Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

where to buy a MAF sensor

It seems that the MAF sensor triggered the engine light, but the P/N for the sensor on Pelican does not quite match the one called for my car ('07 3.4 CS), since the P/N seems to be for a slightly older model.

And it seems that one from the dealer costs more that $500...

Any suggestions?

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #2

Rockauto is where I bought mine.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
Rockauto is where I bought mine.
Yes I saw the one offered by RockAuto but the part number they offer is for a slightly earlier model 986xxx the same goes for the MAF offered by Pelican, that is why I was wondering if it makes a difference or not..
Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

I got mine from Amazon, but it was for a 2000S.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #5

I bought mine from Pelican, and since they support this forum its a way of you also supporting the forum.

Pelican is great, I am trying to solve a problem and when I replaced the MAF and there was no improvement everything was still pointing to the MAF so I wrote them asking if they thought the MAF could be bad and they immediately sent me a return authorization with prepaid return postage, and then they delivered a new one to me as well all at no extra cost.

Turns out that this one is the same so I conclude that the first one was probably OK as well.

The great service from Pelican is hard to beat and the prices are good as well.

I'd recommend them as your source for a MAF. Call their service staff to ask for a recommendation on a MAF as they seem to have experts answering the phones about parts compatability.

Even if your part is not listed its still worth a call to see what they recommend.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-30-2014 at 06:28 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #6

Edit: already mentioned ^

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-30-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I bought mine from Pelican, and since they support this forum its a way of you also supporting the forum.
You are right about Pelican, they have outstanding service..!

My question was because the P/N for the MAF sensor they offer is not the same P/N as the one on my car and I am not sure if they will be 100% compatible..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Parts that i have pulled out of my car often are stamped with unfindable part numbers. Often they have been replaced/upgraded. Get the part that is recommended and plug it in. It will most likely work.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Parts that i have pulled out of my car often are stamped with unfindable part numbers. Often they have been replaced/upgraded. Get the part that is recommended and plug it in. It will most likely work.
NewArt,

The P/N 987.618.634.07 is P/N for the OEM MAF sensor (according to the Durametric reader), the car has 70k and this will be the first time it will get replaced..
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #10

987.606.125.00 is what Porsche shows for your car. I'm betting the Durametric software (it cant read the part number from the MAF) is outdated.

$212.64. You can pick it up on my account in Irvine at a Will Call window off the Jamoboree and the 5.

Bring cash. Let me know if you want the address.

FYI: no need for "great service" if you get the part right the first time
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

FYI: the part number Durametric is spewing doesn't even come up in the PET parts software as a good number.

and.. I'm betting your MAF is fine. You had the unplugged 02? right? in another thread? Clear the codes, drive it.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
987.606.125.00 is what Porsche shows for your car. I'm betting the Durametric software (it cant read the part number from the MAF) is outdated.

$212.64. You can pick it up on my account in Irvine at a Will Call window off the Jamoboree and the 5.

Bring cash. Let me know if you want the address.
Brad,

Actually my office is not far from Jamboree and the 5 FWY, could you please provide the address and I will stop today before 5pm.

Thanks for the offer..!

PS:The check engine light came on before I swapped the front engine mount, and the yellow O2 sensor wire was disconnected after the light came on was on before.

Last night I cleared the light with the Durametric and it came back this morning as soon as I left my house...

Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #13

I sent you a PM with the address. You cannot pick it up after 4:30pm. Let me know via txt if you can make it today or not I sent my direct cell number in a PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #14

Oh.. cash.. green bills.. no check.. no CC I gave you the total above. Have exact change the best you can. They will send you inside another office to pay

The account is under IE AutoSport (will call people will ask you)
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Oh.. cash.. green bills.. no check.. no CC I gave you the total above. Have exact change the best you can. They will send you inside another office to pay
Brad, I made it around 4:25... but it worked great... Thank you!

Now my car is sitting on a nice shade without the engine cover until cools down, and waiting for it's new part.. :-) Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #16

Great! Glad I could help! Contrary to popular belief? I'm not a complete di_k
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
NewArt,

The P/N 987.618.634.07 is P/N for the OEM MAF sensor (according to the Durametric reader), the car has 70k and this will be the first time it will get replaced..
I think the Durametric is telling you that's the part number for the DME COMPUTER. Notice it's printed before any fault codes.

For my 2000 986 the PET gives the DME module as 996 618 605 00. All the DME modules part numbers are of the form 996 618 6xx xx.

Last edited by DennisAN; 07-31-2014 at 06:24 AM.
DennisAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #18

I like that you are *reading* into this.. BUT.. BUT 996.618.XXX.XX is also used for the interior alarm sensors, brackets, plastic covers... you name it

In the PET program? Hit the "binoculars" in the tool bar, then hit the tab "part number" and dump in his 987.618. number.. you'll get a "not in stamm" My PET has the new 2014 GT3 in it in 3D renderings (as well as all the 9X1 cars) so.. I have a very recent update