Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

2nd Gear Slip-out CMS Shift Arrester

So does anyone have experience with the Shift Arrester from CMS? California Motorsports - Porsche Boxster 986 transmission section

Attached Images

3_Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #2

Garage
I love mine, it gives a noticable improvement in shifting especially 2nd gear. (6-speed)

Install requires removing tail housing, which is easy, reinstalling tail housing is very difficult. It includes a new detent like the G-box 2nd gear popout fix.

Call CMS & they will answer any questions you have about these transmissions.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

You will be upset when you find out: the shift arrester didn't solve the problem

To properly fix your issue? You'll need a new second gear and slider, you'll need to repair or replace the tail housing
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
You will be upset when you find out: the shift arrester didn't solve the problem

To properly fix your issue? You'll need a new second gear and slider, you'll need to repair or replace the tail housing
Thanks gentlmen: Based on comments, I replaced second gear, slider, and synchronizer rings for second gear. I repaired the tail housing. All back together tonight. 2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revisio n3.pdf
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

dude! does your woman allow 6-speeds on the coffee table? if so I bow before your greatness
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
dude! does your woman allow 6-speeds on the coffee table? if so I bow before your greatness
Wouldn't that be nice. No such luck. My Gold Crown is in the living room, the transmission is finished and back in the garage. I'm doing a DOF IMS along with DMF clutch job when parts arrive. I'm adding 600 sq ft pool room along with a lap pool attached to the house. When all that entertainment is completed, maybe we can be fortunate enough to attract a vibrant 65 year old female companion. (I'm retired)
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

Car reassembled last night. Transmission shifting smoothly and confidently. Second gear seems rock solid on both max acceleration and deceleration. My fingers are crossed, but there seems to be no evidence of any transmission issues!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

We don't claim our shift arrester will fix a pop out problem. It will help prevent future ones from happening provided the 2nd gear synchro teeth and slider are in good shape.
CaliforniaMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

Thanks for the clarification.It is a great solution to the #1 reason(??) for a gearbox rebuild.
Here is the part that CMS were too modest to link:
CMS 996 SHIFT ARRESTER – California Motorsports Inc
Yes it is expensive($200) but until someone comes up with a better/much cheaper part it is the best solution?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

Gbox also offers a second gear popout solution. I have one in my 996. Works wonders but, inthink it's a little more than 200.
Trendy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #11

Hey Trendy - yes, I read about the gbox item . Curious why you chose theirs rather than CMS or why not both???
Thanks for any insight.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #12

An educated guess would tell me that the cms is only good for non worn trans and I've seen the gbox cure peoples trans that is starting to see the problem. Now if the problem is left unattended then there really is no cure other than rebuilding that area. As for using both I think that would be over kill but it also wouldn't hurt. All the cms does is fully engage the gear.

This opinion is just my observation from the designs.
Trendy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Hey Trendy - yes, I read about the gbox item . Curious why you chose theirs rather than CMS or why not both???
Thanks for any insight.
The CMS shift arrester is a billett replacement for the oem part & includes a modified detent similar to the G-box, so no need to buy both.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #14

Kudos to Byprodriver -the first and only Forum member to explain this.
Thank you for the education!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Thanks for any insight.
Both cannot be used in conjunction as it will exacerbate the problem.

CaliforniaMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote