Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #21

Quote:
In fact, I picked up two C5 corvette differentials I was going to use,
no strength issue there, just more fab work and expense.
Don't take this the wrong way (I'm ribbing you like a brother would tease you)

You ARE on CRACK

NO way in hell that Nitrous Vette is running the stock trans/rear end

How many times did it shift in the quarter? ONE time. That means it's a two speed power glide. Those transmissions have a really tall first gear (softer launch to keep from blowing the tires off) and the 1-2 upshift is non-violent because of the ratio split between the two gear sets is tall. This allows him/us (I've worked with Pro Stock teams in the past) to control wheel spin on a small tire

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #22

I like your thought process Stick with the Boxster. You have a good idea

Think this way: two power train modules. One for front, one for rear.

This: two Prius setups.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #23

If you've seen these C5 differentials, the axles shafts are huge.
What makes them particularly great for an electric motor setup is they have the transmission bolt to the differential with a shaft input, so putting an electric motor in place of the trans is perfect, direct shaft input from the motor,
This is my secret btw, when the next guy builds an electric car with one remember who told you first.

Chevrolet Corvettes and Independent Rear Suspension - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

A Prius transaxle is not going to handle 400hp. They have two motors in them which is not needed, chain and gears not really needed, and weigh 300lbs. However, some of the parts can be used if you are clever and like to fabricate as I do,
just a big project that needs a sponsor.
nimblemotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #24

Yes

I'm well aware of the layout Not any different than a 928 ... from 1978...

That is very slick.. the way they are adapting the 4L80E (which is in my 3/4 ton truck)

Way way way to much work.. lol 930 4 speed (you wont shift it) handles 800lb ft of torque no problem. The ring and pinion is the same size as a Ford 9 inch
Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #25

Nimble,

What is the update on your project? I am thinking of starting on a similar project to convert my 2004 Boxster. Have acquired a Warp 9 (don't want/need a drag racer) and charger, cntroller and other electric conversion stuff from another guy who converted his 1994 911 Carera. I will need an new adpater plate and batteries and all the good stuff. I am plannign to use the 986 5 speed TX...

What batteries are you using and how many? I see you are using an AC motor. BTW where did you get the adapter plate built?

We should connect and compare notes...
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #26

The car has not been completed and is for sale. Going to part it out soon if no reasonable offers. I have a 9in DC motor in the car. Maybe you can use the trans adapter in your car.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #27

Mind sharing why this project failed? If not no worries mate... could be medical or private we'll understand. Just curious whether it is due to the complexity, R&D cost, parts cost, etc...

Good info in case someone else wants to tackle a similar project. Personally I'm just curious

Thanks for the update btw and luck with the part-off mate
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #28

I don't have the time for it, I'm totally focused on a different project,
Nimble Motorsports Home of the Indy One Electric Kit Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Mind sharing why this project failed? If not no worries mate... could be medical or private we'll understand. Just curious whether it is due to the complexity, R&D cost, parts cost, etc...

Good info in case someone else wants to tackle a similar project. Personally I'm just curious

Thanks for the update btw and luck with the part-off mate
Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #29

Which 9" motor have you used? If it is a Netgain Warp 9, I would be interested in the TX adapter if adapted to a 968 5 speed manual transmission. Please send me pics and price if you want to sell it separately. Who did you get the adapter from? Please PM me and I can send you my contact info. Thanks.

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 04-21-2015 at 12:10 PM.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-wheel-drive , boxster , electric , supercaps