Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #21

A less violent alternative might have been this?
NEW Development – DOF Oil Feed Plate
And it has other benefits too.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I like the concept. You get the advantages of the Bilt Racing Oil Cooler Delete. For installing external oil cooler. Eliminates heat exchanger. M96/M97 only. - Parts & Upgrades - Products LN Engineering while supporting the DOF.

Maybe another time. I am anxious to check out the transmission that we rebuilt by ourselves.
3_Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #23

Quote:
And draw backs. On the Boxster M96, use of this plate requires the use of the smaller base engine oil cooler in order to fit under the intake manifold; so you give up oil cooling capacity and the oil runs hotter. In no way is that an advantage.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
And draw backs. On the Boxster M96, use of this plate requires the use of the smaller base engine oil cooler in order to fit under the intake manifold; so you give up oil cooling capacity and the oil runs hotter. In no way is that an advantage.
Yikes! We want cooler oil, not hotter. I guess I thought that a remote oil cooler could be larger.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #25

Hi,

could you please provide us with infos which model year and engine type has which kind of ims? (double row, single row, encapsulated with grease, engine oil lubricated…)

Thanks in advance

PS: my Boxster S was buildt January 2003 at Valmet Automotive, Uusikaupunki, Finland.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 08-02-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #26

Hi Marcus!
The Bad, the Ugly and the Good, part 1

scroll down to find the answer here:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #27

Hi Tony,

thanks a lot!

Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Angels View Post
Yikes! We want cooler oil, not hotter. I guess I thought that a remote oil cooler could be larger.
If you configured the car to run a remote oil cooler, it might, but most people (and correctly so) want to run the large "S" oil to water OEM cooler as it effectively cools the oil in the summer and warms it on cold starts in the winter, and it simply will not fit under the Boxster intake with that plate underneath it. And I have no idea where you would mount a remote oil cooler of any appreciable size on a street driven Boxster so that it could get ample air flow over it; there is little room at the rear of the car, and the front is too far away for the OEM oil pump to handle the load., which is why Porsche went with an oil to water cooler in the first place.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #29

As you can see, there is very little room to work to install the DOF armored hose. I had to unplug the wiring for cylinder number six to have any chance of reasonable access. The reassembly of the 2002 Boxster S should go quickly now that the DOF hose is in place.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #30

DOF armored hose - route to driver or passenger?

The DOF armored hose will reach routing either up and down the driver's side as in A, or, more neatly up and over the intake manifold as in B. Does it make a difference, or is it just a choice? Up and over seems a bit neater with less hose flopping around.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #31

Over the top because it is less vulnerable there?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #32

Car reassembled last night. Transmission shifting smoothly and confidently. Second gear seems rock solid on both max acceleration and deceleration. My fingers are crossed, but there seems to be no evidence of any transmission issue!

The DOF IMS bearing tubing connection on the top of the engine was difficult to tighten with my regular wrenches. I purchased a set of SAE flare nut crowfoot wrenches, and easily tightened the connection with the 7/16 inch wrench.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #33

Very impressed.I hope you'll give us updates .You addressed two issues that otherwise doom these cars to the status(& value) of Triumph Stags/Spitfires
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #34

Not to mention

I had a Buddy who had a 04 911, engine started knocking and he let it go for 13K...and the car was Cherry...it got away before I had a chance to even talk to him.....traded it for a Elise and got 13K in trade....which means he let it go for probably 6K.......sad
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #35

In those few words you subtly imply what the true cost of the IMS disgrace to Porsche owners is. It is many thousands of dollars to those few directly afflicted. But we're all suffering an overall depression in the value of any M96-engined P-car.

Last edited by Gelbster; 08-28-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #36

Quote:
In those few words you subtly imply what the true cost of the IMS disgrace to Porsche owners.It is many thousands of dollars to those few directly afflicted. But we're all suffering an overall depression in the value of any M96-engined P-car.
Unless you just bought one at a depressed price :dance:
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #37

I imply nothing, I simply stated what happened to a friend this week concerning his 911. I simply say that had I known I would have tried to purchase the car from him....he was going to get rid of it anyway. I fail to see how reporting first hand facts disgraces anyone....the truth is the truth

BTW his original engine bit the dust the first 2 months he owned the car, this was a second crate engine that also died. If I reported that owning a 1972 pinto is dangerous if you are rear ended is that a disgrace
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #38

Pdw -relax,no criticism intended unless you designed the M96 :-).
Followers of this thread may find this of passing interest:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22765-dispeling-m96-engine-rumors.html