Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #1

Anyone tried the Sprintbooster

I was wondering if anyone have tried the sprintbooster that plugs into your e-gas pedal. I was reading a review of it on caymanclub, seems impressive but it was sent from a sponsored advertiser of the forum...so I was hoping maybe somebody else have tried it preferably on a 986.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #2

They don't make one for 996/986 but I hear they're developing it.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #3

Here is the info I got from www.sprintboostersales.com, which makes me think that it works so long as you have e-gas. I didn't see the part available for the 986 model, which partially makes me suspect you may be right. On the other hand, at gmpperformance, I do see it available when I go through the process of entering my car's info...which makes me think the connector that is used in the e-gas is the same for 986/996 and 987/997. Anyhow, I copied the info for the sprint booster below and also the link they have at gmp where I saw it available for the 986.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=byVehicle_list_parts&CID=5758

SprintBooster, a Plug-n-Play Performance Upgrade for your Model Year 2000 or later vehicle. This is an upgrade that you can feel with normal everyday driving, not just on the track at redline like most other performance upgrades!

Most cars in the 21st century have replaced the more conventional throttle cable for an ECM (Electronic Control Module) that translates how hard the pedal is pushed into electronic signals in order to provide power to the wheels.

The ETC (Electronic Throttle Control), which is also known as Drive-By-Wire, has the unfortunate downside of delayed response and subdued acceleration, which can create problems in certain situations such as up-hill starts, quick gearchanges and overtaking.

SprintBooster overcomes this throttle response delay for your vehicle by providing crisp, on-tap acceleration for whenever the driver demands it.

Get more from your vehicle, fit a SprintBooster today!
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #4

Seems pretty expense for something that was once accomplished by putting a smaller cam on the throttle body. I can think of many other worthwhile upgrades for $300.

In 6 months there will be a hacked version on ebay for $20.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #5

The 986/996 use a potentiometer that is separate from the pedal assembly while the 997/987 cars use a lighter setup where the potentiometer is integrated into the pedal assembly. So even if you had the $$ to throw away, the connectors on the two setups are different so the 987/997 sprintbooster won't work on the 9x6 cars.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholyoak
The 986/996 use a potentiometer that is separate from the pedal assembly while the 997/987 cars use a lighter setup where the potentiometer is integrated into the pedal assembly. So even if you had the $$ to throw away, the connectors on the two setups are different so the 987/997 sprintbooster won't work on the 9x6 cars.

-Todd
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #7

I'd like to add one other observation to this post. I noticed the hesitation on my '02 Box S from day one, especially on heel/toe down shift blips. After installing an Evo Hi-Flo air filter, secondary cat bypass pipes and a sport muffler, that hesitation is virtually non-existent. I think letting the engine breath a little better has cured most of that hesitation, as opposed to an e-gas problem.

Perhaps an expert could chime in on my findings?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
SprintBooster overcomes this throttle response delay for your vehicle by providing crisp, on-tap acceleration for whenever the driver demands it.
This kind of mod has been around for a while on other cars. Yes, it can be as cheap as $20 on eBay. But whether $20 or $300 it's still a rip off. You can accomplish the same effect through the simple method of putting your #$%^& foot down! More crisp acceleration is already on-tap whenever the driver demands it - it's called an accelerator pedal.

Besides, if this thing always makes you drive like a lead foot, do you think you'll really want this when gas prices go back up again?

It's just silly, silly, silly....

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #9

E gas plug find Boxster 986

Hello i cant find the connector from the E Gas at a Boxster 986 from 2003.
Have anyone an idee or some Pictures where i can find the connector?
Many thanks
Capt.Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #10

I was the first one to install a sprint booster on a 986. Go here for full installation pictures.

http://forums.rennlist.com/

Once on the forums, go down and click "Boxster and Boxster S"

Once in this, go to the "search this forum" and type in Sprintbooster. My install post will be there.

I love mine by the way. No throttle hesitation at all now.

Jon

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

Hello and thanks but i cant find your install post

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Do you have an direkt link for me?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #12

Cannot do a direct link from Rennlist.

