Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Garage
The Official Unofficial Tiptronic Thread

I have noticed that none of the Boxster sites has a particular thread that relates to Tiptronic transmissions so I thought I would start one that caters to Tiptronic issues, solutions, general knowledge and conversation.
My 1999 Boxster came with a Tiptronic trans which I generally drive in "M" mode and after five years of use still thoroughly enjoy and would not go back to a stick. It has operated flawlessly in AX, DE and spirited back road driving. I've never had a problem keeping up with more powerful cars on twisty road driving and my left foot enjoys tapping the footrest while my thumbs do the shifting work. I enjoy the fact that I can't over rev the car and I'll never miss a shift and don't have to "paddle the canoe" in traffic or worry about roll back on hills with stop signs.
I hope this can be a place to help one another with Tiptronic issues that may arise, although mine has performed without incident.

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm still trying to figure out how to really use the tip. I've been driving it for about six months in an 01 Base and it still feels awkward to me when I use it in 'M'. Most often now, I just leave it in 'D' and poke it with my thumb for decels when it passes below about 3K. Once I'm ready to accelerate, I do a quick left-right with the stick to set it back to D.
I should probably read my owner's manual for tips on the tip. I'd really like to get the most out of it. For now I strongly prefer my 5-speed unless I'm just driving around town for groceries.
Any suggestions (practical exercises?) on how to re-train myself to drive it properly?
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
I love my Tip. Had it for 2 years now and have learned how to use it correctly. Yes I highly enjoy leaving my left leg planted and both hands on the steering wheel.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I've read that the tips are pretty robust. Mine suffered from a problem in the harness, having to do with the temperature sensor if I remember correctly. It was doing the D and 4 winky thing but functioned normally. I drained the transmission, removed the bottom, and replaced the harness. Not a difficult job, just finicky getting the levels right on refill. Works fine now.
I occasionally miss the tactile, mechanical feeling of the stick. You feel more connected. But NOT in traffic!!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Jake Raby mentioned a 4.0l 400+ HP engine and I asked him if the Tip could handle that much power. Here is what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
With disassembling, or without?

With disassembly I can turn that engine into a 4 liter and get over 400HP from it. Its routine around here.
You're making my mouth water. Can a Tiptronic trans handle that much power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Yes. The tip will handle more power than a manual.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Jake Raby mentioned a 4.0l 400+ HP engine and I asked him if the Tip could handle that much power. Here is what he said.

You're making my mouth water. Can a Tiptronic trans handle that much power?
Porsche's Tips are made by Mercedes and are tanks. They should not have a problem with that hp.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

Some info regarding the Boxster tip.

1997-1999 Porsche Boxster: Model A86/00
2000-2004 Porsche Boxster: Model A86/05
2000-2004 Porsche Boxster S: Model A86/20

designed and built by ZF Friedrichshafen AG's subsidiary in Saarbrücken

The generic and base model name for the trans for buying parts and referencing is

ZF 5HP-19

ZF 5HP19 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Introduced in 1996, it is still in production, and has been used in a variety of cars from Audi, BMW, Porsche, and Volkswagen Passenger Cars. in modified configurations it is used in all wheel drive audis.

Weak points are the torque converter bushing and the cooling valve. Be careful when replacing the hose leading to the cooling valve as the aftermarket replacement nylon hoses will melt and not allow the trans to cool and will allow the trans to overheat. If you have a trans leak at the bell housing do not just replace the torque converter seal. check to see if the bushing is worn out because if it is worn out, you will be just wasting your time replacing the seal.

Most of the time you will not find much info in the porsche forums relating to these, but if you go to the other forums where this transmission is used like the BMW forums you will find all the issues these trans are known for. They actually have guys tearing down and rebuilding these transmissions, and posting repairs.

Last edited by healthservices; 04-01-2015 at 03:35 PM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
After reading healthservices post, I though this might be a good spot to post a little more info.

