Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Windshield washer reservoir bottle leaking

It seems fluid is leaking out of the washer fluid reservoir bottle. I've checked all over under the frunk and removed the trim panels to have a look, and I see no leaks there where the reservoir fill tube goes in, or anywhere else. Yet fluid seems to pour out under the car if I refill the reservoir. Can someone tell me how to check where the fill tube attaches to the reservoir bottle? For that matter, where is the reservoir bottle itself? It doesn't appear to be very accessible either from under the car or through the wheel well or via the frunk! Thanks!

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Dave,
You may have to have to remove the wheel and then peel the plastic wheelwell liner forwards to get to the reservoir. Depends how much you like contorting. I just removed the wheel on mine for easier access. An easy DIY to get there. What you find, who knows... Probably just a hose came off the tank.
Mine leaked horribly, but only when using the windshield washer pump. Turns out all I had to do was reconnect the rubber hose to the reservoir. A couple of screw clamps on all the hose connections and all is golden.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks, wish there was an easier way to access such a basic part but what the heck!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
It seems fluid is leaking out of the washer fluid reservoir bottle. I've checked all over under the frunk and removed the trim panels to have a look, and I see no leaks there where the reservoir fill tube goes in, or anywhere else. Yet fluid seems to pour out under the car if I refill the reservoir. Can someone tell me how to check where the fill tube attaches to the reservoir bottle? For that matter, where is the reservoir bottle itself? It doesn't appear to be very accessible either from under the car or through the wheel well or via the frunk! Thanks!
Just below the fill cap, a line connects to the reservoir . I think it's made of plastic and needs to seal with the reservoir. I found that gently pulling on them caused them to snap into place and the leak stopped.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Thanks Woodsman, are you referring to the plastic 'L' shaped fill tube or a different line? The fill tube seems to be connected to a box or perhaps its the side of the reservoir bottle itself, I can't tell because the main part of it is apparently installed inside the wheel well and isn't viewable unless one removes the lining of the wheel well.

While we are on the subject of washer fluid, do you guys put any window cleaning fluid (such as windex or the like) in your washer? Or just plain water?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

Maybe the spout does connect to the actual reservoir- sorry for the confusion. Mine only leaked after I filled it too. Regarding fluid, I've never added any as I only drive it on sunny summer days. Whatever's in mine smells strongly of alcohol- probably $49/ liter Porsche stuff!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Thanks Woodsman, are you referring to the plastic 'L' shaped fill tube or a different line? The fill tube seems to be connected to a box or perhaps its the side of the reservoir bottle itself, I can't tell because the main part of it is apparently installed inside the wheel well and isn't viewable unless one removes the lining of the wheel well.

While we are on the subject of washer fluid, do you guys put any window cleaning fluid (such as windex or the like) in your washer? Or just plain water?
Here in SoCA I put filtered water in mine to prevent spots on the paint, only enought to keep the light off since I rarely use it. When these cars were new I took at least 3 to the dealer for leaking & they always said it was a loose hose.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #8

I had the loose hose problem too. I was without washers from 2008 until 2012 when all I had to do was get behind the wheel-well liner and plug the hose back onto the bottle.

And yes, I zip-tied it on to avoid doing the job ever again.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

Well I removed the wheel and plastic lining inside the well to get a look-see. As I suspected, the L shaped fill tube connects direct to the reservoir bottle there. The connection seemed loose, and was the reason for the leakage. I notice that the fill tube snaps in place with a pair of clips, however it wasn't snug enough to form a seal I guess. I played with the fill tube and found a spot where the leaks stopped, and applied a small spot of silicone adhesive to atop the clip to hopefully keep it in place. Refilled, drove it around, squirted the windshield, and thus far no leaks. Thanks all
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Thanks for reporting back- so often the OP doesn't and it diminishes the value of the thread.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #11

Pictures of resevoir behind wheel well.

Here are pictures of the reservoir behind wheel well with the liner removed. My problem was also that the line had come off the connection. I merely had to slide it back on. It was very snug when I did. I am not sure why the forum rotates the reservoir 90 degrees when I post it.

Fularad is offline   Reply With Quote