressure (if it is that light)
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/17165-oil-pressure-warning-light-coming.html

The manual says if you get the low pressure oil light on, and the oil is at the proper level, then don't drive and have it taken to a shop to get it checked out.

This article has the locations for the oil pressure and oil level sensors:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Engine Sensor Replacement - 986 / 987

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Garage
Steve,

Thanks, it is the oil pressure light that came on. Thanks for the links. I'll try replacing the pressure sensor first and change the oil to see if that is the problem.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Hopefully it is just the sensor, I think a few folks have had that.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #5

Garage
Just a quick note, I replaced the oil pressure sensor and changed the oil so all is good again as far as the Boxster is concerned.

The best way to reach the sensor is through the front access panel. You can get a wrench on the sensor at that point. However, you need to snake your hand in through the top in order to grab the sensor and change it out.

The hardest part of the job was getting ready to do the job.