Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Chamfer on the Power Steering Fitting

Does anyone know the chamfer angle and size on the 986 power steering fitting? I need to make custom fitting for electric power steering conversion. I'm assuming its the same chamfer on both low and high pressure hoses?

martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

I don't think the exact chamfer angle is critical - its usually machines on the shaft to help locate the shaft into the bore.
But if you need to know, just measure the outside shaft diameter & the internal chamfer diameter and work from there.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I don't think the exact chamfer angle is critical - its usually machines on the shaft to help locate the shaft into the bore.
But if you need to know, just measure the outside shaft diameter & the internal chamfer diameter and work from there.
I assumed that the chamfer was the sealing face, like in the AN fittings. I worked out about 15 degrees using your method. If someone could confirm that the chamfer is just for locating and not sealing that would be great.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

GSR -6AN Power Steering Rack Fittings - Porsche 911, Boxster
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
I think their price is ridiculous. I know its a low volume product, but I can't allow myself to spend $150 on two fittings (shipped). My friend said he can machine the fittings for free as long as I give him the drawings.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

the gsr products don't look machined - they look like the ps fitting is welded to an AN fitting. buy some used ones on ebay and do the same thing (or take a saw to yours ...)?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
the gsr products don't look machined - they look like the ps fitting is welded to an AN fitting. buy some used ones on ebay and do the same thing (or take a saw to yours ...)?
I was thinking about it but the problem is that the stock fittings are non ferrous so they would be a ******************** to weld (possibly brass?). I don't know anyone who could do it. It looks like gsr did machine the Porsche fitting bit from steel and then just welded on a 6an fitting.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
They are 2 fittings welded together. I purchased the Pump kit form GSR the beginning of last year it was on sale.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 , electric power steering , power steering