Here's the PelicanParts Tip service DIY:
Pelican Technical Article: Changing Boxster Automatic Transmission Fluid - 986 / 987

A ZF 5HP service video from ZF. Not the best video, because the fill port is apparently on the side of their demo model (BMW?), rather than the bottom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jcRd4gyWc

A better video, but on an Audi A4. It is pretty much identical to our version of the ZF 5HP19:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXil6QQOCmg

If you want to see an in-depth tear down of the transmission look for YouTube videos by "Jeff Richardson" (BMW version of the transmission)

Here's the manufacturer's parts catalog for the Porsche 5HP-19 FL. It has some good diagrams and the fill procedure:
http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/int_print_catalogs_documents/usa_4/5hp19flporsche.pdf
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

There's some pertinent information on this thread concerning draining and refilling the tip:
Engine on the floor. Now what?
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I have noticed that none of the Boxster sites has a particular thread that relates to Tiptronic transmissions so I thought I would start one that caters to Tiptronic issues, solutions, general knowledge and conversation.
My 1999 Boxster came with a Tiptronic trans which I generally drive in "M" mode and after five years of use still thoroughly enjoy and would not go back to a stick. It has operated flawlessly in AX, DE and spirited back road driving. I've never had a problem keeping up with more powerful cars on twisty road driving and my left foot enjoys tapping the footrest while my thumbs do the shifting work. I enjoy the fact that I can't over rev the car and I'll never miss a shift and don't have to "paddle the canoe" in traffic or worry about roll back on hills with stop signs.
I hope this can be a place to help one another with Tiptronic issues that may arise, although mine has performed without incident.
+ 1 on your take on the TIP. Don't forget there are 5 driving 'maps' in the computer that ups the performance depending on your driving style. Good to know it would handle more HP as it certainly could use more....
AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:41 AM   #11

I have a tip and love it. So does my wife who can`t drive a manual.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #12

Tiptronic all the way, wouldn't go back to the stick either. Even got the thick 320mm wheel and paddle shifters that completes the kit

Oh and, I became so good at it that I can blip the throttle between gears / right before downshifting. Used only for a little illegal accel, in the tunnel, when nobody is looking! It just sounds really good (that, with the ricer sound of the 2.5L). Blissss

Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Tiptronic all the way, wouldn't go back to the stick either. Even got the thick 320mm wheel and paddle shifters that completes the kit

Oh and, I became so good at it that I can blip the throttle between gears / right before downshifting. Used only for a little illegal accel, in the tunnel, when nobody is looking! It just sounds really good (that, with the ricer sound of the 2.5L). Blissss

Where did you get that steering wheel?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
+ 1 on your take on the TIP. Don't forget there are 5 driving 'maps' in the computer that ups the performance depending on your driving style. Good to know it would handle more HP as it certainly could use more....
AKL
Brother you need to feed that engine some air!

987 Air Box | 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | K&N Air Filter

987 v 986 Air box

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31693-maf-throttle-body-diameter.html
Old 04-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Where did you get that steering wheel?
This is a RAID steering wheel if I am not mistaken (my indy installed it for me by mistake lol). Not entirely cheap when adding the paddles but quality is unbeatable - does feels exactly like the Ferrari wheel; thick, heavy, solid core/metal, no vibrations, immortal nappa leather and threads

Only avail in the EU for some strange reason
Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Need For Speed

Garage
Thanks for the info, yep they are not cheap price wise.

http://www.carnewal.com/Raid
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
Need For Speed

Garage
How much fluid is needed when doing a filter change?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
How much fluid is needed when doing a filter change?

Thanks!
This should give you everything you need to know.
Pelican Technical Article: Changing Boxster Automatic Transmission Fluid - 986 / 987
Old 04-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
So if you're doing the filter change, you should have 12 liters on hand?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #20

To KRAM26

KRAM36, changed my 02 when i bought it at 46k 6 years ago, if i remember correctly about 6L was enough with pan drop and filter change. Last year i bought a 20L Pentosin from amazon for about $220. the car was at 86k. For three weeks in a row i drained and refilled (drain without pan drop and filter change was only about 4L), on the fourth week i drained, dropped the pan and changed the filter, this was the only method i could figure for a "flush". turned out just right with the 20L jug. What a noticeable difference in transmission performance. just my experience, hope it gives you some direction.

psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote