Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #21

Good that you found the reason for the problem. I think next time you will triple check everything.

Hope that the damage is not caused by the workshop who tried to bring the sensor closer to the DMF flywheel teeth. But it can also be a shipping problem. DMFs are very damageable.

Also please check again the current distance between the modified sensor and the DMF teeth. If the distance is too close this can cause problems, because the voltage generated by the sensor will be different. This can sometimes confuse the ECU.

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #22

Very odd that so many flywheel teeth are so badly bent. The DMF must have been dropped on edge? There would have been major damage to the packaging - and to whatever it hit !
My LuK DMF arrived packed very well.

It would be possible to bend the teeth using a long screwdriver instead of the correct flywheel lock.
Suggest you read this to understand more:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Clutch Replacement - 986 / 987
There are some diy flywheel lock Posts.The part has 'comb-like' teeth on it to engage the starter ring teeth and a single bolt hole.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #23

jeez I never would have expected teeth to be bent on a new flywheel. Kind of explains the weird behaviour of the engine. I think that since there's more than one tooth bent that it must have been dropped (or thrown as UPS folks are prone to)-hard!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #24

Garage
It was a bummer - The box it came in was a bit beat up but have seen worse - Think it may have been something else in the box that shifted and hit the teeth.

Triple checking everything - now things take way too long but will do that for a while i suspect till some confidence in workmanship comes back.

We built a stay for the DMF to keep it in place that worked off the teeth on the starter ring - and also had the pin in on the front to stop any movement while it was tourqued

Here is a pic - Top in the new - bottom is the old.

Still cant believe I missed this.

Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #25

Timing teeth, not starter teeth.
You could bend those straight?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #26

Garage
It may come to that - bending them straigh - or I am taking it to an orthodontist and get it braces - maybe not... cheaper to by a new flywheel then a trip to the orthodontist. Yes it was the starter teeth we locked to.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #27

Garage
Going to see if the company it was bought from will take it back in exchange - if not going to try to straighten the teeth - I can already hear the "DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!! - Yes it was the starter gear teeth that we locked it up with
Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #28

Well you're on your way back anyways...
Old 03-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #29

Garage
Going to try to bend them straight - need to order new bolts before I do the install. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #30

Garage
Flywheel supplier says on occasion the teeth get damaged in transport and asked me to straighten them out and try it first.

Straightened the 3 bent teeth just after the gap. Re installed flywheel, Clutch and Transmission,

Did a test start - Fired up immediately - WOOOO HOOOO

Putting the rest of it back together over the weekend - 4 months and an extra $2000 later we got a winner.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance:

Last edited by Duezzer; 03-27-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #31

Success!!!
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #32

How did you bend it back to even so you feel confident you haven't weakened the teeth?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 AM   #33

Garage
I took one hammer and placed it behind the tooth snug up against it and tapped that hammer with another hammer - in my head this gave me the feeling of more control. First thought was to grab a set of vice grips and grab on an bend it back. Decided not to do it that way after a quick discussion with the fellow helping me with the car. We didn't want to take the chance of ruining/damaging the outer finish on the teeth. Even with padding it could cause marking or compromise the surface coating.

Really do not believe this would weaken the teeth to a point that would ever cause a failure.. Only moved it about .25 to 1.25 mm depending on the tooth.