URL link works so go back into rennlist, then you will see all the different car models to choose from. Choose Boxster and Boxster S (986).

Once your in that sub thread, go into the right corner about midway and you will see a search button. Once you pick it, a box will drop down.

Type in Sprintbooster. It will take you there.

Or you could type in "jwade" on a search within rennlist and it may pop up...

By the way, your going to have to become a member I think to see the pictures.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 AM   #13

I found it thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #14

Sprint Booster Rocks!

I am a new (3 week) owner of a 2001 Boxster S Tip.(with just 18000 miles) I ordered the book 101 for your Porsche Boxster from Pelican Parts and found project #94, Installing a Sprint Accelerator Booster. Because I noticed the distinct lag in accelerator response in all types of driving and the pronounced delay from mashing the pedal to actual response. I was instantly curious and ordered one. While waiting for the part to arrive I read numerous post on this subject in this forum both against and for this small expensive addition. Well I received and installed the Booster today. NOW this Boxster S Tiptronic is the car I was hoping for! In Sport mode it completely enhances the driving experience while accelerating more smoothly and allowing the car to shift in proper timing while maintaining consistent acceleration. Just Pure Fun Driving Pleasure. In Race mode there is no hesitation or lag at all. I can not wait to Track her. I know this is just an electronic change and not an add in HP or torque, but this is a different car now! It responds the way I expected it should and acts like it was just given a brand new heart! If you can afford this upgrade, THEN DO IT! You will not regret it.
chaddar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Just press the accelerator more. Same result.

There is no change in true throttle response as the engine and ECU remain unchanged. All this does is remap the amount of throttle as a function of pedal distance. In doing so, it can give the perception of more throttle response but you can do the same on your own by simply being more of a lead foot.

Many new cars come tuned this way from the factory with a fairly high gain throttle at initial tip in of the accelerator. This gives the impression that the car is very powerful since you feel so.much power for just a small amount of pedal movement. The problem is that this gain can't be sustained through the full distance of the pedal. If you tried to do so, you will reach full throttle at 80% pedal throw and nothing would happen from 80 to 100% of pedal distance.

So, what happens is that the gain is lowered through the middle of the pedal throw so the end point remains the same (WOT = pedal on floor). This results in what feels like a gutless mid-range, i.e., large pedal movement results in smaller than expected throttle opening which feels like the engine has poor midrange power.

In the world of tradeoffs, the average driver remembers the initial perception of power much more so than the lack of midrange power so this is how many cars are delivered. Test it your self. Go drive a low powered car and it will feel decent off the line and gutless in the midrange. It was programmed this way.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-16-2014 at 07:42 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #16

Sorry Friend!

Sorry Friend but it is not same. As I stated I'm not mislead that anything has changed HP or Torque wise, However this car is singing a whole different tune that it didn't sing before no matter how heavy my foot was. Give it a try?
chaddar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #17

Huh. I thought it sounded like a gimmick.....but maybe there is some actual value there for some?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHyTtFzAKw
Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
Certified Boxster Addict

Why SprintBooster Works

Please go to the Sprint Booster site and you will find that it operates exactly as I described.

In fact, it's worse than described. With the Sprint Booster the throttle reaches 100% at 75% pedal throw. After that (from 75% to 100% flat on the floor) nothing happens because the throttle is already full wide open.

As I said, just drive with a lead foot and it's the same.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #19

I also have never understood why people like this thing, it really does next to nothing for a whole lot of money. And, as others have pointed out, if you can't get the pedal to the floor fast enough, your problems lie elsewhere..............
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #20

I looked at pedal position versus % throttle body opening, pedal potentiometer etc. via Durametric when I modified my pedal box for an adjustable pedal. Essentially I was adjusting the full throttle stop position on the new pedal to exactly match the 100 % TB opening and potentiometer movement.

If the Durametric software is accurate then the response to pedal movement is pretty darn good. It snaps to 100% right with your foot, with little delay. One would have to look at other areas such as: intake and exhaust acoustics; fuel trims; cams....and on to get real engine response.

Ergonomically, 100% throttle at 75% throttle position might be uncomfortable