Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
I recieved the Subaru Subwoofer in the mail yesterday. It is quite a compact unit! It measures 10"x 8-5/8"x2". It came with the mounting bracket and plug. I am going to give it a basic test over the weekend. I will also post pics later.
Very curious to hear your opinion of this. Is it a powered unit or does it need an external amp? I just don't see how something smaller than the factory door speaker can push enough air around to add depth and bass to the music but I would love to be wrong cause that sucker is tiny!

juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
Very curious to hear your opinion of this. Is it a powered unit or does it need an external amp? I just don't see how something smaller than the factory door speaker can push enough air around to add depth and bass to the music but I would love to be wrong cause that sucker is tiny!
Have not done anything with it yet, the weather here will not let up! I am hoping to take the car out of hibernation in a week or so. I am not expecting miracles, but maybe it will help a bit.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #43
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
Not sure about his unit, but you are dead wrong about a teensy sub being able to push air!
That 8" kicker with only a 0.3 cubic foot sealed enclosure that I keep harping about sounds like a 12"!

A lot has happened in car audio in the last decade.

What size is your Kicker? Looks like Hogosha's is 6" or under

Last edited by particlewave; 03-28-2015 at 06:01 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #44

The Subaru sub while adds a tad bit more bass is very sub par to the Kicker unit I just installed. I had the Subaru sub in my previous Legacy GT and it was not even close to being able to satisfy my needs for low end.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Not sure about his unit, but you are dead wrong about a teensy sub being able to push air!
That 8" kicker with only a 0.3 cubic foot sealed enclosure that I keep harping about sounds like a 12"!

A lot has happened in car audio in the last decade.

What size is your Kicker? Looks like Hogosha's is 6" or under
The kicker is an 8. although i do think it sounds incredible for what it is it still can't hang with larger subs. I honestly just think it puts out the perfect amount of clear bass, certainly doesn't overwhelm the system.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #46
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I guess you do have less cubic footage and power, so maybe that's the difference. I wish there was some way to convey the sound, but I doubt a video would do it justice.

Mine certainly doesn't make things rattle (thankfully), but it definitely fills out the low end with zero distortion and full, rich sound.
BTW, mine is pushed by an older Sony Xplod 250 watt running in mono (200 watt RMS into 2 ohm mono stable).

Kicker TCVT8.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-28-2015 at 07:55 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #47

I use to have 2 JLW7's and people thought they ere two twelve. Enough to hit 135 DB's. Those were fun. I thought about putting a twelve in the trunk in a custom box but I like having room in the rear and front.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I guess you do have less cubic footage and power, so maybe that's the difference. I wish there was some way to convey the sound, but I doubt a video would do it justice.

Mine certainly doesn't make things rattle (thankfully), but it definitely fills out the low end with zero distortion and full, rich sound.
BTW, mine is pushed by an older Sony Xplod 250 watt running in mono (200 watt RMS into 2 ohm mono stable).

Kicker TCVT8.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it sounds amazing. I know those W7s would have sounded amazing as well and they can be mistaken for 12s. Its just the age old no replacement for displacement. It does go for speakers as well.. You can turbo a car to get more performance, you can change speaker materials and enlarge the boxes and get better performance, but in the grand scheme of things you can do the same to the larger speakers. I completely agree that nowadays speakers are far far far superior to what we used to have and can make much better sound it a much smaller enclosure, I won't argue that fact. I have been doing car stereos in just about everything I have owned for 15 years now and I truly love having some great sound without too much compromise. I remember back in the day I had two competition 12 inch audiobahns in the back of my trans am, sounded great but took up the whole trunk. A couple years ago I had a ten inch box made that fit in a fairly useless space in the car, tweaked it best I could with a hidden amp, and still sounds great. We are definitely making strides!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #49
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
I know I'm a rookie to the forum, but I have been using the search button like crazy, trying to soak up as much information as possible. One of the projects I plan on doing this season is speaker upgrades, dash first, doors next, and eventual rear deck installation. I have not picked out a new head unit yet. The subject of Subwoofers has come quite a bit, and some of the solutions have been fantastic.

Like some, I would love an under the seat subwoofer, but the limited clearance has thrown a monkey wrench into our efforts. Nine8Six has even scoured the market place near him without any luck. But I think I may have found a limited solution, and if this has already been discussed, please disregard. It seems Panasonic makes, or has made the under seat Subwoofer in the Subaru Impreza. It measures 2" x 8.5" x 10" , and is 120W. Although not he most powerful, this form factor might be just the ticket for some of us here that just want a bit more OOMF to round out the sound. They can be had for as little as $80 used on eBay. I think it is a 6 wire plug that would need to be spliced.
Patrick, did you ever get this installed and working?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #50
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Have not done anything with it yet, the weather here will not let up! I am hoping to take the car out of hibernation in a week or so. I am not expecting miracles, but maybe it will help a bit.
Did you ever install this in your car? If so did it fit under the seat? How did it sound?
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #51

I have tried everything. I have said it before. The 987 footwell subwoofer fits perfect and sounds great with and aftermarket amp.. 06 Cayman s rwd Porsche 987 Black Bose Sub Subwoofer 99764556600 53 488 | eBay
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #52
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
I have tried everything. I have said it before. The 987 footwell subwoofer fits perfect and sounds great with and aftermarket amp.. 06 Cayman s rwd Porsche 987 Black Bose Sub Subwoofer 99764556600 53 488 | eBay
JAAY, do you have a pic of it installed? How much leg room does it take up? Thanks
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #53

Guys!

Save yourselves all the thinking and hard work on a sub and just buy one of these.

Recently bought one and just tucked it behind the passenger seat and it seriously does a really good job loud and or soft with no distortion and a really well rounded bottom end.

No boom and not soft or under powered by any stretch.

I recently installed a whole new system which includes a Pioneer 7"Screen which runs Alpine 4" speakers in the dash and a Kicker amp which runs Alpine 6X9" Speakers in the doors and of course the Kicker Hideway Sub.

Could not be happier and its sounds fantastic with its clarity,separation,volume and power as a whole system and ease of install.
R8 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #54
On the slippery slope

Garage
That works fine if you are willing to give up 3 or 4 inches of leg room.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
That works fine if you are willing to give up 3 or 4 inches of leg room.
Cheers...the gap required is no more than what I would suggest is already there for most Boxster owners as just that small empty gap behind the bottom of the seat and the firewall.

Mine was a small gap with the seat set as it was and I thought I would have to lose some leg room but it did not work out that way.

Mine is deliberately jammed up hard against the back of the seat back and firewall carpet as I wanted to see how it sounded fitted that way first so as to not compromise leg room.

I haven't changed it since as I am very happy with how it sounds without having to give it more breathing room.

I am 6,2 and the passenger seat lines up with the drivers seat looking across the top of the seats

R8 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote