Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Garage
Engine Mount Inserts - New Item

I'm on the ECS tuning email distribution for my 986. I love and hate it. I spend more money there that I didn't know I needed to spend than I should. They are always pushing some cool thing...i really should un-subscribe :-)

Anyhow, this came today - Engine Mount Inserts. Was wondering if anyone has experience with something like this?

I know on my Z4 M Coupe, changing the motor mounts made a WORLD of difference. The cars were tuned a bit for the "masses", if you wanted a more performance oriented feel to the clutch, you definitely needed to change the motor mounts. Stock are WAY too soft.

But I hadn't considered it until ECS told me I needed it.

Details on the ECS site say:
The OEM engine mount was designed for ride comfort and is prone to sagging and tearing – above all, it is a detriment to performance. Its empty voids allow for too much engine movement, resulting in sloppy handling, numbed responsiveness, and imprecise shifting. Racecars utilize a solid metal mount to mediate this, which is impractical for street use as it transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin.
Any thoughts?

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
I'm on the ECS tuning email distribution for my 986. I love and hate it. I spend more money there that I didn't know I needed to spend than I should. They are always pushing some cool thing...i really should un-subscribe :-)

Anyhow, this came today - Engine Mount Inserts. Was wondering if anyone has experience with something like this?

I know on my Z4 M Coupe, changing the motor mounts made a WORLD of difference. The cars were tuned a bit for the "masses", if you wanted a more performance oriented feel to the clutch, you definitely needed to change the motor mounts. Stock are WAY too soft.

But I hadn't considered it until ECS told me I needed it.

Details on the ECS site say:
The OEM engine mount was designed for ride comfort and is prone to sagging and tearing – above all, it is a detriment to performance. Its empty voids allow for too much engine movement, resulting in sloppy handling, numbed responsiveness, and imprecise shifting. Racecars utilize a solid metal mount to mediate this, which is impractical for street use as it transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin.
Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, they do not prevent the factory mounts from deteriorating, so they will not improve worn mounts to any great degree. If your mounts already have a lot of miles on them, you would be better off buying the 987 mounts which are improved over the original units.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Hi,

first i would check if the OEM engine mount is OK. Do not use the ECS mount with a worn OEM mount. This won't work.

The ECS mount is added to the original mount at the back of the engine. It will cause the engine move less.

PRO:
More stability in fast corners and if you have load changes.

CON:
Engine and transmission noises can became much much louder in the car. Also there can be resonances, or vibrations in specific RPM areas. I wouldn't recommend that for cars that are used as a daily driver.

I don't think that it will improve the clutch too much. It's more an improvement for dynamic driveabilty at high speeds.

Porsche uses dynamic engine mounts in the newer turbo and GT3 cars that adapt stiffness according to the running conditions.

Regards from germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Unfortunately, they do not prevent the factory mounts from deteriorating, so they will not improve worn mounts to any great degree. If your mounts already have a lot of miles on them, you would be better off buying the 987 mounts which are improved over the original units.
Oh, good call! thx!!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

I didn't have any obvious symptoms indicating that my engine mount was toast but I decided to replace it since I was doing the water pump ( since a rad had split...). Surprisingly it was hanging on by a thread. Porsche automatically sells you the improved 987 version and I was amazed at the improvement. The car felt more solid/ stable, especially in the rear. I had no idea it could make so much of a difference. The shifter was more precise as well. When entering corners at a pace the car felt like 1 sweet road-carving piece instead of 2 or 3. Tire sidewalls, springs, shocks, anti-roll bars and engine mount all working in harmony. And my car had no vibrations or obvious engine twisting issues before hand.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I didn't have any obvious symptoms indicating that my engine mount was toast but I decided to replace it since I was doing the water pump ( since a rad had split...). Surprisingly it was hanging on by a thread. Porsche automatically sells you the improved 987 version and I was amazed at the improvement. The car felt more solid/ stable, especially in the rear. I had no idea it could make so much of a difference. The shifter was more precise as well. When entering corners at a pace the car felt like 1 sweet road-carving piece instead of 2 or 3. Tire sidewalls, springs, shocks, anti-roll bars and engine mount all working in harmony. And my car had no vibrations or obvious engine twisting issues before hand.
Were new side stops included with the mount?

As for the ECS Tunning parts.

Kinda pricy, but the yellow street version seems pretty slick.

This set on eBay is right in the middle of the ones at ECS with 75A durometer bushings and much cheaper.

Torque Solution Porsche Engine Mount Inserts Fits Porsche 986 Boxster 1997 2004 | eBay
Old 02-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #7

If you still have the original mounts on your 986 their is a very highly likelihood regardless of number of miles that you need a new one.The first sypmtom on my was a sloppy shifter. While your are at it check the transmission mounts.

The insert from ECS and others could be worthwhile at the risk of excessive vibration and resounance. These inserts for motormounts have been around for some time. I've found them to be annoying on the cars I've put them on. To me this is more of a track car thing.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

I don't know what 'side stops' you're talking about.
Those inserts may be a viable option but I feel the 987 OE option was perfect ( just as the OEM ROW 030 suspension was). At around $160 (Sunset Porsche) I wouldn't stray...
Old 02-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
Part #3 in this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
If you still have the original mounts on your 986 their is a very highly likelihood regardless of number of miles that you need a new one.The first sypmtom on my was a sloppy shifter. While your are at it check the transmission mounts.

The insert from ECS and others could be worthwhile at the risk of excessive vibration and resounance. These inserts for motormounts have been around for some time. I've found them to be annoying on the cars I've put them on. To me this is more of a track car thing.
ECS shows a street version too, but at that price, they can keep em. I love ECS Tunning too.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-27-2015 at 02:00 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote